Jump to topic:

How trusting are you of stats?

Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2011 6:47:26 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Of the information provided by the stats themselves? That depends on the methodology used to acquire them.
Of the conclusions? Not at all. Most stats only prove something tautological to the information provided by the statistic.
E.g. About 40% of boys got A's in their drama media women's studies a level this proves that about 40% of boys got A' in their drama media women's studies a level this year
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2011 3:28:15 PM
I think the information is interesting. It's worth pondering what's true, what's false, and what's important.

The amount of water used is odd. Water is not only recycled, you can't stop it from being recycled. I'd say no water is "used" in the sense that oil is used, because it's all reused.

The "oil remaining" numbers seem bogus in several ways. No one knows how much is left. Oil shale and tars sands yield the equivalent of oil, and coal can be converted to oil. Natural gas is a substitute for oil for many purposes.

Interesting.
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 12:03:11 AM
I don't know how they can keep a running tally on population, that is probably projected. As for the rest a lot is hard to know for sure.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike