Jump to topic:

Strategy games!?

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 10:37:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
So recently I haven't been into video games very much, but then I played battle for middle earth II again and remembered what a great game it is. I want to get into strategy games again (for PC), so does anyone know of any particularly good games?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 2:31:45 PM
At 2/9/2012 10:40:13 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
Civilisation. Once you start playing it, you won't stop for a year.

Which number? I looked up the latest (5), on amazon and it had horrible ratings.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:00:17 PM
Yes. Real-time strategy, modern day combat: Company of Heroes, World in Conflict. The former is WWII era, the latter is Cold War era. They are the best of their genre.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:03:35 PM
Halo Wars is a good one(I know I know, but it is!)

Rise of Nations, Age of Mythology, and what you said Battle for Middle Earth II, are awesome.

I prefer ones where the artillery are good against infantry, like BFMEII.

Oh, and a trick for BFMEII, if you Mordor, is to have two of their catapults, with one on launching heads, and the other the fireball, target the same spot. Just have them bombard it, and it will make a perpetual fire. add more catapults for more area of effect.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 5:18:34 PM
@Oberher yes I've done that! Last time I played I was mordor and I probably built about 20 catapults and a few ships and made all of them bombard the area the enemy had to go through with fireballs. I was playing against two brutal elves but not many people got past.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 7:08:32 PM
NO ALL OF YOU SHUT UP.

The BEST RTS Games is not f*cking stupid halo wars or age of empires. Halo wars is just playing halo from an eagle's perspective and AOE is....mediocre.

Civilization IV, and V is COMPLETE CRAP. Its turn based and horrible.

The REAL strategy games are as follows.
5. Battlestations: Pacific. This game revolves around WWII and is a great mix between air combat and rts. Its submarine missions are a tad boring, and the missions take a while to complete.

4. Rise of Legends. A spin off of the popular Rise of Nations, rise of legends is fictional and more combat centered, with resources being gold and rocks. Thats it. Its OK, but I recommend playing Rise of Nations First

3. Ruse. Another WWII game, is similar to battlestations pacific until its one key element: tricks and traps. You can set up wooden tanks, doll soldiers, etc to fool the enemy.

2. Tom clancy's End War. Possibly the best military strategy game to date. You can follow your troops (you can customize your battalion :)) like on a chess board (satellite view) or down in the weeds (infantry view). The voice commands system is brilliant, and you feel like a boss giving out orders. Strategy is lessened due to the limited unit types, but that is nothing compared to the rush you get when faced with these challenges.

1. Rise of Nations. Rise of Nations is the truest most pure strategy game. Ever. You start out as a tribal civilization and work your way up to advanced civilization. You research important technologies, manage resources, expand cities, and manage armies against your opponents. This game online is extremely competitive and not for the feint of heart. A truly brilliant masterpiece.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 6:51:25 AM
At 2/9/2012 5:18:34 PM, phantom wrote:
@Oberher yes I've done that! Last time I played I was mordor and I probably built about 20 catapults and a few ships and made all of them bombard the area the enemy had to go through with fireballs. I was playing against two brutal elves but not many people got past.

I do that on the bridge at helms deep alot.

Then, you just put my Lvl 10 custom hero on the other end, with archers on the walls. XD

Complete ownage.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 8:53:59 AM
At 2/9/2012 7:08:32 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
NO ALL OF YOU SHUT UP.

The BEST RTS Games is not f*cking stupid halo wars or age of empires. Halo wars is just playing halo from an eagle's perspective

SOOOO??!?!?!? Halo is the best Sci-Fi Shooter of all time! It eats CoD up and spits it out cause the horribleness! I admit, the game as a RTS goes is not the best, but it does a good job for being a console RTS, which normally suck.

and AOE is....mediocre.

5. Battlestations: Pacific. This game revolves around WWII and is a great mix between air combat and rts. Its submarine missions are a tad boring, and the missions take a while to complete.

4. Rise of Legends. A spin off of the popular Rise of Nations, rise of legends is fictional and more combat centered, with resources being gold and rocks. Thats it. Its OK, but I recommend playing Rise of Nations First

3. Ruse. Another WWII game, is similar to battlestations pacific until its one key element: tricks and traps. You can set up wooden tanks, doll soldiers, etc to fool the enemy.

2. Tom clancy's End War. Possibly the best military strategy game to date. You can follow your troops (you can customize your battalion :)) like on a chess board (satellite view) or down in the weeds (infantry view). The voice commands system is brilliant, and you feel like a boss giving out orders. Strategy is lessened due to the limited unit types, but that is nothing compared to the rush you get when faced with these challenges.

1. Rise of Nations. Rise of Nations is the truest most pure strategy game. Ever. You start out as a tribal civilization and work your way up to advanced civilization. You research important technologies, manage resources, expand cities, and manage armies against your opponents. This game online is extremely competitive and not for the feint of heart. A truly brilliant masterpiece.

I disagreed with this last one. It's fun, BUT my gripes with it is 1. No walls. 2. To much rock, paper, scissors action between artillery, buildings, infantry, and vehicles/Horses.

Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 12:51:29 PM
At 2/9/2012 10:37:39 AM, phantom wrote:
So recently I haven't been into video games very much, but then I played battle for middle earth II again and remembered what a great game it is. I want to get into strategy games again (for PC), so does anyone know of any particularly good games?

If you want some free browser strategy games, I reccomend looking up some tower defence games. The Protector and Bloons serieses are both pretty good, as well as arfare 1917 and Warfare 1943. All can be found on Kongregate.com along with others.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 10:01:16 PM
Rise of Nations, Sins of a Solar Empire, the Total War Franchise, Command and Conquer,

Definitely Command and Conquer the First Decade (about the first 10 games of the franchise). Also KKND (Krush, Kill, and Destroy) is an old game (1998) but is still fun to play on Saturday mornings with a bowl of cereal at the same time (personal experience).
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 11:31:03 PM
At 2/10/2012 8:53:59 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 2/9/2012 7:08:32 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
NO ALL OF YOU SHUT UP.

The BEST RTS Games is not f*cking stupid halo wars or age of empires. Halo wars is just playing halo from an eagle's perspective

SOOOO??!?!?!? Halo is the best Sci-Fi Shooter of all time! It eats CoD up and spits it out cause the horribleness! I admit, the game as a RTS goes is not the best, but it does a good job for being a console RTS, which normally suck.

Sure, Halo as an FPS is great. Halo as an RTS is mediocre.

and AOE is....mediocre.

I disagreed with this last one. It's fun, BUT my gripes with it is 1. No walls. 2. To much rock, paper, scissors action between artillery, buildings, infantry, and vehicles/Horses.

It has no rock paper scissors whatsoever. There are so many different types of units that you have to build well rounded armies to get anywhere.
smc_gamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 9:35:43 AM
I love the Command and Conquer series - especially C&C3. It's simple, but quite fun. It's a bit old, but should run well on more modern computers on medium graphics.
"If good things lasted forever, would we appreciate how precious they are?"
-Hobbes
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 8:52:57 PM
Everyone's going on about RTS's and not one mention of Starcraft 2?
"Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine." - ConservativePolitico, the guy that accused me of being close-minded.

"We didn't start slavery, they themselves started it. When the white man first got to Africa they had already enslaved themselves, they just capitalized on an opportunity." - ConservativePolitico

"The Bible to me is a history book and requires very little faith to believe in." - ConservativePolitico
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 8:57:06 PM
At 2/9/2012 2:31:45 PM, phantom wrote:

Which number? I looked up the latest (5), on amazon and it had horrible ratings.

I liked Civ 5. Check the parameters of your computer--along with the space that you currently have--because the game takes up a lot of memory. When you do have it, however, you will enjoy it. I also liked 3 and 4.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 7:44:08 AM
At 2/11/2012 8:52:57 PM, Physik wrote:
Everyone's going on about RTS's and not one mention of Starcraft 2?

Well, pfft, thats just taken for granted that he knows about that.

mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 9:47:35 AM
Red Alert 2
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 8:57:19 PM
Am I the only one who actually likes Civ V? Sure, it got rid of religion and has not-so-competent AI, it made a lot of improvements from IV.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 10:23:46 PM
I love the Starcraft series. I judge game quality on how hard it is for me to play and I am absolutely terrible at Starcraft.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 8:46:11 PM
Just bought rise of nations.

At 2/10/2012 6:51:25 AM, OberHerr wrote:

Then, you just put my Lvl 10 custom hero on the other end, with archers on the walls. XD

Complete ownage.

I do it on fortress's as well, but frankly I find those maps boring as they're way to easy.

At 2/10/2012 12:51:29 PM, Veridas wrote:

If you want some free browser strategy games, I reccomend looking up some tower defence games. The Protector and Bloons serieses are both pretty good, as well as arfare 1917 and Warfare 1943. All can be found on Kongregate.com along with others.

I have done a number of those type of games. They're fun but nothing beats the battle for middle earth/red alert type games.

At 2/11/2012 8:57:06 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

I liked Civ 5. Check the parameters of your computer--along with the space that you currently have--because the game takes up a lot of memory. When you do have it, however, you will enjoy it. I also liked 3 and 4.

I'd be using my laptop so I probably won't buy it if it takes up allot of memory.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 11:22:21 PM
At 2/14/2012 8:46:11 PM, phantom wrote:

Complete ownage.

I do it on fortress's as well, but frankly I find those maps boring as they're way to easy.

I have done a number of those type of games. They're fun but nothing beats the battle for middle earth/red alert type games.

I'd be using my laptop so I probably won't buy it if it takes up allot of memory.

can I play against you online?
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 11:26:09 PM
At 2/14/2012 11:22:21 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 2/14/2012 8:46:11 PM, phantom wrote:

Complete ownage.

can I play against you online?

Sounds great. I bought it off amazon though so it won't arrive until a few days.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 5:33:55 PM
Total war series
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 7:25:48 PM
At 2/16/2012 5:33:55 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Total war series

Heard thats a good series sadly *sigh* my computer would shoot itself if I tried to play one of those games on it.

kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 7:51:43 AM
You should try the Fire Emblem Series. Its really good. I have played them all and it requires a lot of hard thinking.
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
Oldfrith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 9:20:41 PM

4 with expansions
You know how people, when they don't know the meaning of a word, automatically think it's appropriate?
Well, How about this one:
Schloop-Schloop-Ping-a-Pang-bong
Which means:
To play a vigorous game of monopoly
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 10:15:34 PM
At 2/17/2012 7:51:43 AM, kyro90 wrote:
You should try the Fire Emblem Series. Its really good. I have played them all and it requires a lot of hard thinking.

And, yet....your capable of playing them? (Joking :D)

PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 10:20:11 PM
At 2/9/2012 10:37:39 AM, phantom wrote:

Why would you want to get into it for me?