Jump to topic:

Facebook Sucks *

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 11:27:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Facebook totally and completely sucks. This is the most overrated and generic social online forum in the entire world. It does not have the old basic elements of MySpace. And it is also a haven for stalkers and crazy ex girlfriends. What did I mean by that ? Um, nevermind. But anyway, Facebook is so boring. Its just a bunch of hype and the novelty of it all has worn thin. The people there hardly hold up intelligent and reasonable conversations. And the content is just saturated with bull crap and fly by night subjects of pop culture which I hate.
It's as good as dead as far as I am concerned. The users are not consistent, non existent, and they only show up as inquirers and not buyers. Im not sold. Are you ?
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:29:31 PM
At 1/26/2012 1:27:47 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Maybe you're talking to the wrong people because I constantly have intelligent discussions there.

What is your definition of the word intelligent ?
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:31:33 PM
There were some intelligent conversations actually.
But the format there is lame. The graphics are make me dizzy.
It is too generic. It sucks.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:20:40 PM
At 1/26/2012 11:27:59 AM, inferno wrote:
Facebook totally and completely sucks. This is the most overrated and generic social online forum in the entire world. It does not have the old basic elements of MySpace. And it is also a haven for stalkers and crazy ex girlfriends. What did I mean by that ? Um, nevermind. But anyway, Facebook is so boring. Its just a bunch of hype and the novelty of it all has worn thin. The people there hardly hold up intelligent and reasonable conversations. And the content is just saturated with bull crap and fly by night subjects of pop culture which I hate.
It's as good as dead as far as I am concerned. The users are not consistent, non existent, and they only show up as inquirers and not buyers. Im not sold. Are you ?

inferno, I never thought I would say this- but I agree with you.
I think people have a weird thing about facebook. People don't WANT to talk about their core beliefs as much. They generally want to stray from politics, religion, science, or anything otherwise controversial in an attempt to be polite.

I actually tried to argue with someone who posted a video (made by a black dude) about why republican black people are better than democratic black people. Not republicans vs democrats but black republicans vs black democrats. He was basically saying that black democrats were lazy beggars and black republicans were harder workers and racism doesn't affect the lives of black people if they don't let it blah blah blah a bunch of other nonsense b.s. So I argued with the chick who posted it. She sent me a message that said, "I'm sorry I upset you. I will never post political things again." She didn't bother defending the video AT ALL. She just wanted to share a blatantly racist video and expected nobody to call her out on it. groan.

However, I did change someone's mind about Ron Paul on facebook. So that's awesome.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:27:10 PM
At 1/26/2012 3:20:40 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/26/2012 11:27:59 AM, inferno wrote:

I think people have a weird thing about facebook. People don't WANT to talk about their core beliefs as much. They generally want to stray from politics, religion, science, or anything otherwise controversial in an attempt to be polite.

I actually tried to argue with someone who posted a video (made by a black dude) about why republican black people are better than democratic black people. Not republicans vs democrats but black republicans vs black democrats. He was basically saying that black democrats were lazy beggars and black republicans were harder workers and racism doesn't affect the lives of black people if they don't let it blah blah blah a bunch of other nonsense b.s. So I argued with the chick who posted it. She sent me a message that said, "I'm sorry I upset you. I will never post political things again." She didn't bother defending the video AT ALL. She just wanted to share a blatantly racist video and expected nobody to call her out on it. groan.

However, I did change someone's mind about Ron Paul on facebook. So that's awesome.

Oh you are such a fighter. Aren't you. (putting on boxing gloves)
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:30:50 PM

For my experiences EVERYBODY is open on FB about politics and such.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:35:35 PM
At 1/26/2012 3:30:50 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Okay. So youre a Facebook junkie. I knew there was one of ya lurking around here somewhere. =)
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:54:55 PM

I WISH. I have a handful of friends who talk openly about politics on facebook. Most people don't know what they're talking about anyway so it's probably for the best. I've got an old boyfriend (seriously, I was 15 at the time) who is always blabbing on about Obama's birth certificate. So, reading facebook posts is generally a source of cynicism about humanity for me. I'm unsubscribed to about half of my fb friends. Possibly more.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 3:59:36 PM
At 1/26/2012 3:54:55 PM, Oryus wrote:

I WISH. I have a handful of friends who talk openly about politics on facebook. Most people don't know what they're talking about anyway so it's probably for the best. I've got an old boyfriend (seriously, I was 15 at the time) who is always blabbing on about Obama's birth certificate. So, reading facebook posts is generally a source of cynicism about humanity for me. I'm unsubscribed to about half of my fb friends. Possibly more.

I have had my most heated debates on FB actually, sometimes so heated it results in deletions after. There was one person I deleted just the other day for comparing homosexuality to pedophilia and bestiality.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 4:09:04 PM
At 1/26/2012 3:59:36 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I have had my most heated debates on FB actually, sometimes so heated it results in deletions after. There was one person I deleted just the other day for comparing homosexuality to pedophilia and bestiality.

you really think its worth your time debating the average idiot on facebook?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 4:10:53 PM
At 1/26/2012 4:09:04 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 1/26/2012 3:59:36 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

you really think its worth your time debating the average idiot on facebook?

