Jump to topic:

What culture are you?

Wise_Soul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 6:48:54 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I am Jewish, German, Irish, Black Foot Indian, and probably more on my dads side...
FREE MOVIES, DEBATE, LOADS OF GAMES, OH, DID I FORGET To SAY LOADS OF FUN!

Check it out at http://powerfuldebates.ning.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 6:54:33 PM
That doesn't tell us a whole lot about your culture. It tells us which genetic patterns you've inherited.

I've got Greek, German, Scandinavian, English, among other genetic strands from Europe. But I have very little culturally in common with most Europeans.

Or most people who, to use the colloquial phrase, "have a life," for that matter.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Wise_Soul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 7:10:40 PM
At 6/11/2009 6:54:33 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
That doesn't tell us a whole lot about your culture. It tells us which genetic patterns you've inherited.

I've got Greek, German, Scandinavian, English, among other genetic strands from Europe. But I have very little culturally in common with most Europeans.

Or most people who, to use the colloquial phrase, "have a life," for that matter.

Do you see what I am doing? I guess not. I am letting everyone see beyond skin color in the whole world. I know black folks that have some of the same thing that I have, even though their skin was darker. That's my point.
FREE MOVIES, DEBATE, LOADS OF GAMES, OH, DID I FORGET To SAY LOADS OF FUN!

Check it out at http://powerfuldebates.ning.com...
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 7:12:38 PM
Of course: Let's look beyond race to see exact inheritance of genetics, so that we can discriminate more specifically against a wider variety of cultures! Perfect!
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 7:14:32 PM
Second, Mongoose.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2009 7:16:31 PM
At 6/11/2009 7:10:40 PM, Wise_Soul wrote:

Do you see what I am doing? I guess not. I am letting everyone see beyond skin color in the whole world. I know black folks that have some of the same thing that I have, even though their skin was darker. That's my point.

Hable en el inglés apropiado por favor. No le entiendo.
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 6:47:30 AM
But I have very little culturally in common with most Europeans.

Oh how droll
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
brycef
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 10:48:14 AM

There's a lot of discrimination across cultures - the Russian neo-nazis go after immigrants from central Asia and eastern Europe, despite all being "white." We should fight prejudices across all lines, not just by skin pigmentation.

Now that that's out of the way, I'm genetically Lithuanian, French, and Welsh, but also have a little Belarusian, Russian, English, Irish and Scottish in me. ;p

Culturally, I'm from middle America (Colorado), and I grew up with comic books, post-punk, centre-left politics, and a fondness for going to the movies. My favorite food may be salmon sashimi. I love the poets Paul Verlaine and Charles Bukowski, but as a teenager I was a Byron fan.
BigMac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 5:50:57 PM
wow... im somewhere btw 75 and 90% Irish [my lastname begins with "O'S"...]while i live in the great melting pot.((i think my great grandparents were straight off-the-boat on both sides...))

Thirded Mongoose
I'm back.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 6:32:01 PM
I'm half Eskimo, a third Chinese, twelve-nineteenths Scottish, two-halfs Xiertian, and nine-sixths Ancient Byzantine.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
resolutionsmasher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 8:03:45 PM

You're being redundent. Think about it. Anybody here is using the internet. Since nobody here knows what race anybody else is (or cares for that matter) there is no need to push for racial acceptance. It's like preachin' to the choir.
In the relationship between Obama and the rest of the U.S..... I think the U.S. is getting the short end of the hockey stick.
resolutionsmasher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 8:04:44 PM
by the way, I'm german, cherokee, swiss, norse (viking), and austrian.
In the relationship between Obama and the rest of the U.S..... I think the U.S. is getting the short end of the hockey stick.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 8:04:55 PM
Bad analogy. More like preaching when you're already in heaven.
resolutionsmasher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2009 8:10:55 PM
pardon my unsufficiant analogy your grace
your's trumps mine mightily
(snicker...snicker)
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2009 3:14:45 AM
As far as I can trace back all my ancestors were English.

However, my auntie, who lives in Florida, researched the family tree further back and discovered that we are related to the Norwegian Royal Family - which would explain why I instinctively expect people to wait upon me morning, noon and night!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2009 7:39:45 AM
I am Bohemian.

