Jump to topic:

Theories for the Mad Gasser of Mattoon

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 5:22:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
From the 1930s to the 1940s, in Botetourt County and Mattoon of Virginia and Illinois, there was a series of bizarre attacks, with victims being gassed and experiencing symptons such as constriction of the mouth and nose, nausea, and headaches within their houses. Despite the reports of prowlers and possible assailants, some theories have surfaced, explaining the series of attacks as a product of mass hysteria, or at least pollution from the nearby industry. Does anyone have a new theory, or would like to consider each of the traditional theories given for the attacks?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
tudaloo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2011 11:25:45 PM
There.....was a big vampire and... it went drinking on night in 1937 and mistakes a chicken for a human. Chickens give the big vampire bad gas. When then big vampire ate the chicken, it let out very bad smelly gas. No one can survive the smell of blood and leftover pork chops.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2011 6:18:30 PM
At 7/10/2011 6:10:09 PM, headphonegut wrote:
what do you mean by constriction?

constriction
[kənstrik′shən]
Etymology: L, constringere, to draw tight
an abnormal closing or reduction in the size of an opening or passage of the body, as in vasoconstriction of a blood vessel. See also stenosis.

(http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...)

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 6:58:38 PM
At 7/9/2011 5:22:11 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
From the 1930s to the 1940s, in Botetourt County and Mattoon of Virginia and Illinois, there was a series of bizarre attacks, with victims being gassed and experiencing symptons such as constriction of the mouth and nose, nausea, and headaches within their houses. Despite the reports of prowlers and possible assailants, some theories have surfaced, explaining the series of attacks as a product of mass hysteria, or at least pollution from the nearby industry. Does anyone have a new theory, or would like to consider each of the traditional theories given for the attacks?

I could swear I had a convo with you about this (briefly) where I mentioned that it was probably mass hysteria combined with an initial 'attack' (or a misidentification). I seem to recall mentioning the Spring Heeled Jack as an analogous example.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 8:14:08 PM
At 7/15/2011 6:58:38 PM, Meatros wrote:

I could swear I had a convo with you about this (briefly) where I mentioned that it was probably mass hysteria combined with an initial 'attack' (or a misidentification). I seem to recall mentioning the Spring Heeled Jack as an analogous example.

We did? I don't remember discussing this or about Spring Heeled Jack (and the role that mass hysteria has played in both events). But thank you for at least posting one of the few serious replies to my initial posts. Vampires and Muslims didn't have to do with the infamous Mad Gasser of Mattoon, tudaloo and Rockylightening.

Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2011 8:28:27 PM
At 7/15/2011 8:14:08 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 7/15/2011 6:58:38 PM, Meatros wrote:

We did? I don't remember discussing this or about Spring Heeled Jack (and the role that mass hysteria has played in both events). But thank you for at least posting one of the few serious replies to my initial posts. Vampires and Muslims didn't have to do with the infamous Mad Gasser of Mattoon, tudaloo and Rockylightening.

Hm...I do recall discussing it. It's one of a group of 'paranormal' things that I've read about. I don't really believe any of the "accounts" (mad gassers, spring heeled jack, jersey devil, bunny man, mothman, strigolia, varcola - I know I spelled that one wrong) - although some of them have some history behind them - but they are fascinating.

I'm struggling to remember the skeptical approach to the mad gassers. I'll try to locate a source.