Meh, it gives me something to do.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 4:11:00 PM
Well, I think one reason people don't debate on FB is cause it has all your info and all your friends can see it.

Here, you have that privacy of no one knowing who you are.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
TheBammBoozlerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 4:23:43 PM
Well, I am on the side of facebook, but not far enough to be considered a 'junkee' (I think)

I guess it really depends on your friends as to what kind of experience you have. I seem to have a quite high percentage of intelligent conversations with my friend base. If i have people who are "not consistent" or "non existent" or are just spewing useless crap all of the time. Then i delete them.

As far as the animosity of this site vs facebook, would you want it any other way? this site serves a much different purpose than FB. animosity kind of kills the purpose of social media dont you think?

and the color scheme is relatively close to this one, so I don't understand your complaint.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 5:00:57 PM
At 1/26/2012 4:11:00 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Well, I think one reason people don't debate on FB is cause it has all your info and all your friends can see it.

Here, you have that privacy of no one knowing who you are.

If I argue too much, my friends start b!tching. It's really annoying. They'll bring something up at lunch, a debate will start, and then they start b!tching and basically telling me I'm wrong because they are getting their @sses handed to them. They've even told me to do research on subjects I've already done plenty of research on for other things because they think I'm wrong or want me to stop talking.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 5:01:48 PM
At 1/26/2012 3:28:16 PM, inferno wrote:
I guess it is safe to say Debate.org is much more interesting. Yep.

Without a doubt. People don't b!tch about debating or call you a redneck because you hunt and know a few amendments by heart.

blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 5:02:19 PM

In my experience, everyone is open until they're wrong. Then they start complaining.

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 5:12:31 PM
At 1/26/2012 5:02:19 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:

In my experience, everyone is open until they're wrong. Then they start complaining.

Facebook is for weaklings.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 5:50:40 PM
At 1/26/2012 5:12:31 PM, inferno wrote:

Facebook is for everybody*
This site is a people-filter. It's just a small segment of facebook users who would use this site as well.
:
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 5:51:43 PM
At 1/26/2012 5:50:40 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/26/2012 5:12:31 PM, inferno wrote:

Facebook is for everybody*
This site is a people-filter. It's just a small segment of facebook users who would use this site as well.

Yes I know.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 5:01:42 AM
It does not 'suck'. It serves a different purpose. I basically use it for virtual 'hanging out'. While debating may be fun, it is not necessarily fun when you do it with a friend. It just has a different purpose. Yes this site is better for debating, but that is just because it is a debating site. And not a social networking one. Just because you can't debate on it does not automatically ruins it.

Also, facebook is basically an extension of your real life. You won't discuss politics on facebook if you don't discuss it in real life.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 11:11:44 AM
I still think it sucks. Not just because people don't talk about things that actually matter. It's just another way for people to make this fake little persona and gain attention. And soon they're going to make the timeline layout mandatory. Ugh. I definitely might be deleting mine soon... for the second time.
:
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 10:22:54 PM
Why is is that the pages are always blank (save the title bar) when I am logged into Facebook these days? It never used to happen.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 11:20:40 PM
At 1/27/2012 5:01:42 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
It does not 'suck'. It serves a different purpose. I basically use it for virtual 'hanging out'. While debating may be fun, it is not necessarily fun when you do it with a friend. It just has a different purpose. Yes this site is better for debating, but that is just because it is a debating site. And not a social networking one. Just because you can't debate on it does not automatically ruins it.

Also, facebook is basically an extension of your real life. You won't discuss politics on facebook if you don't discuss it in real life.

It serves one purpose for me. Getting in contact with people for school. I don't need to know someone likes their best friend's mother's roomate's aunt's grandmother's picture from her trip to Venezuala. No this hasn't happened exactly, but close.

blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2012 11:21:52 PM
At 1/27/2012 11:11:44 AM, Oryus wrote:
I still think it sucks. Not just because people don't talk about things that actually matter. It's just another way for people to make this fake little persona and gain attention. And soon they're going to make the timeline layout mandatory. Ugh. I definitely might be deleting mine soon... for the second time.

What timeline layout?

gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 12:09:39 AM
At 1/27/2012 11:20:40 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 1/27/2012 5:01:42 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

It serves one purpose for me. Getting in contact with people for school. I don't need to know someone likes their best friend's mother's roomate's aunt's grandmother's picture from her trip to Venezuala. No this hasn't happened exactly, but close.

I simply hide annoying posts. I don't know why people discredit Facebook so much. I find people attention seeking in real life all the time, that's human nature.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 5:24:13 PM
This is like the third Facebook thread on this site.That's pathetic. I'm guessing you people weren't too popular in high school.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 7:02:59 PM
At 1/27/2012 11:21:52 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 1/27/2012 11:11:44 AM, Oryus wrote:

What timeline layout?

http://www.facebook.com...
:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 7:06:09 PM
At 1/28/2012 5:24:13 PM, MarquisX wrote:
This is like the third Facebook thread on this site.That's pathetic. I'm guessing you people weren't too popular in high school.

Right..... About 800 million people use facebook and about half of those users use facebook on a daily basis but those who dare to talk about facebook outside of facebook "weren't too popular in high school." Airtight logic.
: