Total Posts:41|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Personalized 10 Commandments

innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 1:55:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A friend of mine just asked me to compose my own personal 10 commandments, and I thought i would put it out in this forum and see what other people put together before I start working on my own.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 1:59:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
2 - 9) Whatever the heck Ore_Ele feels like, when he feels like it.
10) Ore_Ele, in his supreme power, has the power to change 2 - 9 at any time he feels like it, with or without standard human-level logic.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 1:59:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/1/2011 1:58:00 PM, innomen wrote:
At 8/1/2011 1:57:10 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
1) Though shall have no gods above or equal to Ore_Ele

Yeah... no.

no?

okay, well, worth a try.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
freedomsquared
Posts: 450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 2:17:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
10 Commandments of DDO

1. Thou shalt not troll.
2. Thou shalt restrain oneself from noob-sniping.
3. Thou shalt not vote bomb or commit voter fraud in any other fashion.
4. Thou shalt not use semantics in a debate that is meant to be serious.
5. Thou shalt show respect to all members, except trolls.
6. Thou shalt not make forum posts that exceed 8000 characters. It is a grave sin to make an opening post into multiple posts that anyone with a sense of conciseness could fit into one readable post.
7. Thou shalt respect the moderators so long as they are motivated by benign intentions.
8. Thou shalt remember the old ones and respect the sacrifices they made. (I-am-Panda, Kleptin, Koopin, askbob, Ragnar_Rahl, Roy_Latham, Logical_Master, etc...)
9. Thou shalt encourage new members and help them with their debating skills and techniques. It is a grave sin to discourage the new generation.
10. Thou shalt not be a grammar nazi.
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

http://www.debate.org...
-tournament debate, need votes
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 2:37:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/1/2011 2:17:37 PM, freedomsquared wrote:
10 Commandments of DDO

1. Thou shalt not troll.
2. Thou shalt restrain oneself from noob-sniping.
3. Thou shalt not vote bomb or commit voter fraud in any other fashion.
4. Thou shalt not use semantics in a debate that is meant to be serious.
5. Thou shalt show respect to all members, except trolls.
6. Thou shalt not make forum posts that exceed 8000 characters. It is a grave sin to make an opening post into multiple posts that anyone with a sense of conciseness could fit into one readable post.
7. Thou shalt respect the moderators so long as they are motivated by benign intentions.
8. Thou shalt remember the old ones and respect the sacrifices they made. (I-am-Panda, Kleptin, Koopin, askbob, Ragnar_Rahl, Roy_Latham, Logical_Master, etc...)
9. Thou shalt encourage new members and help them with their debating skills and techniques. It is a grave sin to discourage the new generation.
10. Thou shalt not be a grammar nazi.

This list looks strangely familiar.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 2:42:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
8. Thou shalt remember the old ones and respect the sacrifices they made. (I-am-Panda, Kleptin, Koopin, askbob, Ragnar_Rahl, Roy_Latham, Logical_Master, etc...)

Oh crud, did I make a sacrifice? Where? Good non-god, why didn't you tell me sooner? I must correct and repent of this terrible terrible sin.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 2:45:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/1/2011 2:42:07 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
8. Thou shalt remember the old ones and respect the sacrifices they made. (I-am-Panda, Kleptin, Koopin, askbob, Ragnar_Rahl, Roy_Latham, Logical_Master, etc...)

Oh crud, did I make a sacrifice? Where? Good non-god, why didn't you tell me sooner? I must correct and repent of this terrible terrible sin.

No worries, any sacrifices made have easily been countered by your shameless opportunism.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 2:45:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/1/2011 1:59:13 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
2 - 9) Whatever the heck Ore_Ele feels like, when he feels like it.
10) Ore_Ele, in his supreme power, has the power to change 2 - 9 at any time he feels like it, with or without standard human-level logic.

How would Mrs. Ore_Ele feel about those commandments??...Mrs. Medic would add an 11th commandment.
11. Thou can forget about marital relations until thou head gets out of thou behind.
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 2:47:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/1/2011 2:17:37 PM, freedomsquared wrote:
The 10 Commandments of DDO

01. Thou shalt not troll.
02. Thou shalt refrain from noob-sniping.
03. Thou shalt not vote-bomb nor commit voter fraud.
04. Thou shalt not resort to semantics in serious debates.
05. Thou shalt show respect to all members.
06. Thou shalt respect conciseness.
07. Thou shalt not multi-account.
08. Thou shalt remember the old ones and the sacrifices they have made.
09. Thou shalt encourage new members and help them with their technique.
10. Thou shalt not be a grammar nazi.

I liked your list so I tweaked it for conciseness and redundancy. I deleted #7 since you had already hit on respect (let's face it, everyone deserves it, and those who don't shouldn't be openly harassed anyway) and I thought it was important to mention multi-accounting. This should be published on the home page :P

Perhaps we could consider changing commandment #6 to "the charleslb commandment"
Rob
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 2:51:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/1/2011 2:47:00 PM, Lasagna wrote:
At 8/1/2011 2:17:37 PM, freedomsquared wrote:
The 10 Commandments of DDO

01. Thou shalt not troll.
02. Thou shalt refrain from noob-sniping.
03. Thou shalt not vote-bomb nor commit voter fraud.
04. Thou shalt not resort to semantics in serious debates.
05. Thou shalt show respect to all members.
06. Thou shalt respect conciseness.
07. Thou shalt not multi-account.
08. Thou shalt remember the old ones and the sacrifices they have made.
09. Thou shalt encourage new members and help them with their technique.
10. Thou shalt not be a grammar nazi.

