Jump to topic:

You can't make a silk purse...

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 11:48:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Up-market fashion houses are routinely criticised for using slim women to model their clothes and for not making dresses large enough to fit "horizontally-tall" women.

However, nobody criticises Ferrari for not making wheelchair accessible cars, or Le Chateaubriand restaurant for not serving ‘le poulet popcorn a la Easy Cheese', or gentlemen's clubs for not employing obese dancers.

The fact is, outsized women do not flatter designer clothes and fashion houses, quite rightly, fear that producing plus-sized clothes would damage their brands.

With apologies in advance if this causes offense but, in my humble opinion, if larger ladies want to wear fashionable clobber, probably the best thing for them to do is to eat less and do more exercise so that they lose weight, because spending lots of money on designer clothes won't make them any more desirable.

Basically, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 12:32:07 PM
At 1/5/2012 11:48:56 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Up-market fashion houses are routinely criticised for using slim women to model their clothes and for not making dresses large enough to fit "horizontally-tall" women.

However, nobody criticises Ferrari for not making wheelchair accessible cars, or Le Chateaubriand restaurant for not serving ‘le poulet popcorn a la Easy Cheese', or gentlemen's clubs for not employing obese dancers.

The fact is, outsized women do not flatter designer clothes and fashion houses, quite rightly, fear that producing plus-sized clothes would damage their brands.

With apologies in advance if this causes offense but, in my humble opinion, if larger ladies want to wear fashionable clobber, probably the best thing for them to do is to eat less and do more exercise so that they lose weight, because spending lots of money on designer clothes won't make them any more desirable.

Individuals who protest this are attempting to alter the social expectation that women must be slim in order to be attractive and that women should only care about their attractiveness in a sexual sense.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 12:36:43 PM
At 1/5/2012 12:32:07 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Individuals who protest this are attempting to alter the social expectation that women must be slim in order to be attractive and that women should only care about their attractiveness in a sexual sense.

Sorry. I don't find models attractive. I don't even think I'd hug one for fear their knobby elbows would puncture a lung or something.

Fashion is all blown up on its own hot air. It attempts to appeal to its own artificially created demographic. Yeah, some of that leaks out into the real world, influencing people who can't form their own opinions about what looks good, but for the most part it's just a big circle jerk.

Of course, I may be biased because I have no fashion sense.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 12:43:25 PM
At 1/5/2012 12:32:07 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

I understand that, but the same goes for men - I mean, what young girl dreams of marrying some big, fat, sweating pile of blubber?

Also, being slim equates to being fit, which equates to being healthy, which equates (instinctively to humans of breeding age) to attractiveness.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...