Total Posts:94|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Vegetarians

nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 7:14:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
If there was a pill that gave you 100% of your daily nutrients and was enough to satisfy your basic hunger would you give up food completely? If not, what is your argument?
marcuscato
Posts: 738
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 8:32:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/1/2011 7:14:32 AM, nonentity wrote:
If there was a pill that gave you 100% of your daily nutrients and was enough to satisfy your basic hunger would you give up food completely? If not, what is your argument?

The logic which is used to against discrimination(gender,colour,cupsize)
should also apply to animals, however if you don't believe its wrong to kill people then you can gorge on kfc hot wings without feeling guilty.
Your existence also results in death of micro-organisms,i do not see how you could avoid that.
lotus_flower
Posts: 454
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 8:38:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/1/2011 7:14:32 AM, nonentity wrote:
If there was a pill that gave you 100% of your daily nutrients and was enough to satisfy your basic hunger would you give up food completely? If not, what is your argument?

of coarse. I am fat. lol
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
*******************************************************
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 11:05:13 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/1/2011 8:32:38 AM, marcuscato wrote:
At 11/1/2011 7:14:32 AM, nonentity wrote:
If there was a pill that gave you 100% of your daily nutrients and was enough to satisfy your basic hunger would you give up food completely? If not, what is your argument?

The logic which is used to against discrimination(gender,colour,cupsize)
should also apply to animals, however if you don't believe its wrong to kill people then you can gorge on kfc hot wings without feeling guilty.
Your existence also results in death of micro-organisms,i do not see how you could avoid that.

The question is would you give up food for a pill that could replace food? Why not?
inferno
Posts: 10,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 11:06:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/1/2011 7:14:32 AM, nonentity wrote:
If there was a pill that gave you 100% of your daily nutrients and was enough to satisfy your basic hunger would you give up food completely? If not, what is your argument?

Vegetarianism is irrelevent. The typical vegan does not live longer than the average American. I can live just as long as you can by eating unprocessed food along with fruits and veggies. This is just another scam.
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 10:21:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Sure, it would save time. This is assuming the pill costs the same as or less than a daily supply of food.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2011 11:33:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/1/2011 7:14:32 AM, nonentity wrote:
If there was a pill that gave you 100% of your daily nutrients and was enough to satisfy your basic hunger would you give up food completely? If not, what is your argument?

Probably. Food production is tough on the environment (transportation costs, etc.). It sounds convenient and probably wouldn't give me any calories I don't need. I like to eat but if it made more sense to eat pills, and if it actually is satiating, why not?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 1:07:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Depends on how it tastes. I am assuming the pill is vegetarian, then I would alternate between tasty Vege dishes for occasions, and the pill for normal life.

I couldn't understand the motivation of asking the question. What's the point?
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 1:12:23 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Probably not.
Food tastes good...
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
marcuscato
Posts: 738
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 1:14:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/2/2011 1:07:00 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
Depends on how it tastes. I am assuming the pill is vegetarian, then I would alternate between tasty Vege dishes for occasions, and the pill for normal life.

I couldn't understand the motivation of asking the question. What's the point?

The opening post is asking why draw the line at animals? Why is it okay to kill plants?
I dont see the utility of this question, it might be better to discuss the difference between killing plants and animals, quite possibly the OP wanted to provoke said discussion.
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 1:26:03 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/2/2011 1:14:17 AM, marcuscato wrote:
At 11/2/2011 1:07:00 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
Depends on how it tastes. I am assuming the pill is vegetarian, then I would alternate between tasty Vege dishes for occasions, and the pill for normal life.

I couldn't understand the motivation of asking the question. What's the point?

The opening post is asking why draw the line at animals? Why is it okay to kill plants?
I dont see the utility of this question, it might be better to discuss the difference between killing plants and animals, quite possibly the OP wanted to provoke said discussion.

Plants have a nervous system, a brain, a heart, I can draw parallels between a animal and myself, but not between me and a plant.

I mean if its okay to eat animals, why not humans? Why is cannibalism looked down upon? I sense some hypocrisy.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 6:37:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I guess i should've added the pill doesn't taste the same. And of course nobody in the thread would think that food is more than just about hunger. People eat because they like to chew and there is a psychology to eating. Sigh. I don't even know why I bother on here to be honest.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 8:08:14 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/1/2011 10:21:50 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
Sure, it would save time. This is assuming the pill costs the same as or less than a daily supply of food.

If animals and animal byproducts are a significant part of your daily diet then changing your diet to exclude them while still getting your daily nutritional value is going out of your way, is probably more expensive, and is not saving time because you have to spend more time planning (ie. planning interesting and delicious vegan recipes that still fulfill your daily requirements).

Anyway, I challenge anyone who claims they would choose to take the pill over food to blend all of their food and drink it for a week.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 8:12:43 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/2/2011 1:14:17 AM, marcuscato wrote:
At 11/2/2011 1:07:00 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
Depends on how it tastes. I am assuming the pill is vegetarian, then I would alternate between tasty Vege dishes for occasions, and the pill for normal life.

I couldn't understand the motivation of asking the question. What's the point?

The opening post is asking why draw the line at animals? Why is it okay to kill plants?
I dont see the utility of this question, it might be better to discuss the difference between killing plants and animals, quite possibly the OP wanted to provoke said discussion.

Actually, no. The opening post was expose the stupidity of the argument that you can get your daily nutrional value from sources other than animals and animal byproducts and, therefore, you should cut out animals and animal byproducts. The argument alone doesn't explain why I should want to do that, when I enjoy eating meat. Why should we eat food at all, when with the right number of pills and meal replacement shakes we could get our daily value? Because we, as people, like to eat.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 1:45:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/2/2011 8:12:43 AM, nonentity wrote:
At 11/2/2011 1:14:17 AM, marcuscato wrote:
At 11/2/2011 1:07:00 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
Depends on how it tastes. I am assuming the pill is vegetarian, then I would alternate between tasty Vege dishes for occasions, and the pill for normal life.

I couldn't understand the motivation of asking the question. What's the point?

The opening post is asking why draw the line at animals? Why is it okay to kill plants?
I dont see the utility of this question, it might be better to discuss the difference between killing plants and animals, quite possibly the OP wanted to provoke said discussion.

Actually, no. The opening post was expose the stupidity of the argument that you can get your daily nutrional value from sources other than animals and animal byproducts and, therefore, you should cut out animals and animal byproducts. The argument alone doesn't explain why I should want to do that, when I enjoy eating meat. Why should we eat food at all, when with the right number of pills and meal replacement shakes we could get our daily value? Because we, as people, like to eat.

It's a stupid argument If you think that it is morally alright to kill animals for enjoyment. However, vegetarians and vegans think this is wrong.

It's like If I enjoyed the taste of humans, you wouldn't think that it would be alright for me to start slaughtering them.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 5:09:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If the pill tasted like a 24 ounce Rib eye, green beans with bacon' and garlic mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy and the flavors lasted as long as it took me to eat that food, I would take the pill. Then it would have to taste like something else tomorrow.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 5:13:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/1/2011 7:14:32 AM, nonentity wrote:
If there was a pill that gave you 100% of your daily nutrients and was enough to satisfy your basic hunger would you give up food completely? If not, what is your argument?:

As it stands now, taking multi-vitamins is a very ineffecient way of receiving your nutrients. There really is no substitute for eating organic food in its purest state. However, if they somehow came up with a way to efficiently deliver nutrients to your body while getting rid of hunger pangs then, yeah, why not...
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 5:58:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/2/2011 1:45:25 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/2/2011 8:12:43 AM, nonentity wrote:
At 11/2/2011 1:14:17 AM, marcuscato wrote:
At 11/2/2011 1:07:00 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
Depends on how it tastes. I am assuming the pill is vegetarian, then I would alternate between tasty Vege dishes for occasions, and the pill for normal life.

I couldn't understand the motivation of asking the question. What's the point?

The opening post is asking why draw the line at animals? Why is it okay to kill plants?
I dont see the utility of this question, it might be better to discuss the difference between killing plants and animals, quite possibly the OP wanted to provoke said discussion.

Actually, no. The opening post was expose the stupidity of the argument that you can get your daily nutrional value from sources other than animals and animal byproducts and, therefore, you should cut out animals and animal byproducts. The argument alone doesn't explain why I should want to do that, when I enjoy eating meat. Why should we eat food at all, when with the right number of pills and meal replacement shakes we could get our daily value? Because we, as people, like to eat.

It's a stupid argument If you think that it is morally alright to kill animals for enjoyment. However, vegetarians and vegans think this is wrong.


Exactly. Most people conflate the two arguments and use the argument that you can get your food from other sources as its own argument. The only reason you would want to get your food from other sources is IF you believe killing animals for food is wrong.