I liked your list so I tweaked it for conciseness and redundancy. I deleted #7 since you had already hit on respect (let's face it, everyone deserves it, and those who don't shouldn't be openly harassed anyway) and I thought it was important to mention multi-accounting. This should be published on the home page :P

Perhaps we could consider changing commandment #6 to "the charleslb commandment"

Lots of latitude on #7 "Lasagna" er Rob, er, Carmel.

You too Freedomsquared - trying to figure who you are ATM.
freedomsquared
Posts: 450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 3:05:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/1/2011 2:47:00 PM, Lasagna wrote:
At 8/1/2011 2:17:37 PM, freedomsquared wrote:
The 10 Commandments of DDO

01. Thou shalt not troll.
02. Thou shalt refrain from noob-sniping.
03. Thou shalt not vote-bomb nor commit voter fraud.
04. Thou shalt not resort to semantics in serious debates.
05. Thou shalt show respect to all members.
06. Thou shalt respect conciseness.
07. Thou shalt not multi-account.
08. Thou shalt remember the old ones and the sacrifices they have made.
09. Thou shalt encourage new members and help them with their technique.
10. Thou shalt not be a grammar nazi.

I liked your list so I tweaked it for conciseness and redundancy. I deleted #7 since you had already hit on respect (let's face it, everyone deserves it, and those who don't shouldn't be openly harassed anyway) and I thought it was important to mention multi-accounting. This should be published on the home page :P

Perhaps we could consider changing commandment #6 to "the charleslb commandment"

I hardly noticed I was ranting about a specific person ;)
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

http://www.debate.org...
-tournament debate, need votes
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 3:06:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hey! When I change accounts:
1) it is always for a good reason (e.g., being banned),
2) I always publicize it, and
3) I don't run them concurrently.

"Multi-accounting" is an attempt to either
1) change your identity and erase your previous history, or
2) run multiple identities simultaneously to decieve

If you were to ask people who have been here since 2007 when I first signed up as Rob1billion, like Danielle or Ragnar, I'm pretty sure they know who I am.
Rob
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 3:13:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't think that coming back after being banned is, by definition, a good reason. That entirely depends upon the reason one was banned.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 3:17:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/1/2011 3:13:09 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I don't think that coming back after being banned is, by definition, a good reason. That entirely depends upon the reason one was banned.

I'm pretty sure everyone would be okay with someone returning after being banned if they did not go back to the behavior that got them banned.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 3:21:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/1/2011 3:17:25 PM, innomen wrote:
At 8/1/2011 3:13:09 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I don't think that coming back after being banned is, by definition, a good reason. That entirely depends upon the reason one was banned.

I'm pretty sure everyone would be okay with someone returning after being banned if they did not go back to the behavior that got them banned.

True, the only reason you ban someone is because they are not willing to change their behavior (at least not without being banned first). If they come back and change, then all is good (IMO).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 3:31:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/1/2011 3:29:39 PM, Lasagna wrote:
I was banned for being too good of a debater. They told me to give other people a chance and I refused.

Yeah, that's right, i almost forgot about that. The whole site simultaneously hated, respected and envied you.
freedomsquared
Posts: 450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 4:52:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/1/2011 3:06:43 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Hey! When I change accounts:
1) it is always for a good reason (e.g., being banned),
2) I always publicize it, and
3) I don't run them concurrently.

"Multi-accounting" is an attempt to either
1) change your identity and erase your previous history, or
2) run multiple identities simultaneously to decieve

If you were to ask people who have been here since 2007 when I first signed up as Rob1billion, like Danielle or Ragnar, I'm pretty sure they know who I am.

Wait, you're Rob? Nice to see you again! We go could back to the old progressive tax debate.
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

http://www.debate.org...
-tournament debate, need votes
freedomsquared
Posts: 450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 5:05:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/1/2011 4:54:52 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Did you have an alternate identity? I don't recall the debate of which you speak...

Wasn't a debate. It was a forum post about the merits of a progressive tax system. I use to be crackofdawn and crackofdawn_jr, sometimes called COD.
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

http://www.debate.org...
-tournament debate, need votes
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 8:15:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
1. Thou shalt doubt all things.
2. Thou shalt have faith in love.
3. Thou shalt not eat meat.
4. Thou shalt ignore 3 if you want to.
5. Thou shalt say all commandments in ye old english.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
seraine
Posts: 734
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 8:23:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/1/2011 8:15:28 PM, FREEDO wrote:
1. Thou shalt doubt all things.
2. Thou shalt have faith in love.

Contradiction?

2.5. Thou shalt ignore 1 and/or 2 if thou feels like it.

3. Thou shalt not eat meat.
4. Thou shalt ignore 3 if you want to.
5. Thou shalt say all commandments in ye old english.
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 9:04:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/1/2011 5:05:34 PM, freedomsquared wrote:
At 8/1/2011 4:54:52 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Did you have an alternate identity? I don't recall the debate of which you speak...

Wasn't a debate. It was a forum post about the merits of a progressive tax system. I use to be crackofdawn and crackofdawn_jr, sometimes called COD.

OK I remember your crack account. I would have been in favor of a progressive tax system, I would think... Although I'm sure it was before my anarchist days, at any rate...
Rob