Jump to topic:

Why do most cars......

Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 6:35:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why do most cars have speedometers that go up to at least 130 when you legally can't go that fast on any road?
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 7:16:18 PM
At 2/7/2012 6:35:53 PM, Yarely wrote:
Why do most cars have speedometers that go up to at least 130 when you legally can't go that fast on any road?

There are exceptions, such as when a horde of mutant zombies are chasing you.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 7:42:23 PM
At 2/7/2012 7:16:18 PM, phantom wrote:

Hmmm...I guess that would make sense
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:49:07 PM

Because people take risks and don't care about the speed laws and are willing to accept the consequences for speeding. So they can see how fast their car will go. You know, free will and all that stuff.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 10:27:15 AM
At 2/7/2012 7:42:23 PM, Yarely wrote:

I would think that the exceptions would be a little less extreme, like a hoard of mutant giraffes chasing you.
Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 1:32:30 PM
At 2/8/2012 10:27:15 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

I would think that the exceptions would be a little less extreme, like a hoard of mutant giraffes chasing you.

Or giant hamsters
-Emma Goldman
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 3:33:53 PM
At 2/8/2012 1:32:30 PM, Yarely wrote:

Or giant hamsters

Or worse wild hamsters, rabid ferrets, or lemurs on drugs. Now, that is deadly.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 3:43:44 PM
At 2/8/2012 3:33:53 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Or giant hamsters

I have a pet lemur who I give oxycodone to in an hourly basis because he gets headaches. Nothing bad happened so far I mean he's sleeping like a rock. You can hardly tell he's breathing
-Emma Goldman
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 3:50:43 PM
At 2/8/2012 3:43:44 PM, Yarely wrote:

Or giant hamsters

I have a pet lemur who I give oxycodone to in an hourly basis because he gets headaches. Nothing bad happened so far I mean he's sleeping like a rock. You can hardly tell he's breathing

Just don't give him Pot, or Coke.........unless you want you, and everyone in a 5 mile radius to DIE.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 3:56:39 PM
At 2/8/2012 3:50:43 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 2/8/2012 3:43:44 PM, Yarely wrote:

Or giant hamsters

Just don't give him Pot, or Coke.........unless you want you, and everyone in a 5 mile radius to DIE.

My lemur may be a little whacked out when he smokes pot, but he's still my little snugmuffin. He never kills anyone on purpose...
-Emma Goldman
Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 4:00:23 PM
At 2/8/2012 3:49:00 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
Do you guys not play the speeding game?

LOOL Cops made it possible for us to play that game so that they can fine us for it. They're just a bunch of arseholes
-Emma Goldman
smc_gamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 7:42:30 PM
Imagine if the peg was at 80 mph. How could you tell if you were going over?
"If good things lasted forever, would we appreciate how precious they are?"
-Hobbes
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 8:13:21 PM

Not all the same traffic laws apply across the country, much less across the world. However, if there were versions of a car made for a different country that were identical, but displayed a speedometer that went well above those obtained domestically, then I'm sure Americans would consider themselves short-changed.

Add to this the fact that if you don't have a speedometer that reaches into speeds that you most likely will never reach, then it places a lot of power in the hands of police officers, that can quote you going any speed above the reaches of your speedometer.

Then, of course, there's the fact that more powerful cars are partially distinguished by their capacity for speed. For some reason, although most people will never go above 100 mph, the typical Hundai makes it to like, 160, and a Porsche would be wella bove 250 mph. Why? Because, that gives you an idea how much more powerful a Porsche is than a Hundai.

Last, there's the fact that big numbers are just more attractive to look at. However, you will never reach the end of your speedometer -- just about every car within the mainstream market comes equipped with a governor that won't let you go faster than a cop car.