Total Posts:66|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Tipping should be eliminated

askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 7:51:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm freaking sick of tipping people for doing their job. And before people start up with the sob stories about these people not getting paid enough, too freaking bad. Workers at mcdonalds don't get paid so what makes you think I should tip you because you can bring me food or drive a car or mix drinks. And seriously the mail? I don't even want to get the mail I get so why would i pay someone to give me junk mail? It's all a bunch of bullcrap. When I start my restaurant tipping will be prohibited.

Waiters
Pizza Delivery people
Drivers
Luggage people
bartenders
mailman
newspaper boy
restaurant tip jars
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 7:56:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 7:55:25 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Last time I checked, nobody was making us tip anyone.

lol what planet are you living on?
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:02:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:05:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 7:56:57 PM, Danielle wrote:


yes that's exactly what's up!
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:07:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 7:51:17 PM, askbob wrote:
I'm freaking sick of tipping people for doing their job. And before people start up with the sob stories about these people not getting paid enough, too freaking bad. Workers at mcdonalds don't get paid so what makes you think I should tip you because you can bring me food or drive a car or mix drinks. And seriously the mail? I don't even want to get the mail I get so why would i pay someone to give me junk mail? It's all a bunch of bullcrap. When I start my restaurant tipping will be prohibited.

Waiters
Pizza Delivery people
Drivers
Luggage people
bartenders
mailman
newspaper boy
restaurant tip jars:

The problem is that they make no money because they're getting tips. You would effectively have to change everyone's opinion overnight otherwise they don't have a livable wage. And before you glibly say "well, that's just too damn bad," this would be catastrophic to the economy. You don't like it because you're frugal, and I dare say you've never worked a job where you received tips.

Secondly, people can tip if they want to. It's on you whether or not you want to be a penny-pinching scrooge.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:08:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Lol@ Danielle's video.

Yah, I don't really get why restaurant owners are not forced to pay their employees minimum wage. I hate that some restaurants force a gratuity for parties over 6 or something. So lame. They should just increase the cost of food :/

I'm forced to give excellent customer service and I'm not allowed to take client tips. We can accept small gifts, like food, but not money.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:08:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 7:56:57 PM, Danielle wrote:


My friends and I basically had that same exact dialogue when we went to dinner together last week. I played the role of Mr. Pink. (Though, if I was with a girl or with acquaintances rather than friends, I'd most likely tip due to societal pressure.)

I never tip otherwise.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:11:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
For me, tipping is reflective of the service I received. If they did an exceptional job and were attentive (not to the point of hovering and being annoying) I'll hook them up. But for terrible service, I've left a penny before. If they were reasonable, then they get 10-20% of the bill. If they were exceptional, I'll give as much as 50%. But you gotta almost play with my balls while giving me a hummer in the parking lot for a tip like that.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:13:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 8:07:46 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
The problem is that they make no money because they're getting tips.

No that's complete bullshitt. It's required law they be paid minimum wage. If they make under minimum wage the employerer must compensate them. Already looked it up.

You would effectively have to change everyone's opinion overnight otherwise they don't have a livable wage. And before you glibly say "well, that's just too damn bad," this would be catastrophic to the economy. You don't like it because you're frugal, and I dare say you've never worked a job where you received tips.

Yeah you're right I actually did work freaking mcdonalds where I made minimum wage. It wouldn't be catastrophic to the economy make an argument that it would.


Secondly, people can tip if they want to. It's on you whether or not you want to be a penny-pinching scrooge.

Why the fvck should I have to give them money to do their job. Last I checked that's their employerers job not mine.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:13:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I always tip. It gets to the point though, where i don't even know who I'm supposed to tip anymore. I tip my tailor, and she usually refuses to accept it. I tip the person who does my eyebrows. I tip my hair dresser. But that's only when they do a bang-up job. At restaurants I tip 20%, unless the service was not good, and I tip them 10. I've only not tipped once, and that was because the service was terrible and it was my birthday. Another time I tried to not tip but they added a 16% gratuity.

But I'd rather restaurants increased their prices and paid their own employees.
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:15:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 8:11:41 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
For me, tipping is reflective of the service I received. If they did an exceptional job and were attentive (not to the point of hovering and being annoying) I'll hook them up. But for terrible service, I've left a penny before. If they were reasonable, then they get 10-20% of the bill. If they were exceptional, I'll give as much as 50%. But you gotta almost play with my balls while giving me a hummer in the parking lot for a tip like that.

