Jump to topic:

Antiquarianism

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 6:04:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It occured to me a second ago that I might like to have a first edition of 1984 (one of my favorites). I thought it would cost a few hundred dollars but it might be worth it so I did a little investigating. Turns out the going rate for a first edition copy is around $10,000 (http://www.abebooks.com...).

That got me thinking, you could make a lot of money (at least for your inheritors) if you knew which contemporary books would pan out to be classics.

So, if you were in the antique book trade, which contemporary books would you invest in. I would put my money on "god is not Great" and probably a few of Hitchens' other works (like his autobiography). I think Harris, Dawkins and Dennet would surly be good bets too.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 6:05:44 PM
Time Value of money
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 6:12:02 PM
Present value The current worth of a future sum of money or stream of cash flows given a specified rate of return. Future cash flows are discounted at the discount rate, and the higher the discount rate, the lower the present value of the future cash flows. Determining the appropriate discount rate is the key to properly valuing future cash flows, whether they be earnings or obligations.[2]

Assuming that there are 50 years until it becomes a classic, you earn 8% on average from the S&P annually the $10,000 book is actually worth $213.21

Assuming it takes 100 years with an 8% rate the book is actually worth $4.55

Probably an investment that loses you money after factoring in opportunity cost depending on how much you pay (if you spend more than 5 bucks on it)
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 6:14:58 PM
Also considering that you probably won't be around to use the money and as money spent when you are younger inherently gives you more pleasure (more likely to enjoy a vacation to africa when you are 40 than when you are 80) due to decreasing quality of life.

So factor that in and given the knowledge that the book will be a classic in 100 years or even 50 years, the investment is not worth it as it is illiquid until it is deemed a classic and won't be able to be liquidated until you are in your 70's to 80's at least depending upon how old you are.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:28:14 AM
At 6/23/2011 6:04:42 PM, vbaculum wrote:
I would put my money on "god is not Great" and probably a few of Hitchens' other works (like his autobiography). I think Harris, Dawkins and Dennet would surly be good bets too.

None of those. At all. Value comes from rarity. Mass published copies are not rare and thus not valuable as collection pieces. It's the same reason #1 Comics for the past 15-20 years are still rarely break the $100 mark even for CGC 10.0.