Jump to topic:

Favorite Folkore/Mythological Figure

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 8:46:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Folklore: n. the traditional beliefs, legends, customs, etc., of a people; lore of a people.

Mythology: n. a body of myths, as that of a particular people or that relating to a particular person [1] http://dictionary.reference.com...

Hmmm....Folklore and mythology appear to be great sources of mystification, interest, and musing.
I wonder what's your favorite figure from folklore?

I prefer the Green Man in relief, though king Oberon and his train of fairies from Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer's Night Dream' might suffice. Dionysus might work as well, along with a host of other figures in mythology: Wotan, Hecate, and so on...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 11:12:49 PM
Jesus.

Because not only was he a straight PIMP who hung out with tax collectors, hookers, and drunkards, but he was also a pretty chill dude over all. Sermon on the mount was pretty cool, and he healed the sick and stuff. I'd chill with Jesus.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 11:40:10 PM
At 8/30/2011 11:12:49 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Jesus.

Because not only was he a straight PIMP who hung out with tax collectors, hookers, and drunkards, but he was also a pretty chill dude over all. Sermon on the mount was pretty cool, and he healed the sick and stuff. I'd chill with Jesus.

He also smoked weed.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 11:40:51 PM
Kamina, enough said.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 11:07:06 PM
At 8/31/2011 1:47:47 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Isis. I have always loved Egyptian mythology and she has been a favourite of mine.
What about Horus, Osiris, or the deities and spirits of Egyptian mythology?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 1:15:30 AM
Sigurd (http://en.wikipedia.org...), mainly because the Volsunga Saga is my absolute favorite myth.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 9:09:25 AM
At 8/30/2011 8:46:46 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Folklore: n. the traditional beliefs, legends, customs, etc., of a people; lore of a people.

Mythology: n. a body of myths, as that of a particular people or that relating to a particular person [1] http://dictionary.reference.com...

Hmmm....Folklore and mythology appear to be great sources of mystification, interest, and musing.
I wonder what's your favorite figure from folklore?

I prefer the Green Man in relief, though king Oberon and his train of fairies from Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer's Night Dream' might suffice. Dionysus might work as well, along with a host of other figures in mythology: Wotan, Hecate, and so on...

Karna from the Mahabharat
Hanuman from the Ramayan
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.