Jump to topic:

Suicide

wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2011 7:46:14 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Recently for reason's unknown, I have been really interested in suicides and why people would think of it as an option. If you have any comments, please post or if you have any experience with suicidal thoughts.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 1:39:55 AM
I tried to commit suicide once and I used to think about it a lot. I did not actually want to die but I felt that was the best option. I have struggled with depression for about a third of my life. I would often become so depressed and feel so much pain and hopelessness that I thought that death was the only escape from the pain and that the pain was unbearable. Although I knew the pain would go away, I felt it would just come back like it always did and so my entire life I'd just be waiting for the next episode of depression and I decided I didn't want to live like that.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 6:49:46 AM
At 11/26/2011 1:39:55 AM, rogue wrote:
I tried to commit suicide once and I used to think about it a lot. I did not actually want to die but I felt that was the best option. I have struggled with depression for about a third of my life. I would often become so depressed and feel so much pain and hopelessness that I thought that death was the only escape from the pain and that the pain was unbearable. Although I knew the pain would go away, I felt it would just come back like it always did and so my entire life I'd just be waiting for the next episode of depression and I decided I didn't want to live like that.

I am so sorry, please know that depression is only temporary. Besides, if you can muster up courage to even attempt suicide, then you have the ability to overcome this depression.
Hang in there <3
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 8:32:40 AM
At 11/26/2011 6:49:46 AM, wierdman wrote:

I am so sorry, please know that depression is only temporary. Besides, if you can muster up courage to even attempt suicide, then you have the ability to overcome this depression.
Hang in there <3

Not to be the cynic, but from what I've read/been told by doctors, depression technically never goes away. People overcome it and learn to cope/live a happy life anyway, but it technically is always there.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 8:33:36 AM
Anyway: I attempted suicide as well. Not out of any sort of depression, or wishing to die, but I had a sort of morbid curiosity, let's just say.

gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 9:18:48 AM
At 11/26/2011 8:33:36 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Anyway: I attempted suicide as well. Not out of any sort of depression, or wishing to die, but I had a sort of morbid curiosity, let's just say.

Let's see what would happen if I- die?
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 10:50:04 AM

How interesting... Exactly what were you curious about?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 12:05:45 PM
At 11/26/2011 10:50:04 AM, wierdman wrote:

How interesting... Exactly what were you curious about?

It was like...what is suicide like...what is DEATH like....

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 12:09:10 PM

According to studies, people who have attempted suicide at least once (and failed) earn 20% more than people who have never attempted suicide. Supposedly many of them use it as an impetus to turn their life around.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 1:59:19 PM
At 11/26/2011 12:09:10 PM, bluesteel wrote:

According to studies, people who have attempted suicide at least once (and failed) earn 20% more than people who have never attempted suicide. Supposedly many of them use it as an impetus to turn their life around.

Lol, was that clarification really necessary?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 2:01:23 PM
At 11/26/2011 1:59:19 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 11/26/2011 12:09:10 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Lol, was that clarification really necessary?

I think committing suicide should be a capital offense.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 2:12:26 PM
Suicide = murder
abortion = murder

Suicide = abortion?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 3:08:10 PM
I really think that people who commit suicide are so touched or hurt to the point where they actually try to kill themselves. The problem is that i need more information on the type of problem.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 10:08:48 PM

Hang in there <3

Haha thanks. Unfortunately depression isn't temporary for me. I have dysthymic disorder. But I'm dealing ok.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 10:11:20 PM
At 11/26/2011 3:08:10 PM, wierdman wrote:
I really think that people who commit suicide are so touched or hurt to the point where they actually try to kill themselves. The problem is that i need more information on the type of problem.

The problem is different for everyone. I can tell you mine if you like but most likely it will sound stupid to you. Most reasons found stupid when someone isn't completely irrational lol.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 10:30:23 PM
Suicide is the sport of chumps.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2011 11:44:02 AM
At 11/27/2011 10:30:23 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Suicide is the sport of chumps.

Your mother is the sport of chumps.

BTW, this is part of a Yale university lecture on death that address the issue of the rationality of suicide:

It's thought provoking stuff.
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2011 11:57:41 AM
At 11/26/2011 2:21:41 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 11/26/2011 2:12:26 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Suicide = murder
abortion = murder

Suicide = abortion?

: o.O
^^^
My thoughts exactly
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 10:38:07 AM
At 11/26/2011 2:12:26 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Suicide = murder
abortion = murder

Suicide = abortion?

Suicide = voluntary retrospective abortion? Read all about it: http://www.debate.org...
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2011 10:52:34 PM

Hang in there <3

That's actually on pretty much every list of what not to say to someone experiencing Depression lol

It's pretty much agreed in the Psychological community that Depression is for life... I'm starting to doubt that though.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 3:42:33 AM
At 11/30/2011 10:52:34 PM, nonentity wrote:

Hang in there <3

That's actually on pretty much every list of what not to say to someone experiencing Depression lol

This. If someone has felt shitty through almost their entire lifespan, its almost akin to saying "Yea, go kill yourself".
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 5:12:06 AM
At 11/27/2011 10:11:20 PM, rogue wrote:
At 11/26/2011 3:08:10 PM, wierdman wrote:

The problem is different for everyone. I can tell you mine if you like but most likely it will sound stupid to you. Most reasons found stupid when someone isn't completely irrational lol.

Indeed
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 11:18:50 AM
At 11/30/2011 11:08:21 AM, mtw wrote:
Life isn't worth living
Death isn't worth dying

hmmm

call it
*flips coin*

I actually did flip a coin over it. It came up death. I chickened out though.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
mtw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2011 7:51:48 AM
At 12/1/2011 11:18:50 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/30/2011 11:08:21 AM, mtw wrote:
Life isn't worth living
Death isn't worth dying

hmmm

call it
*flips coin*

I actually did flip a coin over it. It came up death. I chickened out though.

Coins have lead me to do some terrible stuff, I think I should give them up.