My great great great grandparents immigrated from the area that is now the Czech Republic in the mid 1800's. I'm 100% sure because we actually have their immigration documents. Our last name wasn't changed in the process either, even though it's very strange for the US, it's still used in the Czech Republic today.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2009 7:46:33 AM
I'm most likely a mix of Ukranian/eastern Slav and English heritage.

I say most likely because I'm not quite sure what my father's side has on it, but the last name is English. My mother is adopted and her birth mother is Ukranian, and I generally have the features of a Slav. My mother's adopted family is English, Scottish, Irish, Icelandic, and somewhere in there they're related to Mary, Queen of Scots.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2009 7:51:44 PM
There's a bad kind?
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2009 8:28:44 PM
At 6/14/2009 7:51:44 PM, mongoose wrote:
There's a bad kind?

I'm the bad kind.

Actually, I think that he means the Northern Irish.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Conor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2009 10:19:04 AM
At 6/14/2009 8:28:44 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 6/14/2009 7:51:44 PM, mongoose wrote:
There's a bad kind?

I'm the bad kind.

Actually, I think that he means the Northern Irish.

Yeah, basically.
You're a northern Irish protestant? GET 'EM!
Actually some northern Irish are good: The Catholic IRA ones.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2009 10:42:38 AM
Settle down there Conor, the catholic republicans (nothing to do with US Republicans) may be the good guys on the whole; the IRA, not so much.

Speaking as someone who's city was bombed by them. Don't get me wrong, I despise loyalist paramilitaries more.

My step-dad is from NI and has a protestant background but a humanist and republican viewpoint, he and my mum live in ROI.

While I'm here, I'm mostly English, Scottish and possibly Jewish.
My daughter is Indian, Caribbean, Hispanic and French as well as what I am.

Culturally, I am hip-hop, though I expect people will misinterpret what I mean by that completely.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2009 11:01:21 AM
*misinterprets just to be annoying* You drink things made with hops till your hips sway?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2009 11:19:32 AM
The word "culture" should not appear anywhere in this forum topic...

Anyway, I'm 100% Italian-American.

(First generation on my Dad's side.)
President of DDO
Conor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2009 11:56:26 AM
At 6/15/2009 10:42:38 AM, feverish wrote:
Settle down there Conor, the catholic republicans (nothing to do with US Republicans) may be the good guys on the whole; the IRA, not so much.

Speaking as someone who's city was bombed by them. Don't get me wrong, I despise loyalist paramilitaries more.

My step-dad is from NI and has a protestant background but a humanist and republican viewpoint, he and my mum live in ROI.

While I'm here, I'm mostly English, Scottish and possibly Jewish.
My daughter is Indian, Caribbean, Hispanic and French as well as what I am.

Culturally, I am hip-hop, though I expect people will misinterpret what I mean by that completely.

I'm sorry to have offended you. I understand that the IRA (esp. the Provos) have done some terrible things; I guess my hatred for groups like the UVC and Ian Paisley's fundamentalist unionists has made me a nationalist sympathizer.

Erin go bragh?
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2009 2:36:56 PM
@ Ragnar: lulz

@ L werd: Yes, everyones talking about nationality and race rather than culture.

@ Conor: No worries mate, not massively offended, just wanted to set the record straight, the IRA may be fighting on the side of justice but they have gone about it in some horrific and inexcusable ways.

@ wj: No it's the Irish Republican Army, terrorists.
Conor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2009 5:20:48 PM
At 6/15/2009 2:36:56 PM, feverish wrote:
@ Ragnar: lulz

@ L werd: Yes, everyones talking about nationality and race rather than culture.

@ Conor: No worries mate, not massively offended, just wanted to set the record straight, the IRA may be fighting on the side of justice but they have gone about it in some horrific and inexcusable ways.

@ wj: No it's the Irish Republican Army, terrorists.

They're not terrorists according to the US.
Only to the UK. Fatties.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2009 5:53:56 PM
Wrong:

http://www.cdi.org...
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2009 4:49:43 AM
Thanks Ragnar, I love it when we actually agree on stuff.

Conor, the republicans in general are the good guys and I think NI should be part of ROI myself but the IRA are just as much scum as the UDA the UVF and LVF.

Wow how many acronyms can I get in one sentence? Probably a whole lot more if I tried.

Also, I bet I'm skinnier than you chubs.
Peace!