Jump to topic:

dr pepper commercial....i don't get it

rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 9:37:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't get it. Do I have to watch action movies to drink Dr Pepper now? Do I have to have a penis? I don't even like romantic comedies! I'm not a super femme but I find this obnoxiously stereotypical, very off-putting, and kind of offensive.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 9:54:19 PM
At 10/13/2011 9:37:09 PM, rogue wrote:

I don't get it. Do I have to watch action movies to drink Dr Pepper now? Do I have to have a penis? I don't even like romantic comedies! I'm not a super femme but I find this obnoxiously stereotypical, very off-putting, and kind of offensive.

It's advertising, it's meant to get people talking about the product. It is obnoxious and stereotypical and everything you said, but that's exactly why it works. This thread wouldn't exist if it hadn't been offensive.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 9:58:46 PM
I know. How stereotypical and obnoxious! It plays on the tendency of men to distinguish ourself based on our manliness. The smart guys obviously understand the sexist commercial and won't buy into it.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 10:02:15 PM
At 10/13/2011 9:54:19 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

It's advertising, it's meant to get people talking about the product. It is obnoxious and stereotypical and everything you said, but that's exactly why it works. This thread wouldn't exist if it hadn't been offensive.

wow good point. but i feel like its bad advertising because it alienates 51% of possible consumers.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 10:17:54 PM
At 10/13/2011 10:02:15 PM, rogue wrote:

wow good point. but i feel like its bad advertising because it alienates 51% of possible consumers.

There's no way 100% of possible consumers would actually be consumers, so potentially alienating 51% in the hopes of attracting some of the other 49% makes sense. I don't even know that they alienated 51% of possible consumers with that, because if I really like Dr Pepper, then I'm going to buy it regardless of the ad campaign they are currently using because I know it's good soda. This commercial only alienated people that might not have bought Dr Pepper anyway, while gaining more customers (men that want to look like the people in the commercial). I know its a cheesy saying, but there's no such thing as bad advertising.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 10:23:01 PM
A_Z is partly right. I think the ultra-masculine stuff appeals to men who are insecure about their sexuality and have something to prove, and want to feel like big masculine men by drinking Dr. Pepper. Men who are actually secure in their masculinity do not have anything to prove. I assure you, most confident men don't buy that advertisement.
Rusho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2011 12:19:47 AM
Well they are trying to get men to drink it while saying hey its only ten calories so women will as well. Yeah, its crap though. I won't be buying it, they need to be a little more creative, and not jump around everywhere in the commercial. All around it was just absolutely stupid.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 8:51:11 PM

I never saw this or heard of this stuff until 10 seconds ago when I saw this thread. I think I want to try it now.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 9:06:20 PM
At 10/24/2011 8:51:11 PM, Double_R wrote:

I never saw this or heard of this stuff until 10 seconds ago when I saw this thread. I think I want to try it now.

Go for it. As long as you have a dick you are allowed to drink it.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 9:10:09 PM
A soda advertised for its low calorie content.

Manly.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You can have this goofy "Manly" advertising," you can advertise it as diet soda for pansy diet soda people, but those don't work well together.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 10:29:58 PM
At 10/24/2011 9:10:09 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
A soda advertised for its low calorie content.

Manly.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You can have this goofy "Manly" advertising," you can advertise it as diet soda for pansy diet soda people, but those don't work well together.

Yea, but the commercial had a lot of cool explosions n stuff so it must be good. Also the can is blue. That's a manly color so I won't feel bad drinking it.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 10:35:32 PM
"It's not for women" is a pretty stupid way to alienate half the population. Wouldn't they get better business if they had omitted that last sentence?
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 11:00:14 PM
At 10/24/2011 10:35:32 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
"It's not for women" is a pretty stupid way to alienate half the population. Wouldn't they get better business if they had omitted that last sentence?

In all seriousness, saying that "it's not for women" is a way of making men feel privileged to drink it. It might seem silly but you would be surprised how these psychological tactics work on a large scale. I knew a gut who put an ad for an apartment in the newspaper a few years back, and got no responses. He tried again, this time he ran the same exact ad but added at the end: "call now". His phone would not stop ringing.

Apparently in the world of advertising the words "call now" are what they call an imbedded command. People need to be told what to do, no matter how obvious it may seem. This is why you hear this in every single 1-800 commercial. Their ads actually don't work without it.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 11:07:27 PM
At 10/24/2011 11:00:14 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 10/24/2011 10:35:32 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

In all seriousness, saying that "it's not for women" is a way of making men feel privileged to drink it. It might seem silly but you would be surprised how these psychological tactics work on a large scale. I knew a gut who put an ad for an apartment in the newspaper a few years back, and got no responses. He tried again, this time he ran the same exact ad but added at the end: "call now". His phone would not stop ringing.

Apparently in the world of advertising the words "call now" are what they call an imbedded command. People need to be told what to do, no matter how obvious it may seem. This is why you hear this in every single 1-800 commercial. Their ads actually don't work without it.

I see your point. Did you ever notice that if people list "requirements" for tenants or roommates, the reader would usually want to make sure they meet those requirements. For instance "no unemployed people" "no messy people" etc. It makes the potential applicant feel privileged to be picked. It could also go horribly wrong and be a huge turnoff and may come off as snobbish.

"Call now" makes more people call? Never knew that. I should put that in all of my craigslist ads whenever I sell stuff.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 11:10:49 PM
What a stupid, stupid ad.
"It's not for woman" is a ridiculous slogan.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 12:37:08 PM

Yes, you do have to watch action movies and have a penis to drink doctor pepper. They will test you at the check out stand.

Though really, there are plenty of commericals that are geared just for men, and plenty geared just for women. This merely is taking it rediculously over the top. I know on the internet there is Poe's Law, but for this commerical, it should be obvious that it is sarcastic. I mean, the guy says "catch phrase!"
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 12:57:41 PM

It's more offensive from the male perspective, it is part of an ongoing campaign to assert the idea that men are essentially just children.

For some reason there is a growing gender segregation for fizzy drinks, diet coke is specifically targetted at women, coke zero adverts with their many explosions and such like are specifically targetted at men.

And it works, otherwise they would not do it.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 8:26:02 PM
At 10/25/2011 12:37:08 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Yes, you do have to watch action movies and have a penis to drink doctor pepper. They will test you at the check out stand.

I knew it! There was no other possible explanation that really seemed to make marketing sense!
reasonable75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2011 9:25:59 PM
At 10/13/2011 9:58:46 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I know. How stereotypical and obnoxious! It plays on the tendency of men to distinguish ourself based on our manliness. The smart guys obviously understand the sexist commercial and won't buy into it.

lol for some reason this made me laugh a little.
"There's a false assumption about science operating here. Science is not in principle committed to the idea that there's no after-life, or that the mind is identical to the brain, or that materialism is true. Science is completely open to whatever in fact is true." - Sam Harris

jimtimmy wrote:
"Look at me look at me look at me! I am a scary racist... trololololol. Oh noes somene is holding me to account for my sh1t."

Cerebral_Narcissist: "Cool story bro."
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 11:30:12 AM
It was done on purpose to get men to drink it. Men in general don't drink diet soda's with the exception girly men. Not that there is anything wrong with being a girly man in this day and age of political correctness.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%