Jump to topic:

Generation Y and the Good Ole Days ?

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 11:57:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
It seems that this current generation of young people are starving for some old school flavor. But this time it is different. This is the generation that says that the new is better than old. Is it safe for me to say that this is a first.
While others have defended there rebellious and ultra modern ideology, they still had a feelings for things of old. But that does not mean that the food they were eating was bad. It was a combination of old and new. The 90's was a perfect example of that. It was the 70's reincarnted. It was spiritual, laid back, melodramatic, hypnotic, and ever so sweet. It was transendant ! The world changed dramatically after this decade too. But now we are more about quantity than we are quality. This generation is lacking in the latter so much so, that the
influence of the previous generation is beginning to overtake them. Yes !
Now you are beginning to see the error of your ways. Generation X and The Baby Boomers were cool and identified. But this one generation of today, with all due respect is lost. What do you think ?
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 12:11:18 PM
At 9/29/2011 12:02:06 PM, inferno wrote:
Transcendent that is. The 1990's changed everything.

it seems that way, but this is a process that all the generations go through. you get a little older and everything new coming out... just starts to seem like... sh*t :P
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 12:16:31 PM
Generation Y is poorly educated, despite all the funds spent on schools and educational institutions, much of which can be blamed on the shift to standardized testing...

That, and the teacher unions as well...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 12:21:37 PM
At 9/29/2011 12:16:31 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Generation Y is poorly educated, despite all the funds spent on schools and educational institutions, much of which can be blamed on the shift to standardized testing...

That may be true. But the degredation comes from fatherless homes, poverty, and media. The air we breathe is so toxic right now, if you are young nowadays you are a target for chaos.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 12:21:53 PM
At 9/29/2011 12:11:18 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

it seems that way, but this is a process that all the generations go through. you get a little older and everything new coming out... just starts to seem like... sh*t :P

Yeah, I'd agree....Movies, comedies, books, comic books, rap, lyrical, 'classical' music have all gotten worse...

I'd rather read a chapter of Pantagruel and Gargantuan than a chapter of the DaVinci Code...I cannot understand how anyone could admire a man like Dan Brown who writes so opaquely and claim that he is in the same league as Dickens, Shakespeare, and so on...

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 12:22:49 PM
At 9/29/2011 12:21:37 PM, inferno wrote:

That may be true. But the degredation comes from fatherless homes, poverty, and media. The air we breathe is so toxic right now, if you are young nowadays you are a target for chaos.

I would also like to add an emphasis on the media that was fairly absent in other generations...

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 12:26:50 PM

You see my friend the difference is this. We grew up in a time where people felt proud to live in this nation and without compromise. It was called the Good Ole Days because we had a leader who helped us remember what it is like to live again. The 1990's was great in my eyes and there were feelings of euphoria
that is beyond ones comprehension. It is incredible to say the least and so exotic.
It was different. And it was so productive, some even said it was as good if not
better than the 1950s. Hence the uprising of the internet. That was a big deal, and you see how much it was now. This generation is dealing with so much stress, mass hysteria, depression, poverty, and pain on a global scale. This is our new age
depression. This is something foreign to my generation. We escaped this when we were kids.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 12:29:35 PM
At 9/29/2011 12:22:49 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 9/29/2011 12:21:37 PM, inferno wrote:

I would also like to add an emphasis on the media that was fairly absent in other generations...

The media has become biased and unregulated. This is why things are so out of control now. We never had a life altering tragedy such as 9/11 and Katrina.
The closest we got to that was the explosion of the Challenger back in '86.
The War in Saudi Arabia was a breeze compared to the beast of Iraq.
It is so much I cay say here, but you get what Im saying here.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 12:38:02 PM
At 9/29/2011 11:57:02 AM, inferno wrote:
It seems that this current generation of young people are starving for some old school flavor. But this time it is different. This is the generation that says that the new is better than old. Is it safe for me to say that this is a first.
While others have defended there rebellious and ultra modern ideology, they still had a feelings for things of old. But that does not mean that the food they were eating was bad. It was a combination of old and new. The 90's was a perfect example of that. It was the 70's reincarnted. It was spiritual, laid back, melodramatic, hypnotic, and ever so sweet. It was transendant ! The world changed dramatically after this decade too. But now we are more about quantity than we are quality. This generation is lacking in the latter so much so, that the
influence of the previous generation is beginning to overtake them. Yes !
Now you are beginning to see the error of your ways. Generation X and The Baby Boomers were cool and identified. But this one generation of today, with all due respect is lost. What do you think ?

By the way, I am now seeing more younger people listening to old school music.
We did this too, but it was vague. Or music during the 90's was so influential, the Baby Boomers could not help but enter in. They loved our rap music. They loved out pop. They loved our R and B, not to mention rock n roll, too.
It was at its peak around the mid to late 90's as the music industry sold more albums and videos in that era more than any other time in recorded history.
This is a fact my friends. Must we go back and talk about the Spears Aguilera fiasco. Nsync vs Backstreet Boys. Although short lived, it was amazing and still stands the test of time. Hale Bop, sheep clones, Waco, Lewinsky, Pokemon, Power Rangers, Yo Yos, Laser Pointers, leather, afros, gangsta rap, dinosaurs become the norm with The Park.
It was the age of excess ! Now that concept has vanished into thin air. Poof.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 4:08:43 PM
At 9/29/2011 12:21:53 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Yeah, I'd agree....Movies, comedies, books, comic books, rap, lyrical, 'classical' music have all gotten worse...

I'd rather read a chapter of Pantagruel and Gargantuan than a chapter of the DaVinci Code...I cannot understand how anyone could admire a man like Dan Brown who writes so opaquely and claim that he is in the same league as Dickens, Shakespeare, and so on...

Wait... you aren't joking?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 7:03:07 PM
You do know that that's how it always happens, right? Every generation assumes that they were the better than the new one. In some years, I imagine I'll be saying the same about the next generation.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 7:06:07 PM
At 9/29/2011 4:08:43 PM, seraine wrote:
At 9/29/2011 12:21:53 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Wait... you aren't joking?
Wait....you don't know the answer?