Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Drinking, and writing.

WhiteWolf
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 2:38:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Lets admit it. Most of the best authors were alcoholics, or heavy drugs users. I feel like it helps me write wayyy better, and just overall makes things run smoother. Do you think so? If you put up the effort, and you aren't to drunk, or high you can pull a bunch of stuff out you thought you never had in you.
lotus_flower
Posts: 454
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 10:36:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
most of my debates are written high.
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
*******************************************************
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 2:36:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/6/2011 10:36:28 AM, lotus_flower wrote:
most of my debates are written high.

Same here. At least 95 percent.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 2:39:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/6/2011 2:38:19 AM, WhiteWolf wrote:
Lets admit it. Most of the best authors were alcoholics, or heavy drugs users. I feel like it helps me write wayyy better, and just overall makes things run smoother. Do you think so? If you put up the effort, and you aren't to drunk, or high you can pull a bunch of stuff out you thought you never had in you.

Not really, only the very well known ones were. When you consider that most people either drank or did drugs, it only makes sense that many writers would also. But what is far more common, is some drunk or drughead thinks it is the drugs that makes the writer good and so it will make their good too, when it really just makes theirs crap. For every good drunk writer, there are thousands of a crappy writers that think their writing is good because they were on drugs (and so think that there is some super deep meaning, man).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 2:43:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/6/2011 2:36:49 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 12/6/2011 10:36:28 AM, lotus_flower wrote:
most of my debates are written high.

Same here. At least 95 percent.

I clearly can't focus on pot like you can. Most of the time all I want to do is smoke more pot, watch movies and eat potato chips.
I still love getting stoned and reading a book though.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 2:46:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/6/2011 2:43:53 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 12/6/2011 2:36:49 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 12/6/2011 10:36:28 AM, lotus_flower wrote:
most of my debates are written high.

Same here. At least 95 percent.

I clearly can't focus on pot like you can. Most of the time all I want to do is smoke more pot, watch movies and eat potato chips.
I still love getting stoned and reading a book though.

i'd say your interests clearly differ.
signature
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 2:49:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/6/2011 2:39:59 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/6/2011 2:38:19 AM, WhiteWolf wrote:
Lets admit it. Most of the best authors were alcoholics, or heavy drugs users. I feel like it helps me write wayyy better, and just overall makes things run smoother. Do you think so? If you put up the effort, and you aren't to drunk, or high you can pull a bunch of stuff out you thought you never had in you.

Not really, only the very well known ones were. When you consider that most people either drank or did drugs, it only makes sense that many writers would also. But what is far more common, is some drunk or drughead thinks it is the drugs that makes the writer good and so it will make their good too, when it really just makes theirs crap. For every good drunk writer, there are thousands of a crappy writers that think their writing is good because they were on drugs (and so think that there is some super deep meaning, man).

ever taken any drugs my man? what's to say it doesn't make whoever's writing better all the same? while still being crap... who thinks something's good because it must have a meaning that they just can't see? besides maybe donnie darko fans, but hey that made big bucks didn't it? but seriously? at least donnie darko had a cool evil looking murderous rabbit in it...
signature
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 4:16:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/6/2011 2:39:59 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Not really, only the very well known ones were. When you consider that most people either drank or did drugs, it only makes sense that many writers would also. But what is far more common, is some drunk or drughead thinks it is the drugs that makes the writer good and so it will make their good too, when it really just makes theirs crap. For every good drunk writer, there are thousands of a crappy writers that think their writing is good because they were on drugs (and so think that there is some super deep meaning, man).

I see your point, but I think that people who experiment with a lot of recreational drugs or alcohol tend to have a lot of crazy, different experiences to draw and gain experience from, which probably reflects in their writing. I mean, look at the movie The Hangover. Basically that entire experience depicted in the film was a result of them getting sh!t faced. Being impaired changes your consciousness at a variety of levels (depending on the drug). It definitely gives you some writing material, both the effects of the drug themselves and the way the effects impact your perception on reality. Plus, there is both scientific (physical) and psychological evidence that being under the influence of various drugs can open your mind in a ton of different ways. Aldous Huxley (author of Brave New World) wrote something called The Doors of Perception which I think you should definitely read. It's incredibly short, but very good I loved his overall style. It was basically a documentation told in a very poetic manner about his experimentation with mescaline.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 4:20:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/6/2011 2:43:53 PM, tvellalott wrote:
I clearly can't focus on pot like you can. Most of the time all I want to do is smoke more pot, watch movies and eat potato chips.
I still love getting stoned and reading a book though.

Basically what happens is I'm like, "Fvck... I've gotta write a paper/ debate round/ go to work... Might as well smoke" :P It tends to make everything more enjoyable so I don't mind doing whatever menial task it is that I have to do. Of course it's a lot more fun when I don't have to worry about boring obligations.
President of DDO
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 4:24:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/6/2011 4:16:03 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 12/6/2011 2:39:59 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Not really, only the very well known ones were. When you consider that most people either drank or did drugs, it only makes sense that many writers would also. But what is far more common, is some drunk or drughead thinks it is the drugs that makes the writer good and so it will make their good too, when it really just makes theirs crap. For every good drunk writer, there are thousands of a crappy writers that think their writing is good because they were on drugs (and so think that there is some super deep meaning, man).

