Jump to topic:

The End of the World

The-Hand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2009 8:44:43 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
This thread was started because of the increasingly annoying doomsday prophets around me. This is meant to be a considerate and mature discussion about the end of the world.

I found this website on 2012, for instance, and am slightly intrigued by it. I disagree with it, but am curious why people are willing to accept that an ancient calander ending on a certain day spells out the end of the world.

http://www.2012endofdays.org...

When do you believe that the world will end? How do you think it will end? What do you think we can do to keep the world from ending? Do you think that end time prophecies are being fullfilled by us subconsciously? What heaven or hell, if it exists, do you want to when you get crushed by the whore of babylon? Are end of the world conspiracy theorists all wearing tinfoil hats?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2009 9:25:53 AM
People are crazy like that. Some base the worlds end off 2 ancient calendars, some of a musty old book, some extend that book (creating only 1 character they actually describe and the same story with 4 different viewpoints, which are almost exactly the same), etc. etc. Don't fret. They said we'd be killed in a shower of nukes by now.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2009 12:55:09 PM
At 6/25/2009 12:51:54 PM, Volkov wrote:
Three letters.

Y2K.

Two letters and a number.*

As Panda pointed out, most of these are based off of perceptions of what ancient writings say. The thing is, especially with the Maya calendar, they never specifically say it is the "end of the world," just the end of an era. It is true, in a way, because the "Pisces" age is ending in or around that date, based on astrological findings.

But remember, astrology is crock. It doesn't matter if you're an Aquarius in the Seventh House of Saturn or whatever - it does nothing to influence your life. Therefore, all these predictions will also have nothing to do with our lives. It will come and go, and people will just put it off to another date. Say, 2024.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2009 1:39:23 PM
I agree that all this end of the world stuff is ridiculous. I think it came about from a misunderstanding and lack of research. People get this crazy idea that since the Mayan calendar ends on a specific date, that is means the world will end. Of course, if they would have researched, they would find out that Mayan mythology says that this would be the dawn of a New Age, not a destroyed earth. The Mayan calendar is based on cycles and we are reaching the end of a 5,125 year cycle and this will bring upon great change and a rapid increase of evolution. The Mayans were great astronomers and were also predicting the great Galactic Alignment and the passing through of the Dark Rift. These events will happen and this is a fact. There will be a Galactic Alignment as we pass through the Dark Rift.

Also, let me make it clear that Y2K and 2012 are not the same. People make the assumption that the people who predicted a Y2K doomsday are the same people who predict a 2012 event. This is not true. Only incompetant, uninformed, paranoids believed in Y2K. None of the 2012 researchers ever fell for the Y2K crap, and not only that, the 2012 researchers were writing about 2012 before 2000, not after. I don't even know why people thought 2000 was significant. There was no calendar, there was no Galactic Alignment, there was no ancient texts referring to it, absolutely nothing! So Y2K had no basis. Again, 2012 should never be equated with Y2K or what ever other future random date that comes along.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Mimo1991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2009 2:00:13 PM
At 6/25/2009 1:39:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I agree that all this end of the world stuff is ridiculous. I think it came about from a misunderstanding and lack of research. People get this crazy idea that since the Mayan calendar ends on a specific date, that is means the world will end. Of course, if they would have researched, they would find out that Mayan mythology says that this would be the dawn of a New Age, not a destroyed earth. The Mayan calendar is based on cycles and we are reaching the end of a 5,125 year cycle and this will bring upon great change and a rapid increase of evolution. The Mayans were great astronomers and were also predicting the great Galactic Alignment and the passing through of the Dark Rift. These events will happen and this is a fact. There will be a Galactic Alignment as we pass through the Dark Rift.

Also, let me make it clear that Y2K and 2012 are not the same. People make the assumption that the people who predicted a Y2K doomsday are the same people who predict a 2012 event. This is not true. Only incompetant, uninformed, paranoids believed in Y2K. None of the 2012 researchers ever fell for the Y2K crap, and not only that, the 2012 researchers were writing about 2012 before 2000, not after. I don't even know why people thought 2000 was significant. There was no calendar, there was no Galactic Alignment, there was no ancient texts referring to it, absolutely nothing! So Y2K had no basis. Again, 2012 should never be equated with Y2K or what ever other future random date that comes along.

Geo has good point, none of that Y2K crap is actually true, and yes, 2012 researchers have made predictions before the year 2000 even emerged.
Not only that, his points on the Mayans seem pretty accurate too.
prov1s
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2009 7:22:59 PM
Are you talking about the Y2K where everyone believed computers were going to malfunction and everything was going to be disaster?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2009 7:26:18 PM
At 6/25/2009 7:22:59 PM, prov1s wrote:
Are you talking about the Y2K where everyone believed computers were going to malfunction and everything was going to be disaster?

Obviously... That is the only Y2K.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
prov1s
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2009 7:28:25 PM
I meant as that theory. I didn't see what was so bogus about that. I did of course think that killing oneself was a little too much over it. I just thought that there were more theories to go along with Y2K that i didn't know about.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2009 8:09:43 PM
At 6/25/2009 8:44:43 AM, The-Hand wrote:
When do you believe that the world will end? How do you think it will end? What do you think we can do to keep the world from ending? Do you think that end time prophecies are being fullfilled by us subconsciously? What heaven or hell, if it exists, do you want to when you get crushed by the whore of babylon? Are end of the world conspiracy theorists all wearing tinfoil hats?

The world will end when our sun enters its final life cycle stage, goes red giant, and consumes the Earth. We may die before then.

Or we might outlast our world. Who knows?
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2009 8:20:18 PM
At 6/25/2009 7:28:25 PM, prov1s wrote:
I meant as that theory. I didn't see what was so bogus about that. I did of course think that killing oneself was a little too much over it. I just thought that there were more theories to go along with Y2K that i didn't know about.

The only legitimate prediction about Y2K was the computer crash. This had to do with the computer programs being limited to the years 1999 and under because programmers put in something like 19xx instead of xxxx allowing for the year 2000. So it was safe to predict a computer meltdown and nothing more. Not the end of the world.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
prov1s
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2009 10:47:22 PM
Only incompetant, uninformed, paranoids believed in Y2K..

I was referring to this. I know the computer crashes were a legitimate prediction and those predictions weren't made by incompetent or uninformed paranoids. They were made by people that actually wrote those programs themselves. That's why I asked if there were other theories I wasn't aware of.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2009 11:03:10 PM
At 6/25/2009 10:47:22 PM, prov1s wrote:
Only incompetant, uninformed, paranoids believed in Y2K..

I was referring to this. I know the computer crashes were a legitimate prediction and those predictions weren't made by incompetent or uninformed paranoids. They were made by people that actually wrote those programs themselves. That's why I asked if there were other theories I wasn't aware of.

Yeah, I agree. The computer prediction was legitimate. The end of the world theories is what I was referring to. They had no basis. People actually built shelters because of that theory.

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
threelittlebirds
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 6:56:16 PM
At 6/25/2009 8:09:43 PM, Lexicaholic wrote:
At 6/25/2009 8:44:43 AM, The-Hand wrote:

The world will end when our sun enters its final life cycle stage, goes red giant, and consumes the Earth. We may die before then.

Or we might outlast our world. Who knows?

Or maybe we could move our planet away from the sun by then?
BrandonClark
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2009 6:38:17 AM
At 10/7/2009 6:01:39 AM, WoWfanatic wrote:
but seriously i believe the end of the world happens when the sun burns up all its fuels probably go supernova or black hole

our sun is not big enough for a black hole, but yes, you are right on that.
BLACKHAWKS 6-5 lN OVERTIME!!!