For me, I don't tip unless I'm with a girlfriend or coworker due to societal pressure. Otherwise I don't tip. If they did an exceptional job I'll let their manager know. If they did a poor job I'll let their manager know. If they did an acceptable job, i'll say nothing.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:25:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I tip 15% for average service, 18% for decent service, 20% for good service and if I get exceptional service then who knows. I find that what contributes to my decision is not only how good they were but how high the bill was and if the place was crowded or not. I don't see why if I go to a crappy restaurant a good server who gets a 20% tip might only get 5 bucks, but at a better restaurant an okay server might get 10 bucks at 15% tip. If I see that a restaurant isn't at all busy, I might tip a little extra because I know the server isn't making any money that night.

I really hate tipping at the bar though, because unless you have a tab, you're expected to tip after every single drink purchase. For those of us who get multiple drinks, that can get expensive. I never tip more than $1 per transaction though most people I see do. It's ridiculous how much money bartenders make because of that, considering they probably have about 50 transactions an hour (at a busier bar). They should be paid by the owners, especially because of how expensive bars are. They charge you $10 for a cocktail when you can buy a bottle of booze at the liquor store for $20 and make 30 times the amount of drinks. It's annoying.
President of DDO
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:25:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
no one seriously has an argument for this
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:26:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 8:13:48 PM, askbob wrote:
At 6/25/2011 8:07:46 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
The problem is that they make no money because they're getting tips.

No that's complete bullshitt. It's required law they be paid minimum wage. If they make under minimum wage the employerer must compensate them. Already looked it up.:

When I worked as a server, I was paid 3.14 which was always voided because of taxes. That money went directly to Uncle Sam. The only money I made was from tips.

Yeah you're right I actually did work freaking mcdonalds where I made minimum wage. It wouldn't be catastrophic to the economy make an argument that it would.:

If that were to happen overnight it most definitely would be catastrophic. It's incontestable that the companies would have to pay more otherwise it would have to do other things in order to make up the lost revenue.

Minimum wage jobs bring in poor quality and a high turn-over rate. They would have to pay more or suffer the consequences of paying so little in the form of poor retention rates. That means what you would ordinarily pay in a reasonable tip is now embedded into the food costs. If management pays the employees more, then you have to charge at a higher rate to the consumer (you). In effect, you'd be paying what you normally have to, thus negating the entirety of the argument against it.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:27:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 8:25:31 PM, askbob wrote:
no one seriously has an argument for this

Correct. I don't understand tipping whatsoever.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:28:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 8:25:31 PM, askbob wrote:
no one seriously has an argument for this

The only good argument I've seen is that at some restaurants, to pay the servers minimum wage would mean they would have to increase the price of food to the point where going out to eat would be too expensive and the place would go out of business. Keep in mind you're not only paying for the food and service but for the chefs, taxes, rental space or mortgage, electricity, insurance, other costs plus owner profit, etc. I dunno a decent argument that applies to non-restaurants though like pizza places or whatever, or bell hops, etc. I also hate tipping my hair stylist (the magazines all suggest 20%) when my hair costs me over $200. I do though.
President of DDO
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:29:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I also never tip at bars and order all my drinks at once while going to bars. If you don't tip at bars for the second drink and every drink after they will slight you on the alcohol, so I just choose different bars when I go out so I am never remembered.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:29:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 8:13:48 PM, askbob wrote:
At 6/25/2011 8:07:46 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
The problem is that they make no money because they're getting tips.

No that's complete bullshitt. It's required law they be paid minimum wage. If they make under minimum wage the employerer must compensate them. Already looked it up.

That's not true for servers. They make like $2--4 an hour or something.
President of DDO
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:33:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 8:26:11 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 6/25/2011 8:13:48 PM, askbob wrote:
At 6/25/2011 8:07:46 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
The problem is that they make no money because they're getting tips.

No that's complete bullshitt. It's required law they be paid minimum wage. If they make under minimum wage the employerer must compensate them. Already looked it up.:

When I worked as a server, I was paid 3.14 which was always voided because of taxes. That money went directly to Uncle Sam. The only money I made was from tips.

So they paid you 3.14 and 3.14 went to uncle sam? LMFAO if you make 5 dollars an hour you know how much goes to uncle sam? Negative money.

Yeah you're right I actually did work freaking mcdonalds where I made minimum wage. It wouldn't be catastrophic to the economy make an argument that it would.:

If that were to happen overnight it most definitely would be catastrophic. It's incontestable that the companies would have to pay more otherwise it would have to do other things in order to make up the lost revenue.

Still haven't explained how it would be catastrophic lol

Minimum wage jobs bring in poor quality and a high turn-over rate.

People would choose restaurants where there was better quality, and if they were satisified with the poor quality then that clearly is optimal. In order to obtain better quality employees, employerers would have to raise wages.

They would have to pay more or suffer the consequences of paying so little in the form of poor retention rates. That means what you would ordinarily pay in a reasonable tip is now embedded into the food costs.

So now it's impossible for waitresses to get slighted, everyone equally pays for the goods, and you don't have to do math at the table. Yeah that really sucks.

If management pays the employees more, then you have to charge at a higher rate to the consumer (you). In effect, you'd be paying what you normally have to, thus negating the entirety of the argument against it.

Nope see above.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:34:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 8:29:46 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 6/25/2011 8:13:48 PM, askbob wrote:
At 6/25/2011 8:07:46 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
The problem is that they make no money because they're getting tips.

No that's complete bullshitt. It's required law they be paid minimum wage. If they make under minimum wage the employerer must compensate them. Already looked it up.

That's not true for servers. They make like $2--4 an hour or something.

absolutely true for servers, check the state tax code regarding minimum wage. It's in there regardless of your state.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:35:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 8:28:56 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 6/25/2011 8:25:31 PM, askbob wrote:
no one seriously has an argument for this

The only good argument I've seen is that at some restaurants, to pay the servers minimum wage would mean they would have to increase the price of food to the point where going out to eat would be too expensive and the place would go out of business.

Makes no sense. If it was built into the prices the end bill would be the same.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:37:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 8:34:41 PM, askbob wrote:
absolutely true for servers, check the state tax code regarding minimum wage. It's in there regardless of your state.

I dunno what you're referring to specifically but I'm 100% positive that almost all servers do not get paid minimum wage. I know for a fact that Vi never has and she's worked at several restaurants (and her parents own one).
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:38:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 8:35:51 PM, askbob wrote:
Makes no sense. If it was built into the prices the end bill would be the same.

True. I guess people are just too dumb to realize it?
President of DDO
LaissezFaire
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:38:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 8:37:31 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 6/25/2011 8:34:41 PM, askbob wrote:
absolutely true for servers, check the state tax code regarding minimum wage. It's in there regardless of your state.

I dunno what you're referring to specifically but I'm 100% positive that almost all servers do not get paid minimum wage. I know for a fact that Vi never has and she's worked at several restaurants (and her parents own one).

To clarify, askbob means that wages+tips has to be at least minimum wage, or the employer has to make up the difference.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:42:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 8:38:41 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
At 6/25/2011 8:37:31 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 6/25/2011 8:34:41 PM, askbob wrote:
absolutely true for servers, check the state tax code regarding minimum wage. It's in there regardless of your state.

I dunno what you're referring to specifically but I'm 100% positive that almost all servers do not get paid minimum wage. I know for a fact that Vi never has and she's worked at several restaurants (and her parents own one).

To clarify, askbob means that wages+tips has to be at least minimum wage, or the employer has to make up the difference.

Yes sorry I wasn't being clear enough about that thanks LF
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 8:45:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/25/2011 8:38:41 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
To clarify, askbob means that wages+tips has to be at least minimum wage, or the employer has to make up the difference.

OIC. But that still requires tips to be included in order to qualify as reaching minimum wage.

Still they should just have it built into the cost, I agree, but I won't penalize the servers for the crappy system. Plus servers deal with a lot of BS. I usually don't mind. At least that way you can decide how much you want to give, instead of it being built in to the cost. That's an incentive for good service I suppose, as opposed to McDonalds employees. It doesn't make a difference to them if they forget your fries. A good waiter knows they will get paid more for better quality service.
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 9:02:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
How exactly would you eliminate tipping? The only method I can think of seems pretty damn socialist.

I don't like tipping, and I manage to not engage in it without consequence (the only services I've made repeat use of where I was the one paying without tipping where tipping is really expected are cabs, and a cabbie can't spit in my drink), but still.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 9:43:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
My sis makes $2.14 an hour plus tips at an expensive Italian restaurant.. She makes less than min wage with tips added.
kfc