Jump to topic:

11 Facts about Environmental Racism

Wise_Soul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 5:54:03 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
# People of color make up the majority of those living in neighborhoods located within 1.8 miles of the nation's hazardous waste facilities.
# As a whole, racial disparities of color exist in 9 out of 10 Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regions.
# Existing laws and land-use controls have not been adequately applied in order to reduce health risks for those living in or near toxic "hot spots."
# A 2005 Associated Press study and 2007 United Church of Christ report both found that African Americans are 79% more likely than whites to live in neighborhoods where industrial pollution is suspected of causing the greatest health dangers.
# A Commission for Racial Justice study found that three of the five largest waste facilities dealing with hazardous materials in the United States are located in poor black communities. This study also showed that three out of every five African American and Latinos live in areas near toxic waste sites, as well as live in areas where the levels of poverty are well above the national average.
# Native Americans also experience environmental racism in their communities. Many Native Americans who live in communities where most people are below poverty level face some of the worst toxic pollution problems in the country.
# The Commission for Racial Justice contends that "approximately half of all Native Americans live in communities with an uncontrolled toxic waste site."
# Living near toxic waste facilities and living in low income housing affects almost every aspect of the community's lives. The food people eat, the water they drink, and the air they breathe are all affected by these facilities. Homes, schools, and the workplace are deemed unsafe because of environmental hazards in the buildings, which remain widely under cared for and outdated.
# Recent studies have shown that children of color who live in poor areas are more likely to attend schools filled with asbestos, live in homes with peeling led paint, and play in parks that are contaminated.
# These same children are nearly nine times more likely than economically advantaged children to be exposed to lead levels so high they can cause severe learning disabilities as well as other neurological disorders. Even more startling, 96 percent of African American children who live in inner cities have unsafe amounts of lead in their blood.
# As in previous budgets, the Bush Administration fiscal year 2008 budget recommended a 28.4 percent cut to the budget of the EPA's Office of Environmental Justice ($4.58 million was recommended, down from $6.34 million enacted in the fiscal year 2006 budget and fiscal year 07 continuing resolution).
FREE MOVIES, DEBATE, LOADS OF GAMES, OH, DID I FORGET To SAY LOADS OF FUN!

Check it out at http://powerfuldebates.ning.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 6:04:21 PM
12th fact: The existence of correlation does not prove causation, as would be necessary to declare "racism."
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 6:30:11 PM
Congratulations, you've read the brownfields and Native American files from a cx-camp (or something with a similar message). Not to steal Ragnar's thunder, but you have not proved any sort of environmental racism. You know why these people are in the horrendous condition? Because they are POOR. I mean really

Recent studies have shown that children of color who live in poor areas are more likely to attend schools filled with asbestos, live in homes with peeling led paint, and play in parks that are contaminated

Okay, poor people live in places that are cheap. The places are cheap BECAUSE of the horrendous conditions. The waste dumps make the land extremely cheap, cheap enough to where the impoverished can buy it. Unless the US is forcing them to be poor because they are of a certain race, there is no racism.

96 percent of African American children who live in inner cities have unsafe amounts of lead in their blood

Unless, say only 10% of white kids in the same area have the same problem, you have only proven living in the inner cities sucks.

Existing laws and land-use controls have not been adequately applied in order to reduce health risks for those living in or near toxic "hot spots."

Okay, so if this is true what is the cause? Could it be that it is too expensive? That it is not technologically feasible? That the owners of said hot spots are too greedy to care for anyone regardless of race? You really do not prove your claimed causation.

As far as Native Americans go, they are their own sovereign nation and have failed to clean themselves up. Not only that, but considering how Native Americans treat the land as sacred, they probably do not want US intervention anyway.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 6:34:45 PM
13. Water is racist. Three times as many black kids drown as white kids.

Therefore, government needs to pass regulation so that water drowns more white kids and less black kids, because that is clearly the best solution to every racial problem, right?
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 6:36:56 PM
At 6/11/2009 6:34:45 PM, mongoose wrote:

Therefore, government needs to pass regulation so that water drowns more white kids and less black kids, because that is clearly the best solution to every racial problem, right?

Just get rid of it altogether. Haven't you heard the horrors of dihydrogen monoxide?
http://www.dhmo.org...
Wise_Soul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 6:39:21 PM
At 6/11/2009 6:30:11 PM, SportsGuru wrote:
Congratulations, you've read the brownfields and Native American files from a cx-camp (or something with a similar message). Not to steal Ragnar's thunder, but you have not proved any sort of environmental racism. You know why these people are in the horrendous condition? Because they are POOR. I mean really

Recent studies have shown that children of color who live in poor areas are more likely to attend schools filled with asbestos, live in homes with peeling led paint, and play in parks that are contaminated

Okay, poor people live in places that are cheap. The places are cheap BECAUSE of the horrendous conditions. The waste dumps make the land extremely cheap, cheap enough to where the impoverished can buy it. Unless the US is forcing them to be poor because they are of a certain race, there is no racism.

96 percent of African American children who live in inner cities have unsafe amounts of lead in their blood

Unless, say only 10% of white kids in the same area have the same problem, you have only proven living in the inner cities sucks.

Existing laws and land-use controls have not been adequately applied in order to reduce health risks for those living in or near toxic "hot spots."

Okay, so if this is true what is the cause? Could it be that it is too expensive? That it is not technologically feasible? That the owners of said hot spots are too greedy to care for anyone regardless of race? You really do not prove your claimed causation.

As far as Native Americans go, they are their own sovereign nation and have failed to clean themselves up. Not only that, but considering how Native Americans treat the land as sacred, they probably do not want US intervention anyway.

Why are blacks poor? Should they be richer then us? I mean they built buildings, grew crops, and everything, and their living in the ghettos... Something doesn't add up, don't you agree?

Wise_Soul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 6:42:25 PM
At 6/11/2009 6:34:45 PM, mongoose wrote:

Well that's because parents not watching their babies close enough, right?

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 6:47:03 PM
At 6/11/2009 6:39:21 PM, Wise_Soul wrote:

Why are blacks poor? Should they be richer then us? I mean they built buildings, grew crops, and everything, and their living in the ghettos...
Compare productivity between the groups statistically, not anecdotally, if you're going to bother.

As for why blacks are poor? Depends on the black in question. Not all of them are :).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Wise_Soul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 6:50:12 PM
At 6/11/2009 6:47:03 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Why are blacks poor? Should they be richer then us? I mean they built buildings, grew crops, and everything, and their living in the ghettos...
Compare productivity between the groups statistically, not anecdotally, if you're going to bother.

As for why blacks are poor? Depends on the black in question. Not all of them are :).

True but the majority

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 6:52:19 PM
Here's the problem. Asking "Why is someone poor" is a nonsensical question. The correct question to ask is "Why is someone rich?" If you don't make enough riches, you are automatically poor. You don't need a reason to be poor. You need a reason not to be.
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 6:54:34 PM
Why are blacks poor? Should they be richer then us? I mean they built buildings, grew crops, and everything, and their living in the ghettos... Something doesn't add up, don't you agree?

1. There will always be a relative "poor". On an island of millionaires and billionaires, millionaires would be comparatively "poor".

2. Why "should they be richer than us"? Everything you have listed every other race has done. Why should they be higher up?

3. Keep in mind you are speaking in generalities. By no means are all African-Americans poor and Caucasians rich. I assure you despite each of our respective races, Mr. T has MUCH more money than I.

4. Though there is not one cause to really any problem, much blame can be put on the situation African-Americans were put in in history. When you have to fight for liberty and other basic human rights as a group, its going to take a while before ANYONE in said group is going to be economically prosperous, much less most. Economically speaking, Caucasians have had over 200 years head start.

5. Again, unless you can prove that the US government is actively trying to keep African-Americans poor, you have not proven any environmental racism.
Wise_Soul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 7:06:32 PM
At 6/11/2009 6:57:30 PM, Nags wrote:
Wise_Soul... so what's your solution to "Enviromental Racism"???

I am hoping, things will get better. I mean there are innocent blacks/hispanics/whites in jail lots of times. I see on the news blacks getting shot over stupid stuff by police. A lot of poor whites/blacks/Hispanics in ghettos. I mean I lived in the ghetto all my life since I was real little, and I am white. I am hoping Obama changes that, and help all of us stop from struggling. So stressful.

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 7:12:46 PM
At 6/11/2009 7:06:32 PM, Wise_Soul wrote:
At 6/11/2009 6:57:30 PM, Nags wrote:
Wise_Soul... so what's your solution to "Enviromental Racism"???

I am hoping, things will get better.
Your solution is hope?

I mean there are innocent blacks/hispanics/whites in jail lots of times.
Lots of times? "Are" present tense? Unless you're referring to the War on Drugs, I'm gonna need to see your warrant and registration, please, then step out of the car.

I see on the news blacks getting shot over stupid stuff by police.
You referring the the War on Drugs, or..?

A lot of poor whites/blacks/Hispanics in ghettos.
Cause those are affordable places to live for people with low productive capacity.

I mean I lived in the ghetto all my life since I was real little, and I am white. I am hoping Obama changes that
Doesn't work that way. It's your life, YOU have to change it. No messiah, earthly or divine, is going to save you-- mass redeemers are impotent and mad. The best any politician can do is keep the other politicians from stopping you, and that's iffy.

and help all of us stop from struggling.
The only way to stop from struggling is to become more competent, so the same amount of labour is put forth but it's now too good in it's results to be described as "struggling." Er, I better amend that. It's one of two ways. The other is death.

So stressful.
Stress is otherwise known as living.