I see your point, but I think that people who experiment with a lot of recreational drugs or alcohol tend to have a lot of crazy, different experiences to draw and gain experience from, which probably reflects in their writing. I mean, look at the movie The Hangover. Basically that entire experience depicted in the film was a result of them getting sh!t faced. Being impaired changes your consciousness at a variety of levels (depending on the drug). It definitely gives you some writing material, both the effects of the drug themselves and the way the effects impact your perception on reality. Plus, there is both scientific (physical) and psychological evidence that being under the influence of various drugs can open your mind in a ton of different ways. Aldous Huxley (author of Brave New World) wrote something called The Doors of Perception which I think you should definitely read. It's incredibly short, but very good I loved his overall style. It was basically a documentation told in a very poetic manner about his experimentation with mescaline.

I find it highly amusing that "being under the influence of drugs opens your mind in a ton of different ways", which leads to some brilliant writing, and then one can understand such writing with a completely sober mind.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 4:27:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I wrote a paper when I was in college on the Chinese perspective of the Cuban missile crisis, and my professor asked me to have it published in some obscure Poli sci journal, but when I wrote it I was clearly drunk. The thing is, there is that point when you are drinking when you seem to have the juices flowing, and it feels like your just churning out gold, but it's hard to sustain that point.

The problem with most writers who are alcoholics is the progression that alcoholism typically takes wrecks their writing because they and up incoherent, and stupid. An alcoholic will pass through that creative point and go headlong into oblivion where any productive ability is gone, and actually the opposite is true. I don't know of any artist who was creating their best when their alcoholism was at its worst.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 4:59:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/6/2011 4:24:14 PM, Indophile wrote:
I find it highly amusing that "being under the influence of drugs opens your mind in a ton of different ways", which leads to some brilliant writing, and then one can understand such writing with a completely sober mind.

Probably because drugs lower/alter your inhibitions, so though you CAN be as creative or what have you sober, you're just not. Plus, again, it's a combination of both the effects of the drugs (how they impact you, and how they affect the way you view things even when you're sober after having the experience) as well as probably experiences you have while intoxicated in itself that make a writer better, or at least more well rounded. If you're of the camp who thinks good writing comes from experience, then I think it's obvious intoxication can help. It's not about writing while intoxicated necessarily but writing about your experience, too.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 5:00:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/6/2011 4:27:25 PM, innomen wrote:
The problem with most writers who are alcoholics is the progression that alcoholism typically takes wrecks their writing because they and up incoherent, and stupid. An alcoholic will pass through that creative point and go headlong into oblivion where any productive ability is gone, and actually the opposite is true. I don't know of any artist who was creating their best when their alcoholism was at its worst.

Agree. Also, I have no idea how you or anyone could write something drunk...? I have never written anything coherent while drunk. I can barely write a text message. I'm not a big fan of drinking anyway, but if I were drunk, the last thing I'd wanna do is write a paper lol.
President of DDO
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 5:14:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/6/2011 5:00:24 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 12/6/2011 4:27:25 PM, innomen wrote:
The problem with most writers who are alcoholics is the progression that alcoholism typically takes wrecks their writing because they and up incoherent, and stupid. An alcoholic will pass through that creative point and go headlong into oblivion where any productive ability is gone, and actually the opposite is true. I don't know of any artist who was creating their best when their alcoholism was at its worst.

Agree. Also, I have no idea how you or anyone could write something drunk...? I have never written anything coherent while drunk. I can barely write a text message. I'm not a big fan of drinking anyway, but if I were drunk, the last thing I'd wanna do is write a paper lol.

"Drunk" may not be the best word, but definitely under the influence. I remember thinking that i actually could drive better if i had a drink; man was i stupid back then.
WhiteWolf
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 5:40:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/6/2011 5:14:31 PM, innomen wrote:
At 12/6/2011 5:00:24 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 12/6/2011 4:27:25 PM, innomen wrote:
The problem with most writers who are alcoholics is the progression that alcoholism typically takes wrecks their writing because they and up incoherent, and stupid. An alcoholic will pass through that creative point and go headlong into oblivion where any productive ability is gone, and actually the opposite is true. I don't know of any artist who was creating their best when their alcoholism was at its worst.

Agree. Also, I have no idea how you or anyone could write something drunk...? I have never written anything coherent while drunk. I can barely write a text message. I'm not a big fan of drinking anyway, but if I were drunk, the last thing I'd wanna do is write a paper lol.

"Drunk" may not be the best word, but definitely under the influence. I remember thinking that i actually could drive better if i had a drink; man was i stupid back then.

You will say the same thing one day about being a libertarian, "Man was I stupid back then."