Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

My master plan for the coming hurricane.

blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 4:56:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So I'm hoping that our streets will fill up to the curb (I know it's pretty stupid), and if they do, I'm going to take our kayak out and paddle around my neighborhood like it's Venice. This is assuming the winds have died down. I think I'll have four inches or so of clearance when I'm in the kayak.

Thoughts? Would anyone else do this?
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 5:03:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
no thoughts, just a question. I'm directly in the path of the hurricane, but I don't live by any rivers. Does that mean that I won't see flooding?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 5:09:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 4:56:14 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Thoughts? Would anyone else do this?

I've always wanted to, but I haven't had the opportunity yet.
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 5:20:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 5:03:30 PM, 000ike wrote:
no thoughts, just a question. I'm directly in the path of the hurricane, but I don't live by any rivers. Does that mean that I won't see flooding?

I don't think so. I feel obligated to say this now if you haven't figured it out, but I don't live in Montana. I'd like to, though. Anyway, I live in PA and we've had a lot of rain where I live so the ground is very saturated. So, even though I don't live near any large bodies of water, I'm still looking at serious flooding and possibly the worst storm in 50 years. I don't know what the weather were you are has been like, but odds are it's the same as the weather near me. So, you're probably looking at some bad flooding too.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 5:24:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 5:09:48 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 8/26/2011 4:56:14 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Thoughts? Would anyone else do this?

I've always wanted to, but I haven't had the opportunity yet.

I just need to convince my dad. My mom's not outwardly opposed, and if my dad says anything I'll just point out the fact that he wanted to drive to N. Jersey tomorrow to see his friend even though we know that the hurricane is coming.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 5:25:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 5:03:30 PM, 000ike wrote:
no thoughts, just a question. I'm directly in the path of the hurricane, but I don't live by any rivers. Does that mean that I won't see flooding?

If you live in a valley (regardless of if there are rivers or not), you will see flooding. Because all the rain that comes down will pool into any valleys it comes across. Normally, the rain is drained through the soil, but with really heavy rain, it can fill fast than it naturally drains.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 5:27:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
it definitely sounds fun.... safe? noooo
but fun is more fun than safety :D
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 5:29:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 4:56:14 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
So I'm hoping that our streets will fill up to the curb (I know it's pretty stupid), and if they do, I'm going to take our kayak out and paddle around my neighborhood like it's Venice. This is assuming the winds have died down. I think I'll have four inches or so of clearance when I'm in the kayak.

Thoughts? Would anyone else do this?:

A lot of hurricanes are not wet, meaning they don't produce a lot of rain, just a lot of wind. I would focus more on surviving and less on kayaking. Jus' sayin'....
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 5:30:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 5:27:06 PM, devinni01841 wrote:
it definitely sounds fun.... safe? noooo
but fun is more fun than safety :D

If you wait until after the wind stops and the water is still there, it is perfectly safe. What's the risk? You'll be in only a few feet of water MAX. If you tip over, you can stand in the water.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 5:35:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 5:24:31 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 8/26/2011 5:09:48 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 8/26/2011 4:56:14 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Thoughts? Would anyone else do this?

I've always wanted to, but I haven't had the opportunity yet.

I just need to convince my dad. My mom's not outwardly opposed, and if my dad says anything I'll just point out the fact that he wanted to drive to N. Jersey tomorrow to see his friend even though we know that the hurricane is coming.

Good luck, hopefully they let you. I would need to convince my grandparents. They have three kayaks and a street that floods when it rains even a little, so that isn't an issue, but they think it's too unsafe. Apparently they think I'll drown in the street, hit my head on a mailbox, or something.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 6:10:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 5:54:30 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
First earthquakes then hurricanes...crikey, what next?

tornado. I'd actually like to see one of those, so long as it doesn't destroy anything.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 6:11:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 5:54:30 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
First earthquakes then hurricanes...crikey, what next?

Would have been better if they both hit at the same time.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 6:12:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 5:54:30 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
First earthquakes then hurricanes...crikey, what next?

Anyone up for a meteor bombardment? Whoop whoop!
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 6:33:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 5:27:06 PM, devinni01841 wrote:
it definitely sounds fun.... safe? noooo
but fun is more fun than safety :D

I agree. Although it was recently brought to my attention that if the water is that high then the basement will have flooded and I'll have to help with that rather than kayak down the street. :(
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 6:36:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 5:29:49 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 8/26/2011 4:56:14 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
So I'm hoping that our streets will fill up to the curb (I know it's pretty stupid), and if they do, I'm going to take our kayak out and paddle around my neighborhood like it's Venice. This is assuming the winds have died down. I think I'll have four inches or so of clearance when I'm in the kayak.

Thoughts? Would anyone else do this?:

A lot of hurricanes are not wet, meaning they don't produce a lot of rain, just a lot of wind. I would focus more on surviving and less on kayaking. Jus' sayin'....

