Total Posts:69|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Racism in the United States

Wise_Soul
Posts: 13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 6:34:35 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Racism in the United States has been a major issue since the colonial era. Historically, the country has been dominated by a settler society of religiously and ethnically diverse Whites. The heaviest burdens of racism in the country have historically fallen upon Native Americans, Asian Americans, African Americans, Latin Americans, American Jews, Irish Americans and some other immigrant groups and their descendants. White Americans are by no means exempt from discrimination themselves, but it is less common.

Major racially structured institutions include slavery, Indian reservations, segregation, residential schools (for Native Americans), internment camps, and affirmative action. Racial stratification has occurred in employment, housing, education and government. Formal racial discrimination was largely banned in the mid-20th century, and it came to be perceived as socially unacceptable and/or morally repugnant as well, yet racial politics remain a major phenomenon.

Racist attitudes, or prejudice, are still held by moderate portions of the U.S population. Members of every American ethnic group have perceived racism in their dealings with other groups.

It all started in bible days..

Moses sister hated the fact he married an Ethiopian woman. God didn't like that so he cursed her skin deadly white, and Moses had to beg to change her skin back. So that tells you right there racism should have never came about. God doesn't like ugly. Satan in the bible was a jealous angel, when God created humans to be put on earth, and you saw what happened to him, he was cast into hell for eternity.

If you looked Satan in his face, what do you think what kind of being would he be?

He would be a lair, oppressor, cheater, advisory, back stabber, always starting trouble in some kind of way, sound like people we know?

Native Americans, who had lived on the North America continent for at least 15,000 years, had an enormously complex impact on American history and racial relations. During the colonial and independent periods, a long series of conflicts were waged, with the primary objective of obtaining resources of Native Americans. Through wars, massacres, forced displacement (such as in the Trail of Tears), and the imposition of treaties, land was taken and numerous hardships imposed. In 1540 CE, the first racial strife was with Spainard Hernando de Soto's expedition who enslaved and murdered many New World communities. In the early 1700s, the English had enslaved nearly 800 Choctaws.

After the creation of the United States, the idea of Indian removal gained momentum. However, some Native Americans choose to remain and avoided removal where they were subjected to racist institutions in their ancient homeland . The Choctaws in Mississippi described their situation in 1849, "we have had our habitations torn down and burned, our fences destroyed, cattle turned into our fields and we ourselves have been scourged, manacled, fettered and otherwise personally abused, until by such treatment some of our best men have died."

Joseph B. Cobb, who moved to Mississippi from Georgia, described Choctaws as having "no nobility or virtue at all, and in some respect he found blacks, especially native Africans, more interesting and admirable, the red man's superior in every way. The Choctaw and Chickasaw, the tribes he knew best, were beneath contempt, that is, even worse than black slaves."
FREE MOVIES, DEBATE, LOADS OF GAMES, OH, DID I FORGET To SAY LOADS OF FUN!

Check it out at http://powerfuldebates.ning.com...
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 6:39:54 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
That's nice. Why are you telling us this?

Asian Americans aren't really discriminated against: they usually earn more money than whites, and have a greater change of getting loans.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Wise_Soul
Posts: 13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 6:46:20 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/11/2009 6:39:54 PM, mongoose wrote:
That's nice. Why are you telling us this?

Asian Americans aren't really discriminated against: they usually earn more money than whites, and have a greater change of getting loans.

People want to ignore these facts, though.. Racism is a very big issue. Asian Americans have lighter skin too right? They are out doing white folks big time! LOL.. Why are African Americans having a much harder time in America?
FREE MOVIES, DEBATE, LOADS OF GAMES, OH, DID I FORGET To SAY LOADS OF FUN!

Check it out at http://powerfuldebates.ning.com...
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 7:14:13 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Because most of them are less intelligent than most whites. It's that simple.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 7:18:57 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/11/2009 7:14:13 PM, mongoose wrote:
Because most of them are less intelligent than most whites. It's that simple.

True statement.
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 7:23:15 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Wise_Soul, how about you update your profile so we can see your opinions without you posting them over and over?
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
lil_Oreo
Posts: 61
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 7:30:19 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/11/2009 7:14:13 PM, mongoose wrote:
Because most of them are less intelligent than most whites. It's that simple.

*racist comment* its not that they're less intelligent (because they're not) they (the ones tryin to be 'gangsta') are simply ignorant and stubborn. I see it in my school all the time. they really are smart people, but they'd rather spend their time trying to be "G" instead of making something of themselves.
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the world will know Peace.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 7:32:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/11/2009 7:30:19 PM, lil_Oreo wrote:
At 6/11/2009 7:14:13 PM, mongoose wrote:
Because most of them are less intelligent than most whites. It's that simple.

*racist comment* its not that they're less intelligent (because they're not) they (the ones tryin to be 'gangsta') are simply ignorant and stubborn. I see it in my school all the time. they really are smart people, but they'd rather spend their time trying to be "G" instead of making something of themselves.

Which makes them stupid. Which makes them not intelligent. Which makes most blacks less intelligent than most whites.

Btw... how is it racist? Its the truth. The truth hurts sometimes.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 7:33:56 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/11/2009 7:14:13 PM, mongoose wrote:
Because most of them are less intelligent than most whites. It's that simple.

And stop copying+pasting everything (its called plagiarism, which is illegal). At least give credit.
http://en.wikipedia.org...
Wise_Soul
Posts: 13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 7:34:36 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/11/2009 7:14:13 PM, mongoose wrote:
Because most of them are less intelligent than most whites. It's that simple.

That is false... where is your proof? I know there is more black folks smarter than whites sometimes... I have seen history proves it. The white man and woman sat on their butts while the blacks built buildings, raised our kids, while we lived stress free
FREE MOVIES, DEBATE, LOADS OF GAMES, OH, DID I FORGET To SAY LOADS OF FUN!

Check it out at http://powerfuldebates.ning.com...
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 7:37:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
"*racist comment* its not that they're less intelligent (because they're not) they (the ones tryin to be 'gangsta') are simply ignorant and stubborn. I see it in my school all the time. they really are smart people, but they'd rather spend their time trying to be "G" instead of making something of themselves."

Um... most black people have a tendency to be less intelligent than whites. If they are wasting time trying to be 'gangsta', that just proves once again a lack of intellect. Reasonable and intelligent people realize the negative effects of turning 'gangsta.' If they would rather spend time by trying to be 'gangsta' insteaad of making something of themselves, then obviously that shows they make unreasonable and unintelligent decisions, hence a general application of unintelligence to the race in general. However, I would just like to say I am not racist at all. This is my opinion. I just don't like when people like Lil_Oreo make a comment that is fallacious and just down right ignorant in itself.
Wise_Soul
Posts: 13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 7:41:14 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/11/2009 7:33:56 PM, Nags wrote:
At 6/11/2009 7:14:13 PM, mongoose wrote:
Because most of them are less intelligent than most whites. It's that simple.

And stop copying+pasting everything (its called plagiarism, which is illegal). At least give credit.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Yeah some of it but not all, a lot of it is in my own words.
FREE MOVIES, DEBATE, LOADS OF GAMES, OH, DID I FORGET To SAY LOADS OF FUN!

Check it out at http://powerfuldebates.ning.com...
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 7:41:34 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I was actually looking on an internet page where they display pictures of valedictorians and salutatorians in South Florida. About half of them were of Asian descent, and the other half were Caucasian. I just thought it was pretty ironic, looking at this forum topic.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 7:42:32 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Btw, why did you open three threads just to promote fallacious use of statistics Wise?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 7:45:24 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/11/2009 7:33:56 PM, Nags wrote:
At 6/11/2009 7:14:13 PM, mongoose wrote:
Because most of them are less intelligent than most whites. It's that simple.

And stop copying+pasting everything (its called plagiarism, which is illegal). At least give credit.
http://en.wikipedia.org...
Sorry... that reply was supposed to be to this post:
"Wise_Soul, how about you update your profile so we can see your opinions without you posting them over and over?"
__________

At 6/11/2009 7:34:36 PM, Wise_Soul wrote:
At 6/11/2009 7:14:13 PM, mongoose wrote:
Because most of them are less intelligent than most whites. It's that simple.

That is false... where is your proof? I know there is more black folks smarter than whites sometimes... I have seen history proves it. The white man and woman sat on their butts while the blacks built buildings, raised our kids, while we lived stress free
-Whites sat on their butts because they were more dominant/intelligent/advanced (if you're talking about slavery).

"...while the blacks built buildings..."
-There were definetely more white construction workers. Regardless, the whites were the architects/engineers.

"...raised our kids..."
-Umm... what?
Logical-Master
Posts: 2,538
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 7:46:37 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
While you're at it: Explain to me why most Caucasian individuals are more intelligent than african american individuals based on that definition. :D
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 8:14:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
African-Americans have a lesser average income to white Americans.

Somehow, this means that when you have an African Amerian and a white American of completely equal qualifications, the African American deserves the job.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 9:07:23 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
lol LM. You yourself seem to be one of the most educated and intelligent people on this site. I believe what we imply is referring just to a general people. Obviously there are highly intelligent black people. Intelligence can be applied to different areas and has differing variations. I have intelligence in school. LM has intelligence in debating. Mongeese has intelligence in using semantical arguments. However, blacks are still discriminated against due to the general stereotype of being undereducated and not caring about future occupations or responsibilites. I wonder what does LM consider intelligence to be?
lil_Oreo
Posts: 61
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 9:29:52 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/11/2009 7:37:31 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Um... most black people have a tendency to be less intelligent than whites. If they are wasting time trying to be 'gangsta', that just proves once again a lack of intellect. Reasonable and intelligent people realize the negative effects of turning 'gangsta.' If they would rather spend time by trying to be 'gangsta' insteaad of making something of themselves, then obviously that shows they make unreasonable and unintelligent decisions, hence a general application of unintelligence to the race in general. However, I would just like to say I am not racist at all. This is my opinion. I just don't like when people like Lil_Oreo make a comment that is fallacious and just down right ignorant in itself.

its not that they're less intelligent, because they are. they're simply refusing to use their it. there is a difference in being stupid, and making stupid decisions.
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the world will know Peace.
Lexicaholic
Posts: 526
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 9:41:02 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Racism, if by racism you mean less a sense of racial superiority in ideology and more a sense of racial superiority as inferred from expression, does exist in the US, but it's wrong to attribute racism solely to Caucasians. I've met quite a few Asians and Latinos who dislike people of African, Jewish or Arabic descent, and will go to incredible lengths to denigrate them when they believe they can get away with it. This includes excluding them from social groups, with the usual unfortunate results regarding likelihood of employment by such folks. I've also met some wise enough to qualify any prejudice with "this is just what I've noticed so far" and to provide examples. These people usually don't have the casual disregard for others that leads to automatic discrimination, as they are still willing to give people a chance regardless of their ethnicity, race, or cultural background.

African-Americans specifically likely have a harder time than other groups for a variety of reasons: their culture has been one of (admittedly deserved) victimology, with undertones of anger that express itself as a disavowal of the value of all things "white America," often including education. Notably, I have observed that this is more pronounced in cities than in rural areas, where I have actually encountered less racial and cultural tension with regards to perceptions of "black vs white" culture, with the exception of rural Texas. That being said, I think that this undercurrent is practically a non-issue now ... a throwback mentality like white supremacy. One of the smartest people I ever met was a black woman. I'm sure more people like her are on the way.

Additionally, black people have had to struggle a great deal, and in the process of that struggle they developed hyper-masculinized and feminized concepts of male and female (men must be stoic, honor matters/ women must be humble, obedience matters). As with all minority groups, this was done to show that members of the minority group could be more upstanding members of society than members of the majority group. At the time of the civil rights movement, 'upstanding' included the above social qualifications, as well as a devotion to faith and community. Those concepts became the standard for positive cultural valuation. Here's an article that popped up as a result of a Google search that examines some of the issues there (although its overview is good, its subject matter scope is sadly limited): http://www.usc.edu...

With all of this out of the way ... only truly idiotic people would actually value a person's color/ethnicity/culture over that person's actions and contributions in any meaningful or gainful endeavor. Any analysis of racism should show how consideration for such non-factors were used to adversely value a person's contributions relative to the value those contributions should be accorded. The real issue in determining the force of racism is understanding valuation.
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 1:15:57 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I've often wondered why Jews are discriminated against. It clearly has nothing to do with the colour of their skin - Hebrew Jews are either white or of Mediterranean appearance and the prejudice started back in Biblical times amongst their neighbours in the Middle East.

The persecution of Jews has continued from then right through history, notably the York Massacre and the Holocaust, to the anti-Semitism of today.

Why have Jews suffered when other ancient peoples such as the Italians or the Greeks or the Celts have not?

Jews, rightly, make a big issue about anti-Semitism and are always ready to highlight it in the media, but I have never heard a Jew propose an explanation for it.

Is it possible that, like gypsies, there might be something in their culture or lifestyle that has always provoked hatred against them?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 9:19:55 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Yeah. They are on the whole highly productive, and the unproductive resent that just like they resent rich people of nonspecific race. A few stray rich people are anti-semitic too, but they don't account for the bulk.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 9:44:04 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Definitions of racism: http://www.google.co.uk...

# the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races

# Racism, by its simplest definition, is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

# The belief that each race has distinct and intrinsic attributes; The belief that one race is superior to all others; Prejudice or discrimination ...

# racist - based on racial intolerance; "racist remarks"
# racist - discriminatory especially on the basis of race or religion

# racist - An advocate of racism; Of, relating to, or advocating racism

# the belief that one's own race is superior to another. This belief is based on the erroneous assumption that physical attributes determine the social behavior and intelligence of a group.

# An ideology based on the idea that humans can be separated into distinct racial groups and that these groups can be ranked on a hierarchy of intelligence, ability, morality etc.
# is a manifestation of stereotypical attitudes towards members of a certain race or ethnic group. Racism is a form of discrimination.

Does racism exist in the united states?
Of course, just look at this thread:

mongoose
Posted: 14 hours ago
"Because most of them are less intelligent than most whites. It's that simple."

Nags:
"Which makes them stupid. Which makes them not intelligent. Which makes most :blacks less intelligent than most whites.
Btw... how is it racist?"
(apparently not the sharpest tool in the box yourself, if you really can't see why)

studentathletechristian8:
"Um... most black people have a tendency to be less intelligent than whites."

Don't like labelling people myself so won't call you racists but to say one race is more intelligent than another is definitely a racist statement.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 10:38:04 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
You're stretching a little, they didn't say one race is smarter than another.Races don't have intelligence, individuals do. They said the average intelligence among individuals of that race statistically differs.

Whether that is true depends on what measurements they are referencing. Racism would require using those statistics in the judgment of every individual who has that particular race, presumably.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 10:44:59 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
That is, a racist would have to use those statistics by looking at an individual black person and expecting them to be unintelligent prior to individual evidence. Racism requires collectivism-- i.e., that the generalization become a stereotype, applied to the case as though it were a coherent whole rather than an ascribed grouping of individuals which deviate on a regular basis from the statistical average.

Thus, "On average, x race has less intelligent individuals than y race," is not racism, though it may or may not be justified depending on how good the measurement is.

Whereas "I would expect a member of x race to be less intelligent than a member of y race," (Or "I would expect that a wise Latina would make a better decision than a wise White," hehe) is :)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 11:50:36 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
It's demography. More blacks live in the south compared to whites, while more whites live in the north compared to blacks. If you compare people to people who lived in the same areas, race doesn't really matter. It's just about the average, and the majority.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Conor
Posts: 24
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 1:50:46 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/11/2009 7:14:13 PM, mongoose wrote:
Because most of them are less intelligent than most whites. It's that simple.

That actually comes off as very racist. When you say intelligent you imply some kind of naturally occurring inferiority to whites that can't be cured. You should say "most African Americans are less educated than most whites."
You guys are the "ignorant" ones; consider the implications of your language.

Also, most of you are coming from these little small towns where you population demographics of 99% white and 1% half-white or whatever. Then you self-righteous declare, "Oh it's the truth, it's sad, I know, I've been there, but black people are just less intelligent"(cough cough Nags).

You're not only incorrectly using the term intelligence, but you, as small town Americans, have no experience or support to back up your claims. Just because you have statistics doesn't mean you can abuse the English language, and in the future no one will turn a blind eye your blatant racism because of your obvious naïveté.
Conor
Posts: 24
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 1:51:55 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/12/2009 1:50:46 PM, Conor wrote:
At 6/11/2009 7:14:13 PM, mongoose wrote:
Because most of them are less intelligent than most whites. It's that simple.

That actually comes off as very racist. When you say intelligent you imply some kind of naturally occurring inferiority to whites that can't be cured. You should say "most African Americans are less educated than most whites."
You guys are the "ignorant" ones; consider the implications of your language.

Also, most of you are coming from these little small towns where you population demographics of 99% white and 1% half-white or whatever. Then you self-righteous declare, "Oh it's the truth, it's sad, I know, I've been there, but black people are just less intelligent"(cough cough Nags).

You're not only incorrectly using the term intelligence, but you, as small town Americans, have no experience or support to back up your claims. Just because you have statistics doesn't mean you can abuse the English language, and in the future no one will turn a blind eye your blatant racism because of your obvious naïveté.

Sorry, that should be: "you have population demographics of" not "you population demographics of..."
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 2:22:33 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Intelligence is the opposite of nature, Conor. Above a certain threshold, intelligence is in great part self-made-- one does not merely become more "educated," learn more facts, one practices one's faculties until they become capable of accepting more education, thinking up more solutions to more problems, and so forth.

Think of a WoW character, to use a simple analogy. It doesn't just get more attacks as it levels up. It gets higher stats to use those attacks with.
Granted, a WoW character's development is much more easily quantifiable than that of an individual mind. That doesn't mean that the use of the term intelligence here has the implications you describe.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.