Jump to topic:

Lucid dreaming

Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2008 8:08:35 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
To the most of you un-familiar, to lucid dream is to have a dream in which you are conscious that you are in a dream. These are also sometimes called "conscious dreams", I believe.

The concept on face seems un-spectacular, but it is an incredible thing. If, in a dream, you are aware that you are dreaming, you are then in complete control over everything in your dream, since it is in your head.

To quote a character from the movie "waking life" (one of the most significant movies ever, as far as I am concerned):

"The trick is to combine your waking rational abilities with the infinite possibilities of your dreams."

We spend 1/3 of our life sleeping, so being conscious in your sleep would basically be like living longer. With practice, people can have these on will.

If not only for sheer, godlike fun, it allows you to explore your own head, and solve problems. It gives you an enlightened sense of reality being un-definite and dreamlike (back in waking state). After I accidentally had a lucid dream about a year ago, it was about all I could think about for weeks to come. It left, for a while, a combined sense of elation in reliving it, and a yearning to be back in that reality -In that alternate dimension- again.

As for me, I am no expert on this. I have had 2 or 3 real lucid dreams...and then a few less lucid naps in the morning, which don't count for much. About a year ago, as was mentioned, I accidentally had one. For a long time I didn't really succeed in having one again (except for small ones that didn't count) until this past summer, in which I had one again. Nothing can compare, however, to the first lucid dream I had.
funnybrad333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2008 8:16:51 PM
If in my dream I see myself, would that be considered a lucid dream?

Because many times (nearly all), I either star or co-star in my own dreams.
If I didn't answer what you said, try bolding the important part.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2008 8:19:21 PM
At 10/20/2008 8:16:51 PM, funnybrad333 wrote:
If in my dream I see myself, would that be considered a lucid dream?

Because many times (nearly all), I either star or co-star in my own dreams.

Do you know it's a dream? Could you suddenly say "hey wait a minute, Im in control here...and I don't wanna ride this damn ferris wheel"?

Cause the only thing it needs to be a lucid dream is the awareness of the fact that it is a dream.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2008 9:17:05 PM
I dunno. Very often (maybe an hour before I wake up?), I am aware that I am dreaming. I don't think I can control what I do though. I can make mental thoughts that are aware of my being in a dream, but I can't really process those thoughts and do something about them.

It's hard to explain.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2008 9:27:11 PM
I usually become aware of it within 3-5 minutes of waking up... which sucks, because that's when it's getting fun :D.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Wayne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2008 1:42:00 AM
so how do you train yourself to get them? i had one once, it was cool!
To be or not to be... what kind of question is that?
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2008 3:14:28 PM
At 10/21/2008 1:42:00 AM, Wayne wrote:

There's alot of stuff online about this. People have different methods, but one consistant thing seems to be every once and a while doing little tests to see if you are in reality.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2008 8:53:10 PM
Lucid Dreaming: Conversations with your subconscious.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2008 9:01:38 PM
At 10/21/2008 1:42:00 AM, Wayne wrote:

Sometimes one gets them automatically but...

Go without or roughly without sleep for two-three days, that is, until insanely fatigued
If you don't have a headache (if you do it won't happen), drink some caffeine right before you go to sleep.
Think pleasant thoughts.
When you notice funky stuff start to happen, act on pleasant thoughts.
The night is yours.

least that's how it happened (mostly by accident) the only time I managed to do anything along those lines without waking up within 5 minutes. Sleep deprivation is not healthy, so I haven't tried it too many other times :D
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2008 3:15:40 PM
Go without or roughly without sleep for two-three days, that is, until insanely fatigued
If you don't have a headache (if you do it won't happen), drink some caffeine right before you go to sleep.

Jesus, thats hardcore. Why did you not sleep for 3 days?
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2008 4:07:03 PM
Anybody who is interested in this should watch the movie "waking life".

http://video.google.com...

A pretty crappy medium for watching a movie, but whatever.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2008 4:12:10 PM
Actually, come to think of it, even if youre not interested in this topic, watch that movie. That movie has so much in it. I connect it to lucid dreaming, because that was what I got out of this movie. Dreaming in general is probably it's theme, but even that's not all. It is about humanity; it's about metaphysics; it's about the brain; its about society; etc...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2008 4:30:06 PM
At 10/22/2008 3:15:40 PM, Harlan wrote:

Jesus, thats hardcore. Why did you not sleep for 3 days?

Long distance forbidden relationship with most of the communication time coming at night, and since it was secret, I couldn't make up for that time during the day...