Jump to topic:

Policy Impact

Xboxlive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 8:58:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm a 3rd-year policy debater and I have a small conflict in my affirmative. I have an extremely large contention of fossil fuels in which I link a lot of impacts to fossil fuels(global warming, economic recession, terrorism, loss of hegemony, air pollution).
My sixth impact is biofuels, and I have 2 possible impacts- deforestation and mass starvation. My question is Which is a better impact- mass starvation killing 95% of the world OR deforestation causing massive species extinction and global warming? Which one should I do or should I do both. (I don't care about your opinion on fossil fuels I just want to know which is better)
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 9:01:53 AM
At 9/11/2011 8:58:32 AM, Xboxlive wrote:
I'm a 3rd-year policy debater and I have a small conflict in my affirmative. I have an extremely large contention of fossil fuels in which I link a lot of impacts to fossil fuels(global warming, economic recession, terrorism, loss of hegemony, air pollution).
My sixth impact is biofuels, and I have 2 possible impacts- deforestation and mass starvation. My question is Which is a better impact- mass starvation killing 95% of the world OR deforestation causing massive species extinction and global warming? Which one should I do or should I do both. (I don't care about your opinion on fossil fuels I just want to know which is better)

I'd go with mass starvation--the effect relates more closely with humanity, and, in debate, I've noticed that impacts such as starvation and other detriments to humans have a greater impact (pun intended.)
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 6:40:53 PM
At 9/11/2011 11:06:32 AM, Xboxlive wrote:
In the deforestation shell, I link deforestation to extinction of humans

In that case, go with starvation. Starvation is a direct link to extinction. Deforestation requires an extra link to explain how it kills people. So starvation = 1 less link you have to prove.