I'm pretty far inland. According to the news, my area's supposed to get a lot of flooding and high winds. I'm not too worried about surviving. I don't think I'll have any problems there. Even if the hurricane hit harder than is expected, and I have to hunt for food (fishing will probably be pretty poor and I don't know wild plants to well), I'll be fine seeing as how I am a hunter.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 6:37:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 5:30:43 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/26/2011 5:27:06 PM, devinni01841 wrote:
it definitely sounds fun.... safe? noooo
but fun is more fun than safety :D

If you wait until after the wind stops and the water is still there, it is perfectly safe. What's the risk? You'll be in only a few feet of water MAX. If you tip over, you can stand in the water.

I measured. It'll be about 7 3/4 inches assuming the water is flush with the top of the curb.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 6:38:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 5:54:30 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
First earthquakes then hurricanes...crikey, what next?

I would say Steve Jobs resigning as CEO of Apple but that happened. That's how I know the world is coming to an end. Lol.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 6:39:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 5:35:56 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 8/26/2011 5:24:31 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 8/26/2011 5:09:48 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 8/26/2011 4:56:14 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Thoughts? Would anyone else do this?

I've always wanted to, but I haven't had the opportunity yet.

I just need to convince my dad. My mom's not outwardly opposed, and if my dad says anything I'll just point out the fact that he wanted to drive to N. Jersey tomorrow to see his friend even though we know that the hurricane is coming.

Good luck, hopefully they let you. I would need to convince my grandparents. They have three kayaks and a street that floods when it rains even a little, so that isn't an issue, but they think it's too unsafe. Apparently they think I'll drown in the street, hit my head on a mailbox, or something.

Just take a kayak and go. When you come back safe and sound you can say, "See? I told you it was safe."
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 6:40:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 6:10:23 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/26/2011 5:54:30 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
First earthquakes then hurricanes...crikey, what next?

tornado. I'd actually like to see one of those, so long as it doesn't destroy anything.

I thought I heard something about one touching down in Philly but I could definitely be wrong.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 6:40:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 6:36:17 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 8/26/2011 5:29:49 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 8/26/2011 4:56:14 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
So I'm hoping that our streets will fill up to the curb (I know it's pretty stupid), and if they do, I'm going to take our kayak out and paddle around my neighborhood like it's Venice. This is assuming the winds have died down. I think I'll have four inches or so of clearance when I'm in the kayak.

Thoughts? Would anyone else do this?:

A lot of hurricanes are not wet, meaning they don't produce a lot of rain, just a lot of wind. I would focus more on surviving and less on kayaking. Jus' sayin'....

I'm pretty far inland. According to the news, my area's supposed to get a lot of flooding and high winds. I'm not too worried about surviving. I don't think I'll have any problems there. Even if the hurricane hit harder than is expected, and I have to hunt for food (fishing will probably be pretty poor and I don't know wild plants to well), I'll be fine seeing as how I am a hunter.

That and we have water and food and everything just in case.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 6:43:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 6:39:22 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 8/26/2011 5:35:56 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 8/26/2011 5:24:31 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 8/26/2011 5:09:48 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 8/26/2011 4:56:14 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Thoughts? Would anyone else do this?

I've always wanted to, but I haven't had the opportunity yet.

I just need to convince my dad. My mom's not outwardly opposed, and if my dad says anything I'll just point out the fact that he wanted to drive to N. Jersey tomorrow to see his friend even though we know that the hurricane is coming.

Good luck, hopefully they let you. I would need to convince my grandparents. They have three kayaks and a street that floods when it rains even a little, so that isn't an issue, but they think it's too unsafe. Apparently they think I'll drown in the street, hit my head on a mailbox, or something.

Just take a kayak and go. When you come back safe and sound you can say, "See? I told you it was safe."

That's not a bad idea, actually.
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2011 10:43:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/26/2011 6:43:13 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 8/26/2011 6:39:22 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 8/26/2011 5:35:56 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 8/26/2011 5:24:31 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 8/26/2011 5:09:48 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 8/26/2011 4:56:14 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
Thoughts? Would anyone else do this?

I've always wanted to, but I haven't had the opportunity yet.

I just need to convince my dad. My mom's not outwardly opposed, and if my dad says anything I'll just point out the fact that he wanted to drive to N. Jersey tomorrow to see his friend even though we know that the hurricane is coming.

Good luck, hopefully they let you. I would need to convince my grandparents. They have three kayaks and a street that floods when it rains even a little, so that isn't an issue, but they think it's too unsafe. Apparently they think I'll drown in the street, hit my head on a mailbox, or something.

Just take a kayak and go. When you come back safe and sound you can say, "See? I told you it was safe."

That's not a bad idea, actually.

If you do that, tell me how it is. I'm afraid that I may not be able to seeing as how my dad's already pissed at me.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena