Jump to topic:

Mock Trial

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 10:47:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Just curious, does anyone here take mock trial?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 10:50:09 PM
I will in high school, and will do mock trials in my history class soon.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 10:52:34 PM
There's some class in my high school that does it. Forgot what it was called, though. Probably Law, or governmental justice.

I won't be joining it, though.
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 10:54:37 PM
I used to be in Mock Trial, but I was forced to quit.
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
jm_notguilty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 12:13:01 PM
Unfortunately for my school, no. It would be awesome though.

I've been thinking of doing a mock trial debate here like in the Izbo case, probably a Mock-Retrial of Casey Anthony? Still need to figure out the format.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 1:57:47 PM
I did mock trial this year, and it was pretty awesome. You get a fake case and then you have to argue as the prosecution or defense. The best part is when you say objection to a lawyers questions, and the judge sustains or overrules it.

I'm just curious how its done in other states, and how it compares to an actual debate
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 1:59:54 PM
I signed up for mock trial just last week but I haven't done it yet. Mock trial definitely looks interesting.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 6:03:19 PM
At 2/18/2012 10:47:06 PM, 000ike wrote:

Yeah, I'm a freshmen and I took it this year. We had our competition a couple weeks back, but sadly we didn't make it to state.

Did you have to do a case that concerned someone named Philip Newton?
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 6:03:54 PM
At 2/18/2012 10:54:37 PM, kyro90 wrote:
I used to be in Mock Trial, but I was forced to quit.

No you weren't. You did it of your own free will, lol.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 6:30:57 PM
At 2/19/2012 6:03:19 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

Yeah, I'm a freshmen and I took it this year. We had our competition a couple weeks back, but sadly we didn't make it to state.

no, mine was a case about a Sidney Willson, and we didn't make it to state either, because our defense team lost their trial -_____-
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 6:54:11 PM
At 2/19/2012 6:30:57 PM, 000ike wrote:

no, mine was a case about a Sidney Willson, and we didn't make it to state either, because our defense team lost their trial -_____-

How does the competition work out for you guys? In other words, do you have a round 1, break, round 2, then they announce the teams that advance to the finals? That's pretty much how it worked for us :P
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 7:06:39 PM
At 2/19/2012 6:54:11 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

How does the competition work out for you guys? In other words, do you have a round 1, break, round 2, then they announce the teams that advance to the finals? That's pretty much how it worked for us :P

Each school has a prosecution and defense team, so on one day, our prosecution team will face another school's defense team, and then on another day, our defense team will face another school's prosecution team. You have to win both trials for your school to move up.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 9:41:31 PM
At 2/19/2012 7:06:39 PM, 000ike wrote:

Each school has a prosecution and defense team, so on one day, our prosecution team will face another school's defense team, and then on another day, our defense team will face another school's prosecution team. You have to win both trials for your school to move up.

Oh, we just did ours all in one day. I'm not sure if we have to win both trials, though.

Anyways, what was your case about? Ours was about this man named Philip Newton who just got a job at this place called, "The Big Box." He and his friend, Taylor McFly, proceeded to go onto Philip's motorcycle when two kids bumped into their motorcycle with a red Honda. Philip angrily chased after them, and both parties were making obscene hand gestures at one another. They passed by a police officer, but he/she didn't do anything. When they pulled into a residential area, the father/mother of one of the two teenagers was waiting near the mailbox (his/her name was Danni/Danny Capulet). After Philip had u-turned in the middle of the neighborhood and was driving in the direction out of the neighborhood, Capulet fired three shots, two of which killed Philip instantly, causing the motorcycle to crash into their yard and injure Taylor McFly.

That's pretty much it. The defense had to try to prove this was all self-defense, while the prosecution (that's me!) has to prove it was murder. Of course, there were other witnesses I didn't mention, but you should get the gist of it.

How about you?
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 9:41:20 AM
At 2/19/2012 9:41:31 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 2/19/2012 7:06:39 PM, 000ike wrote:

Oh, we just did ours all in one day. I'm not sure if we have to win both trials, though.

Anyways, what was your case about? Ours was about this man named Philip Newton who just got a job at this place called, "The Big Box." He and his friend, Taylor McFly, proceeded to go onto Philip's motorcycle when two kids bumped into their motorcycle with a red Honda. Philip angrily chased after them, and both parties were making obscene hand gestures at one another. They passed by a police officer, but he/she didn't do anything. When they pulled into a residential area, the father/mother of one of the two teenagers was waiting near the mailbox (his/her name was Danni/Danny Capulet). After Philip had u-turned in the middle of the neighborhood and was driving in the direction out of the neighborhood, Capulet fired three shots, two of which killed Philip instantly, causing the motorcycle to crash into their yard and injure Taylor McFly. :
That's pretty much it. The defense had to try to prove this was all self-defense, while the prosecution (that's me!) has to prove it was murder. Of course, there were other witnesses I didn't mention, but you should get the gist of it.

How about you?

Sounds confusing... *__*
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary