Jump to topic:

it is OK to be gay.

lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 2:10:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I want a good laugh, so if you can prove to me that gay is either a choice, or is immoral, I will choose to be straight. (:
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 3:44:02 PM
At 10/13/2011 2:10:03 PM, lotus_flower wrote:
I want a good laugh, so if you can prove to me that gay is either a choice, or is immoral, I will choose to be straight. (:

"Gay" is a choice. (I think you were meaning to say "prove to me that homosexuality is a choice", but I'll let that slide.)

Why, even heterosexuality is a choice. You can choose to be an ascetic, can't you? Abstain from sex? How can you prove that such an abstainee is homo- or hetero-sexual?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 3:45:33 PM
At 10/13/2011 3:44:02 PM, Indophile wrote:

"Gay" is a choice. (I think you were meaning to say "prove to me that homosexuality is a choice", but I'll let that slide.)

Why, even heterosexuality is a choice. You can choose to be an ascetic, can't you? Abstain from sex? How can you prove that such an abstainee is homo- or hetero-sexual?
I think that's irrelevant. He doesn't refer to the act but the state.

As for it being immoral, it depends on how you see morality and how you define sex.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 3:59:22 PM
At 10/13/2011 3:45:33 PM, Mirza wrote:

As for it being immoral, it depends on how you see morality and how you define sex.

Is there a way to tell a person is homosexual just by looking? What do you mean "the state"? What is the state of homosexuality?
And it will be true.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 3:59:56 PM
Do you want to be straight?

If not, why would you?

If so, why wouldn't you?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 4:00:46 PM
At 10/13/2011 3:59:22 PM, Indophile wrote:

Is there a way to tell a person is homosexual just by looking? What do you mean "the state"? What is the state of homosexuality?

The question is attraction. A person cannot choose what attracts them. They can try, but sometimes it's not possible.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 4:02:59 PM
At 10/13/2011 4:00:46 PM, M.Torres wrote:

The question is attraction. A person cannot choose what attracts them. They can try, but sometimes it's not possible.

A person can choose how to react with what attracts them. Just because I'm attracted by alcohol doesn't mean I'm alcoholic. I can be attracted to alcohol all I want and yet can be a teetotaler.
And it will be true.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 4:07:45 PM
At 10/13/2011 4:02:59 PM, Indophile wrote:

A person can choose how to react with what attracts them. Just because I'm attracted by alcohol doesn't mean I'm alcoholic. I can be attracted to alcohol all I want and yet can be a teetotaler.

Involuntary reaction? I'm not sure you understand the nature of stimulation. What you just mentioned was an obvious voluntary reaction that doesn't actually have anything to do with the matter at hand.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 4:12:23 PM
At 10/13/2011 4:07:45 PM, 000ike wrote:

Involuntary reaction? I'm not sure you understand the nature of stimulation. What you just mentioned was an obvious voluntary reaction that doesn't actually have anything to do with the matter at hand.

Well, one will get involuntarily attracted to a lot of things as one goes through life. It's not limited to just sexual things. Stimulation comes in various forms. Intellectual, physical, etc.

What would you say a person who's not interested in sex at all?
And it will be true.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 4:18:39 PM

Yes, if they are currently having sex with a person of the same gender, they are homosexual (or bi-sexual). If they are not having sex at this moment, wait until they are.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 4:19:40 PM
At 10/13/2011 4:12:23 PM, Indophile wrote:

Well, one will get involuntarily attracted to a lot of things as one goes through life. It's not limited to just sexual things. Stimulation comes in various forms. Intellectual, physical, etc.

No. Actually, now you're not using the word "involuntary" correctly. Involuntary is forced and coercive. Your heartbeat is involuntary. Go ahead and try to stop your heart beat. You cannot. Likewise, a chemical reaction from sexual stimulation does not lend the individual any conscious control. I don't you understand how stimulation works, because what you're saying is objectively and scientifically incorrect.

Intellectual stimulation is not involuntary.

Completely biological. Not being interested in sex does not imply, not being attracted to anything. Attractions are chemical bound reactions, and entirely involuntary. Sex is voluntary.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 4:22:34 PM
At 10/13/2011 4:00:46 PM, M.Torres wrote:

Sometimes it is not, sometimes it is. I had an exgirlfriend in highschool that became gay over the weekend, for about 2 months, then when the girl broke up with her (i.e. cheated on her and dumped her for not being so open), she became straight again a few days later.

I also find, from personal experience, that women are more likely to make out with other women (and perhaps go further) when alcohol is involved. If a woman knows that alcohol will effect her in that way, and chooses to drink anyway, one can say that she is choosing the effects.

That is not to say that all homosexuals choose to be that way, or even that most of them do.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 4:26:02 PM
At 10/13/2011 4:19:40 PM, 000ike wrote:

No. Actually, now you're not using the word "involuntary" correctly. Involuntary is forced and coercive. Your heartbeat is involuntary. Go ahead and try to stop your heart beat. You cannot.

You can with a bullet.

Likewise, a chemical reaction from sexual stimulation does not lend the individual any conscious control. I don't you understand how stimulation works, because what you're saying is objectively and scientifically incorrect.

Not entirely true. Your mind can supress stimulation or allow it to happen. If my wife walks by in a sexy dress, I can keep myself from getting aroused if need be (like I'm at work and she decides to send me a picture of herself). But sometimes I can allow myself to be aroused (like when I'm 2 minutes from home and she thinks I'm at work).

Completely biological. Not being interested in sex does not imply, not being attracted to anything. Attractions are chemical bound reactions, and entirely involuntary. Sex is voluntary.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 4:26:24 PM

No. Actually, now you're not using the word "involuntary" correctly. Involuntary is forced and coercive. Your heartbeat is involuntary. Go ahead and try to stop your heart beat. You cannot. Likewise, a chemical reaction from sexual stimulation does not lend the individual any conscious control. I don't you understand how stimulation works, because what you're saying is objectively and scientifically incorrect.

Heart beats have been slowed and accelerated by will.

Stimulation is involuntary. Can you choose what you get stimulated by? You just get intellectually stimulated by certain stuff.

Yet, can't attractions be honed, sharpened, etc.?

Name on thing in the human body that cannot be consciously worked upon.
And it will be true.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 4:34:36 PM
Really bad things happen to people who repress, or worse repress and then force to go a different way than is natural to them. If you force a naturally left handed person to be right handed they often end up stuttering, or some other sort of outlet. If you do it to someone's sexuality worse stuff happens.

If anyone ever knew how many "married straight guys" are out there looking for guys, they would be astounded.

To the OP, it's okay, but it's not always so easy.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 4:39:05 PM
At 10/13/2011 4:34:36 PM, innomen wrote:
Really bad things happen to people who repress, or worse repress and then force to go a different way than is natural to them. If you force a naturally left handed person to be right handed they often end up stuttering,

hmmm, I've forced myself to use my left hand as well as my right by playing instruments for so long. I'm perfectly okay. I'd also like to see some sources on it, because I don't believe one word of it to be true.

or some other sort of outlet. If you do it to someone's sexuality worse stuff happens.

If anyone ever knew how many "married straight guys" are out there looking for guys, they would be astounded.

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 4:45:41 PM
At 10/13/2011 4:39:05 PM, 000ike wrote:
Really bad things happen to people who repress, or worse repress and then force to go a different way than is natural to them. If you force a naturally left handed person to be right handed they often end up stuttering,

hmmm, I've forced myself to use my left hand as well as my right by playing instruments for so long. I'm perfectly okay. I'd also like to see some sources on it, because I don't believe one word of it to be true.

or some other sort of outlet. If you do it to someone's sexuality worse stuff happens.

Why not? It makes perfect sense. That also explains why Catholic priests do bad things to children more than most other denominations, they repress their sexual urges and it perverts them.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 4:51:32 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org...

There are multiple sources attached to the article. In reality, forcing the switch will increase the chances of learning disabilities or social disabilities, but for many, no problems arrise.

These are not actual numbers, but just the concept.

Lets say, 5% of the children will stutter. Of Left-handed kids who are forced to be right-handers, 30% stutter. This shows a strong correlation that the forcing increases one's chance of stuttering 6 fold. But it also shows that 70% of those forced to switch do not develop stuttering.

So forcing hand switching does not "cause" stuttering, but increasing your chances of it (along with other issues).

I personally haven't had any issues with it, but my history wasn't that I was forced to write with my right hand, but that I was forced to learn to throw a baseball and bat right-handed (technically different, but should be the same principle, forcing someone to do something that isn't what comes naturally).
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 4:51:53 PM

You've never heard that? Did you ever watch the King's speech? I know this from my mother who stutters and was forced as a child to use her right hand. Kripes, i thought it was fairly common knowledge http://scholar.google.com...
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 4:57:07 PM
Really bad things happen to people who repress, or worse repress and then force to go a different way than is natural to them. If you force a naturally left handed person to be right handed they often end up stuttering, or some other sort of outlet. If you do it to someone's sexuality worse stuff happens.

What could be more natural than the urge to have sex? Yet, there are people who have abstained from it, or are not "suffering" even if they don't have any sex, however much they want to, till they are married, which could be in their 30's.

We are also not talking about someone forcing a person. We are talking about personal choice.

I thought the OP wanted a light hearted discussion :)
And it will be true.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 5:02:17 PM
At 10/13/2011 4:51:32 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

There are multiple sources attached to the article. In reality, forcing the switch will increase the chances of learning disabilities or social disabilities, but for many, no problems arrise.

Lets say, 5% of the children will stutter. Of Left-handed kids who are forced to be right-handers, 30% stutter. This shows a strong correlation that the forcing increases one's chance of stuttering 6 fold. But it also shows that 70% of those forced to switch do not develop stuttering.

So forcing hand switching does not "cause" stuttering, but increasing your chances of it (along with other issues).

I personally haven't had any issues with it, but my history wasn't that I was forced to write with my right hand, but that I was forced to learn to throw a baseball and bat right-handed (technically different, but should be the same principle, forcing someone to do something that isn't what comes naturally).

I'm still not convinced. Children have malleable minds. This website explains that what may be a possible cause of stuttering is repression and strict correction when learning to speak (http://neurology.health-cares.net...). The notion that using a child's rubberlike mind to develop new abilities that do not come naturally causes stuttering sounds like non sense.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 5:04:49 PM
At 10/13/2011 5:02:17 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 10/13/2011 4:51:32 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I'm still not convinced. Children have malleable minds. This website explains that what may be a possible cause of stuttering is repression and strict correction when learning to speak (http://neurology.health-cares.net...). The notion that using a child's rubberlike mind to develop new abilities that do not come naturally causes stuttering sounds like non sense.

I think they're arguing something closer to this: Forcing a child to do something that goes against their nature is bad and causes problems.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 5:07:08 PM
At 10/13/2011 4:57:07 PM, Indophile wrote:

What could be more natural than the urge to have sex? Yet, there are people who have abstained from it, or are not "suffering" even if they don't have any sex, however much they want to, till they are married, which could be in their 30's.

There is a difference between not engaging in the activity, and actively repressing the thinking and urges. I'm guessing there are very very few who don't explore their given sexuality in some form, even if it be in dreams. There comes a self hatred when not just not acting on them, but actively trying to purge the thoughts and the component of your identity. At that level the effects are deeper and different than simple abstinence.

We are also not talking about someone forcing a person. We are talking about personal choice.

Meh, I'm not in a lighthearted mood :-(.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 11:35:03 PM
At 10/13/2011 5:07:08 PM, innomen wrote:

There is a difference between not engaging in the activity, and actively repressing the thinking and urges. I'm guessing there are very very few who don't explore their given sexuality in some form, even if it be in dreams. There comes a self hatred when not just not acting on them, but actively trying to purge the thoughts and the component of your identity. At that level the effects are deeper and different than simple abstinence.

Wait, sexual feelings are a component of your identity now?

Tell me, what is so different between homosexuals and heterosexuals? Why is sexuality so much a part of homosexual identity? Heterosexuals are attracted to the opposite sex, and even if they don't act on that attraction, they are fine.

But if homosexuals don't act on that attraction, it's repression, loss of identity, effects are deeper, etc.?

Why is sexuality so stressed upon? It only kicks in and is a major part of one's thinking for a very brief period of life.

And it will be true.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 2:07:04 AM
No one gives a fvck if you are a butt lover anymore. For Christs sake, you'd think this sh!t would be out of people's system since the sexual revolution.

The only people who honestly give a sh!t anymore are usually raging wankholes anyway.

Personally, I've always found the anus to be an inferior hole, but if you are the type who likes it up the butt, that is completely understandable. I guess everyone loves penises so heeeeeeeey.

I love my penis.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 2:08:58 AM
And I can sympathize with the lesbians especially, because women are just beautiful. They are tastier and more pleasant to the touch.

But having to rely on devices in order to get the penetration aspect must be a downer.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 2:45:12 AM
At 10/13/2011 11:35:03 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 10/13/2011 5:07:08 PM, innomen wrote:

Wait, sexual feelings are a component of your identity now?

It is sort of unfortunate, but yes.

Tell me, what is so different between homosexuals and heterosexuals? Why is sexuality so much a part of homosexual identity? Heterosexuals are attracted to the opposite sex, and even if they don't act on that attraction, they are fine.

Honestly i wish it wasn't such a part of everyone's identity. You most likely take it for granted, but your identity of being a straight male is dependent upon your sex (obviously), and really wish it weren't the case, but a gay male or lesbian has that precurser attached to them. Some will revel in that identity, others will not really make more of it than it is. I truly wish people would think of me as Dennis, and nothing with a further qualifier than that, and the person that i am, but i cannot tell you how many people (here in particular) qualify innomen with being gay. It's certainly not my imagination judging from all the PMs and posts on my profile. I also don't mean people who are okay with being gay and just don't engage in having sex, there are loads of them, and they can live a fine life. I refer to people who are born gay and punish themselves for any of their natural tendencies. There are some brainwashing centers that will attempt at purging your mind of your sexual inclination, and trust me when i say, bad things happen when you do that.
But if homosexuals don't act on that attraction, it's repression, loss of identity, effects are deeper, etc.?

Why is sexuality so stressed upon? It only kicks in and is a major part of one's thinking for a very brief period of life.

Wut?!? You think people stop wanting sex at some point? They may not be behaving like a teenager, out of control with a new toy, but trust me not that much changes.

lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 6:59:39 AM

I was the OP, I was trying to start a debate... (:
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 8:51:41 AM

If it was purely biological then the big pharmaceutical companies would be developing a "cure" for those homosexual men who, for family, religious or cultural reasons would prefer to be heterosexual.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 2:09:56 PM
At 10/14/2011 8:51:41 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

If it was purely biological then the big pharmaceutical companies would be developing a "cure" for those homosexual men who, for family, religious or cultural reasons would prefer to be heterosexual.

it is not a disease so research of this kind would not take popular priority. There are, however, many people who are indeed searching for a "cure."