It's like If I enjoyed the taste of humans, you wouldn't think that it would be alright for me to start slaughtering them.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 6:12:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/1/2011 7:14:32 AM, nonentity wrote:
If there was a pill that gave you 100% of your daily nutrients and was enough to satisfy your basic hunger would you give up food completely? If not, what is your argument?

food is tasty

tastiness is a form of goodness :)

and.. well.. animals don't Have to hurt.. they can go quick..
and.. with bugs, who cares.. with fish, I'm not worried about freaking them out/exciting them, and Death can come quick via decapitation... same with those damned velociraptors (birds)

Mammals I empathize with More than just about the simple pains.. but I sympathize with many of them apparently going through uncomfortable emotional states similar to what I experience.. And it would upset me to see them so.. or to think about my causing them to be so..

so.. I could see implementing laws to make them comfortable in life.. But if death is pretty guaranteed to come as quick as the drop of a hammer/butcher's knife.. I don't get all too worked up about the pig's life ending before he reaches old age...

And I DO like good/tasty bacon :o)

so it's a net benefit
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 8:36:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/2/2011 5:58:50 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 11/2/2011 1:45:25 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/2/2011 8:12:43 AM, nonentity wrote:
At 11/2/2011 1:14:17 AM, marcuscato wrote:
At 11/2/2011 1:07:00 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
Depends on how it tastes. I am assuming the pill is vegetarian, then I would alternate between tasty Vege dishes for occasions, and the pill for normal life.

I couldn't understand the motivation of asking the question. What's the point?

The opening post is asking why draw the line at animals? Why is it okay to kill plants?
I dont see the utility of this question, it might be better to discuss the difference between killing plants and animals, quite possibly the OP wanted to provoke said discussion.

Actually, no. The opening post was expose the stupidity of the argument that you can get your daily nutrional value from sources other than animals and animal byproducts and, therefore, you should cut out animals and animal byproducts. The argument alone doesn't explain why I should want to do that, when I enjoy eating meat. Why should we eat food at all, when with the right number of pills and meal replacement shakes we could get our daily value? Because we, as people, like to eat.

It's a stupid argument If you think that it is morally alright to kill animals for enjoyment. However, vegetarians and vegans think this is wrong.


Exactly. Most people conflate the two arguments and use the argument that you can get your food from other sources as its own argument. The only reason you would want to get your food from other sources is IF you believe killing animals for food is wrong.

Except it becomes If you believe that killing animals for enjoyment is wrong. The argument starts with the initial premise that unnecessary killing of animals is wrong. Eating meat is unnecessary. Therefore eating meat is wrong.

If you don't agree with the initial premise, then its logically sound to say that you don't agree with vegetarianism. However what you can't do is say that vegetarianism is stupid and then criticize burning puppies for enjoyment, unless you believe that a dog's life is more valuable then a cow, pig or other sources of food.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 10:27:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/1/2011 7:14:32 AM, nonentity wrote:
If there was a pill that gave you 100% of your daily nutrients and was enough to satisfy your basic hunger would you give up food completely? If not, what is your argument?

Food is good!! lol I couldn't go one day without eating atleast one cheeseburger. Or one month without steak. Besides, pill-popping is bad. :P
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
gerrandesquire
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 6:55:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
And about psychology of eating, do you intend to imply that vegetarians dont eat tasty food or something, or that they are against enjoying food? Because that is untrue. They love to enjoy food, they just align their morality with what they eat.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 9:23:24 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Dark, here's the difference between humans and animals. In 100% of cases, I believe killing a human is wrong. If a human kills a human or an animal kills a human, I am outraged. However, I would not be outraged if an animal killed another animal. Most vegetarians wouldn't be. However, vegetarians don't seem to care about the life of an animal when other animals are involved. Whether a human is involved or not, I care about the life of a human.

So no, I don't follow the premise that killing an animal is wrong.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 9:41:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Nonentity, what would you like a vegetarian to do if they witnesses an animal killing another animal? Put the animal on trial? Most vegetarians identify as such because of (a) their own religious beliefs, (b) they realize that it promotes a healthier lifestyle - and that there is a lot of really bad ish that goes into our meat, or (c) they have an ethical problem with the way animals are bred specifically with the intent to live miserable lives and then be killed. They consider this unnecessary whereas animals really don't have any other way of surviving. I'm not a vegetarian, but even I can see that holding animals to the same standards as humans is silly. Vi is a vegetarian and I pretty much became one by default when we lived together (because we wouldn't cook separate meals). I wish I had the will power to do it.
President of DDO