Jump to topic:

Period Placement Thoughts

asiansarentnerdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2009 8:19:28 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Recently I was reading yet another Time article, when one of the sentences brought attention to my eyes.
Here is an example of what I am talking about:

--There is plentiful food and land in the U.S.--

See? Shouldn't there be two periods after the "S" in U.S.? I know that it looks strange, but to make the sentence correct, shouldn't there be two periods? Or at least some other way to denote that there should, in fact, be another period at the end?

Just a thought that I had. Feel free to answer. :)
I'm asian.
dvhoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 6:26:38 AM
That's a question I've often wondered, and when I asked my English teacher, she told me no. You don't need 2 periods (U.S..). The one period will function as both, an abbreviator and a sentence ending.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 10:14:37 PM
I hate American English, personally.

Take for example this exaggerated example:
John burst out exclaiming, "Did she really say, 'You're a bitch.'"

According to American English teachers, the above is correctly punctuated. One must end a sentence with only one punctuation, they'd say. However, I think it promotes ambiguity and makes it hard on the reader.

Granted, my example is intentionally crude, and...
John burst out exclaiming, "Did she really say, 'You're a bitch.'?"!
...wouldn't be much better. But I think it makes a lot more sense.

In the real world (that is, not school), I think you'll find that no one really cares.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 11:01:23 PM
The people who make the rules aren't interested in a useful language.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 3:25:15 AM

In the real world (that is, not school), I think you'll find that no one really cares.

People do care. There is nothing more insulting than receiving a letter from a firm that is badly written. It implies that they have given the job of writing to you to an ill-educated, junior employee.

When I was a lawyer, all correspondence was checked and double-checked by a senior partner to ensure it was grammatically correct before it was sent out.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2009 1:48:58 AM
At 6/27/2009 3:25:15 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

People do care. There is nothing more insulting than receiving a letter from a firm that is badly written. It implies that they have given the job of writing to you to an ill-educated, junior employee.

Hmmm... I was speaking from a literary perspective. Professional writers bend and break rules all the time. I can definitely see how it matters in a legal perspective, though. Thanks for correcting me.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...