Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Deal Breaker

Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 2:12:14 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Most of us consider ourselves to be reasonably open-minded. We have friends, family members, and significant others whose opinions differ with ours in one way or another. Yet, despite these different viewpoints, we still manage to maintain working, amicable relationships.

That is, of course, unless they differ with us on our deal breaker. It's that one issue you simply won't budge on and one where you have trouble comprehending how anyone can disagree.

So, be it gay marriage, global warming, or Kirk over Picard, what is your deal breaker?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Calvincambridge
Posts: 1,141
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 6:42:24 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
religion
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 8:25:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Gay marriage.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 8:26:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
and Income redistribution.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 10:23:24 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Venereal diseases tend to be a big turn off for me.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 10:33:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I remember an argument with my Granddad about whether there was any point to the Harry Potter books (I was about 11 or 12). He maintained that there was no point reading any fantasy stories because they were 'imaginary' and 'didn't teach you anything useful'. I remember just not understanding how someone could think like that.

Nowadays, short of being overtly sexist or racist or something of that kind, I can generally get along with people regardless of their opinions on things. Religion doesn't bother me at all. Actually, my experience has been that very religious people are usually nicer that everyone else.
marcuscato
Posts: 738
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 10:45:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/19/2011 10:33:42 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Actually, my experience has been that very religious people are usually nicer that everyone else.

To what extent is "nicer" influenced by the morals(religion) you were raised in?

Most atheists are also nice people, almost everybody is born into some religion. Atheism is generally a conclusion you come to on your own, people who come to a different conclusion tend to be people who have thought about things.
A lot of atheists become atheists because they are dissatisfied because of the suffering/perceived injustice they see in the world.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 11:48:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yeah, people who think animals can be hurt for fun and it doesn't matter because they're aren't human. You set a cat on fire, I'll set you on fire. And laugh.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 12:07:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Beyond extreme malice, animal cruelty, child cruelty, rape, murder etc etc... I'll be friends with almost anyone. Even Jews.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
seraine
Posts: 734
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 5:04:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/19/2011 2:12:14 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Most of us consider ourselves to be reasonably open-minded. We have friends, family members, and significant others whose opinions differ with ours in one way or another. Yet, despite these different viewpoints, we still manage to maintain working, amicable relationships.

That is, of course, unless they differ with us on our deal breaker. It's that one issue you simply won't budge on and one where you have trouble comprehending how anyone can disagree.

So, be it gay marriage, global warming, or Kirk over Picard, what is your deal breaker?

Nothing other than cruelty to animals/extreme racism/homophobism(is that a word)/sexism is a deal breaker. I would definitely be annoyed by moderate racism/homophobism/sexism and probably couldn't be a close friend to the person, but I would still be their friend.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 5:15:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The Anarchist, the Communist, or the pretentious vegetarian tend to repulse me. I don't know any such people, so I haven't had to deal with it yet.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 5:26:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Religion, it's a huge deal breaker for me and most in my immediate family due to previous experiences.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 5:35:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/19/2011 5:26:23 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Religion, it's a huge deal breaker for me and most in my immediate family due to previous experiences.

Or someone who flat out rejects any seemingly "extreme" position due to preconceived biases i.e. an anti-communist because it's "unamerican" or an anti-anarchist because "anarchy is chaos".
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
seraine
Posts: 734
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 5:51:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/19/2011 5:26:23 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Religion, it's a huge deal breaker for me and most in my immediate family due to previous experiences.

Even if they don't talk about it?
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 5:52:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I probably wouldn't be friends with too many people here, but the politically over-active are those that bug me the most. And my bar of "over-active" is not very high. When I'm with friends, I don't care what their political position is, whether they are democrat, republican, libertarian, socialist, whatever, but I don't want to talk about it. I don't want to be hanging out at the arcade and have a friend bring up what the democrats or republicans in congress are doing, or anything like that. If we go out to a resturaunt or something to grab a bite, I don't mind talking about sports, movies, music, how everyone is doing, but damnit all, I don't want to talk about politics.

That and the other's that people have mentioned, animal abuse (or abuse in general), drug issues, drinking issues, etc.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 5:56:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/19/2011 5:51:31 PM, seraine wrote:
At 10/19/2011 5:26:23 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Religion, it's a huge deal breaker for me and most in my immediate family due to previous experiences.

Even if they don't talk about it?

Perhaps I was too vague. People actively involved in organized religion bug me, nothing personal, it's completely due to past experiences.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 7:50:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't think I could date someone who doesn't drink, smoke, or engages in recreational drugs fairly frequently. I don't know how I would interact with them. It's just so much a part of my lifestyle, for better or for worse, and I could never routinely hang out with someone without those factors. I definitely don't have a problem with any of these though.
marcuscato
Posts: 738
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 5:52:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/19/2011 7:50:49 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I don't think I could date someone who doesn't drink, smoke, or engages in recreational drugs fairly frequently. I don't know how I would interact with them. It's just so much a part of my lifestyle, for better or for worse, and I could never routinely hang out with someone without those factors.

First time hearing it from that side of the fence. I guess there's a counter-culture for everything.
What do you enjoy about smoking? whats the difference between that and sticking your head in a chimney? I don't mean to sound rude, just curious...(I've never done any of the above)
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 9:32:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/20/2011 5:52:35 AM, marcuscato wrote:
At 10/19/2011 7:50:49 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I don't think I could date someone who doesn't drink, smoke, or engages in recreational drugs fairly frequently. I don't know how I would interact with them. It's just so much a part of my lifestyle, for better or for worse, and I could never routinely hang out with someone without those factors.

First time hearing it from that side of the fence. I guess there's a counter-culture for everything.
What do you enjoy about smoking? whats the difference between that and sticking your head in a chimney? I don't mean to sound rude, just curious...(I've never done any of the above)

Well, I don't think sticking your head in a chimney gets you high. No, but I smoke in a pretty clean way through a filtered pipe so I basically get purely THC. Once you get past the hysteria surrounding it in some conservative cultures you realize that weed is just a fun experience for most of us.
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 11:40:47 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I would have to say open-mindedness about my choices. I'm considering going into the military, and I told a "friend" of mine about it and he goes "You're throwing your life away!" Ahem... I'm not throwing it away if it's something I want to do.

Needless to say I don't talk to him if i can avoid it anymore.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
kogline
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 2:17:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
for me it's not a persons beliefs/opinions its how they present them. i regularly dislike people who say something that i agree with/believe in just by the way they say it.

condescension/snobbery/self-righteousness are some of the big things i don't care for. i actually like people to have different opinions from me so that we have something interesting to talk about, as long as they aren't easily offended or have the above qualities. it gets kinda boring saying yea i totally agree for an hour.
if state farm has perfected teleportation technology why do they still sell car insurance?
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 4:14:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/19/2011 12:07:34 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Beyond extreme malice, animal cruelty, child cruelty, rape, murder etc etc... I'll be friends with almost anyone.

k, k..

Even Jews.

You monster.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp