Jump to topic:

What makes a good debater?

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 8:01:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
What are the qualities that make a good debater? Is it logic, rhetoric, experience, and so on?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 8:13:26 PM
5'10 blue eyes strong charisma.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 8:16:40 PM
If you can trick people into thinking they agree with you, that might work.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 1:07:33 AM
At 5/31/2011 8:01:53 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
What are the qualities that make a good debater? Is it logic, rhetoric, experience, and so on?

I think experience is a big part of it.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 1:49:35 AM

I think there are two broad categories that all those things fit into...

1) Substance (what you say), logic, evidence.
2) Style (how you say it), rhetoric, presentation, order, personable, entertaining etc

In order to be a good debater your going to need both. Some people say for instance in just written debates like here on DDO, style is less important cause text only doesn't allow for much style to come through, but in person debates style would be alot more important.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 3:03:11 PM
At 6/1/2011 1:49:35 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

I think there are two broad categories that all those things fit into...

1) Substance (what you say), logic, evidence.
2) Style (how you say it), rhetoric, presentation, order, personable, entertaining etc

In order to be a good debater your going to need both. Some people say for instance in just written debates like here on DDO, style is less important cause text only doesn't allow for much style to come through, but in person debates style would be alot more important.

Good response. I agree...A debater needs to argue something good in a clearer way in these debates. Clarity and quality are two big things here.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Awed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 4:44:51 PM
In something like high school/college debate, it's definitely evidence and knowledge of your evidence. In something like policy/LD debate, how you say it is much less important than what you say. When you're reading at hundreds of words/min, there's not much room to focus on presentation. When I did debate in high school at a national level at tournaments, I'd be reading hundreds of pages of lit just for turns and rebuttals for virtually every argument I could think of.