Jump to topic:

Fall foliage trips in New England

Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 1:53:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Could anyone who's been there suggest some good places and the best times to do this?

Google is inundating me with information! it'd be a great help if I could get some personal experiences here.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 10:30:25 AM
It's best to access a foliage map on the web, because it depends on the particular year. If you have to pick dates, then pick a nominal location at a nominal time, then prepare to drive north or south depending on how the season is going. Alas, hotels should be booked ahead because everything is jammed. Avoid the weekends if you can, because traffic is heavy.

A good plan is to go from Keene NH to Bennington VT to Rutland VT in mid-October. That's likely to hit peak viewing somewhere along the route.

Fall foliage in New England is worth a trip from anywhere. What does it are the large numbers of maples that turn bright red.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 10:52:27 AM
The foliage season starts earliest in the north and works its way down. There are some spectacular places to see along the ocean or in the mountains, but you will need to narrow it down. I love Cape Cod in the fall, and the season there is a bit later than if you are in NH or Vermont. Vermont is beautiful, but be aware that there is NOTHING up there but trees mountains and maple syrup. If you tell me where you are going to be, i can tell you places to go.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 11:04:52 AM
At 9/12/2011 10:30:25 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
It's best to access a foliage map on the web, because it depends on the particular year. If you have to pick dates, then pick a nominal location at a nominal time, then prepare to drive north or south depending on how the season is going. Alas, hotels should be booked ahead because everything is jammed. Avoid the weekends if you can, because traffic is heavy.

A good plan is to go from Keene NH to Bennington VT to Rutland VT in mid-October. That's likely to hit peak viewing somewhere along the route.

Fall foliage in New England is worth a trip from anywhere. What does it are the large numbers of maples that turn bright red.

Thanks Roy.

I don't yet have the luxury of taking working days off to go see leaves turning red! Alas!

I can go only on the weekends.

I saw foliage maps, and they said north central Vermont had the best of it. As I'm in Charlotte, it's quite a long way for me to drive....
And it will be true.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 11:06:18 AM
At 9/12/2011 10:52:27 AM, innomen wrote:
The foliage season starts earliest in the north and works its way down. There are some spectacular places to see along the ocean or in the mountains, but you will need to narrow it down. I love Cape Cod in the fall, and the season there is a bit later than if you are in NH or Vermont. Vermont is beautiful, but be aware that there is NOTHING up there but trees mountains and maple syrup. If you tell me where you are going to be, i can tell you places to go.

That's the problem. Narrowing it down. If you can suggest one place, I can try to see if it's feasible for me. I can always go there later in some years....
And it will be true.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 3:09:48 PM
At 9/12/2011 11:06:18 AM, Indophile wrote:

That's the problem. Narrowing it down. If you can suggest one place, I can try to see if it's feasible for me. I can always go there later in some years....

So many places, but you really need to hit Cape Cod off season if possible.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 2:04:28 PM
At 9/12/2011 3:09:48 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/12/2011 11:06:18 AM, Indophile wrote:

So many places, but you really need to hit Cape Cod off season if possible.

I saw this link. Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.capecodconnection.com...

Also, October is off season?
And it will be true.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 4:09:37 PM
Driving up from Charlotte for a weekend, I'm thinking that northern Pennsylvania might be a good choice. Check out http://www.visitpa.com... Northern Penn has excellent foliage, and it's not so well known, but there are lots of covered bridges, streams, and mountain scenery. I'd put Vermont and the Cape on your list for the future, but for a short trip it might be better to go for the shorter distance. I don't think you would be disappointed.