Jump to topic:

Model United Nations

Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 11:28:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
My school is offering a Model United Nations club. Has anyone done this before? The teacher gave me no background on what we actually do in the club.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 11:39:11 PM
At 9/14/2011 11:28:30 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
My school is offering a Model United Nations club. Has anyone done this before? The teacher gave me no background on what we actually do in the club.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 6:56:02 AM

MUNs are something I'm really interested in. The name suggests it all, it's a fake UN type meeting where the interested people are allotted a country, and an agenda is set. There are typically 4 councils, Human rights council, General Assembly, OPEC and one more council, and a country matrix to chose from. Typically it goes on for 3 days, and you represent your country and discuss on the topic. (if you go as a delegate).
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 11:36:06 AM
At 9/16/2011 6:56:02 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

MUNs are something I'm really interested in. The name suggests it all, it's a fake UN type meeting where the interested people are allotted a country, and an agenda is set. There are typically 4 councils, Human rights council, General Assembly, OPEC and one more council, and a country matrix to chose from. Typically it goes on for 3 days, and you represent your country and discuss on the topic. (if you go as a delegate).

My suggestion is to choose from one of these nations:

http://www.theatlantic.com...

I did something similar, model legislation. We got to sit in the statehouse. In my first year I introduced a bill that would require drivers to take relicesining exams. In my secondyear I did it, I introduced a bill that would legalize topless women. Ironically, the conservative party favored it and the liberal party were against it. It passed the house but failed the senate.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 11:37:47 AM
I wish that I was into politics back in highschool... and that my school did any of that stuff.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 1:09:26 AM

I did something similar, model legislation. We got to sit in the statehouse. In my first year I introduced a bill that would require drivers to take relicesining exams. In my secondyear I did it, I introduced a bill that would legalize topless women. Ironically, the conservative party favored it and the liberal party were against it. It passed the house but failed the senate.

Exactly where would they be legalized?
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 1:32:44 AM
I never really understood the logic behind why women being topless in public is illegal. If the lawmakers are women, then they would want the freedom to walk topless anywhere they want. If the lawmakers are men, they would want to see topless women from time to time. The question is: Who made the law?
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 1:37:51 AM
At 9/17/2011 1:32:44 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I never really understood the logic behind why women being topless in public is illegal. If the lawmakers are women, then they would want the freedom to walk topless anywhere they want. If the lawmakers are men, they would want to see topless women from time to time. The question is: Who made the law?

The normal people who realize that not every male is a perverted female ogling oaf.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 1:46:12 AM
At 9/17/2011 1:09:26 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

public......
Open borders debate:
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 3:11:20 AM
At 9/17/2011 1:46:12 AM, darkkermit wrote:

public......

Oh. I thought it was something related to stop censoring the explicit images on TV. This was pretty brave. I bet it garnered a lot of publicity.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 1:40:28 PM
At 9/17/2011 3:11:20 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
At 9/17/2011 1:46:12 AM, darkkermit wrote:

public......

Oh. I thought it was something related to stop censoring the explicit images on TV. This was pretty brave. I bet it garnered a lot of publicity.

Liberals hated it, conservatives loved it. Of course, granted these are high school conservatives and high school liberals.

Oh, and girls from my high school who knew about my bill thought I was a pervert. But it was my senior year, so I didn't give a f*ck.
Open borders debate:
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 2:20:54 PM
United Nations
Actually do

http://s3.amazonaws.com...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.