Jump to topic:

Informal Debate vs. Debate.org

Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2009 1:51:23 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Are you a better debater in real life (informal), like debating/arguing with friends/family/colleagues? Or are you a better debater on Debate.org?

I am a much better debater in real life, I rarely lose (not being egotistical haha). It probably has a lot to do with the difference of the intellectual level of the 16 year-olds I debate with and the intellectual level of the people on Debate.org.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2009 1:55:02 PM
I can understand Nags, but I can't do research on the spot in real life. I can't use statistics like on DDO.

Because of the absent of proof in informal debate, I find myself better at DDO, though in cases where evidence isn't necessary in informal, I usually pwn.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2009 2:04:04 PM
I was never good at formal debate (LD); however, I only did it in the 7th grade. If I were to try it now... I'd probably do really well.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Aric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2009 2:11:17 PM
I've never done formal debate. The people in the debate club at my school were a bunch of pretentious pricks who thought they knew everything, so I didn't really want to get involved with them, haha. Kinda wish I did though.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2009 2:13:35 PM
I never did any formal debating, since there was no such clubs at any of my schools.

I'm alright with informal debating, but when you don't have information on hand to back up some claims, you look a little naked.

DDO is much easier for me, and I'm probably better with it than offline, informal debating.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2009 2:16:11 PM
It depends. If I am debating something which I have no clue about, DDO. If I am informed on the topic though, definitely real life debating (especially when I get to rely on C/X)
untitled_entity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2009 2:53:05 PM
I debate on my high school's debate team, and I'm much better at it. There's just something about being online that just kinda takes away from the general experience, in my opinion. However, you are much more likely to find someone on DDO who has an interesting opinion than in an LD tournament, everyone pretty much thinks the same when it comes to formal debating.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2009 6:54:48 PM
I prefer the same style in informal debate as I do on DDO (that is, one that requires zero evidence), so I'm not exactly "better" at one of them. The differences between informal and DDO for me are 1) Fewer exchanges, 2) Longer exchanges, 3) On DDO, we can make a case (as opposed to "random" arguments).

I suck at formal debate though. I also hate it. I'm a dumbass; I believe what people say at face value - and I was told that debate led to truth. My mind refused to believe that it was possible to get to truth in a 45 minute debate round. And it didn't even consider that it was possible that both sides were true. Cognitive dissonance made me quit formal debate.

Now I get to pick my sides and take my time ^-^b
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2009 7:03:19 PM
Well, I'm an LD debater, and I like it better that way, because you don't HAVE to rely on a whole pile of evidence; I would much rather debate theory and general concepts, and debate questions of justice, morality, etc; I guess I enjoy debating the fundamental questions beneath policies (like the basic 'individual v. society' conflict) as opposed to the actual policies themselves.
asiansarentnerdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2009 9:03:34 PM
Currently I am an LD debater, and I find it very easy to argue, but hard to write the cases...I don't know what it is with me, I just don't have a knack for writing a "good" case. It takes me a REALLY long time, and I usually end up writing the cases the night before the tournament. I'd say if I could improve my "case writing", then my debates would probably improve. Besides that, I'm better at debating on the spot without any formal research or anything.
I'm asian.