Jump to topic:

Beneficial Books

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:45:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in DDO--but I'll put it here.

So, today, I decided that I'd begin reading up on things that'd be beneficial to me--not just for DDO, but for intellectual discussion in general (which is why I posted this here). Anyway, I bough these books at Half-Price Books:

-PHILOSOPHY FOR DUMMIES, by Tom Morris, Ph.D.
-PSYCHOLOGY FOR DUMMIES, by Adam Cash, PsyD
-THE CASE FOR GOD, by Karen Armstrong
-THE GOD DELUSION, by Richard Dawkins
-THE REALLY HARD PROBLEM (Meaning in a Material World), by Owen Flanagan

Whaddaya think? Were these wise choices for starting out in the world of serious intellectual pursuit?
But if the chance remains
to see those better days,
I'd cut the cannons down.

- Vampire Weekend "Giving Up the Gun"
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:49:10 PM
At 8/21/2011 2:45:32 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

So, today, I decided that I'd begin reading up on things that'd be beneficial to me--not just for DDO, but for intellectual discussion in general (which is why I posted this here). Anyway, I bough these books at Half-Price Books:

Whaddaya think? Were these wise choices for starting out in the world of serious intellectual pursuit?

They seem so, if you feel that you're at a beginner's level in terms of philosophy or intellectual pursuit, though I would advocate reading the books of actual philosophers and so on.

I also recommend reading non fiction books in a variety of fields--science (life, earth, and physics), sociology/psychology, world history, religion, and so on to widen that chance of 'intellectual pursuit'.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 2:51:00 PM
At 8/21/2011 2:49:10 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 8/21/2011 2:45:32 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

They seem so, if you feel that you're at a beginner's level in terms of philosophy or intellectual pursuit, though I would advocate reading the books of actual philosophers and so on.

I also recommend reading non fiction books in a variety of fields--science (life, earth, and physics), sociology/psychology, world history, religion, and so on to widen that chance of 'intellectual pursuit'.

Indeed I agree, however I feel I should have a sufficient overview before diving into actual philosophers. Of course, I've already been interested in Ethics, but still: you get my meaning.
But if the chance remains
to see those better days,
I'd cut the cannons down.

- Vampire Weekend "Giving Up the Gun"