Jump to topic:

Beneficial Books

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:45:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in DDO--but I'll put it here.

So, today, I decided that I'd begin reading up on things that'd be beneficial to me--not just for DDO, but for intellectual discussion in general (which is why I posted this here). Anyway, I bough these books at Half-Price Books:

-PHILOSOPHY FOR DUMMIES, by Tom Morris, Ph.D.
-PSYCHOLOGY FOR DUMMIES, by Adam Cash, PsyD
-THE CASE FOR GOD, by Karen Armstrong
-THE GOD DELUSION, by Richard Dawkins
-THE REALLY HARD PROBLEM (Meaning in a Material World), by Owen Flanagan

Whaddaya think? Were these wise choices for starting out in the world of serious intellectual pursuit?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:49:10 PM
At 8/21/2011 2:45:32 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

So, today, I decided that I'd begin reading up on things that'd be beneficial to me--not just for DDO, but for intellectual discussion in general (which is why I posted this here). Anyway, I bough these books at Half-Price Books:

Whaddaya think? Were these wise choices for starting out in the world of serious intellectual pursuit?

They seem so, if you feel that you're at a beginner's level in terms of philosophy or intellectual pursuit, though I would advocate reading the books of actual philosophers and so on.

I also recommend reading non fiction books in a variety of fields--science (life, earth, and physics), sociology/psychology, world history, religion, and so on to widen that chance of 'intellectual pursuit'.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:51:00 PM
At 8/21/2011 2:49:10 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/21/2011 2:45:32 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

They seem so, if you feel that you're at a beginner's level in terms of philosophy or intellectual pursuit, though I would advocate reading the books of actual philosophers and so on.

I also recommend reading non fiction books in a variety of fields--science (life, earth, and physics), sociology/psychology, world history, religion, and so on to widen that chance of 'intellectual pursuit'.

Indeed I agree, however I feel I should have a sufficient overview before diving into actual philosophers. Of course, I've already been interested in Ethics, but still: you get my meaning.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus