Jump to topic:

What is Truth?

ClayMeister
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 10:08:03 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
This is a question I ask myself. Is this truly a Intellectual thought? -- Is the Truth relative or objective? If I believe something in my world and you believe my truth is absurd in your world, what is true, or is it just we are both true, with our own truths? This can get VERY deep so please don't have a 5 paragraph response try to trim away the fat, and answer from your mind and not your heart. What Is truth? Hm... It is very interesting once you ponder it, isn't it? If there is a purple elephant, wait no.. no.. elephants aren't purple, there are only grey and white ones. So then are you just lost and I'm right when I see a grey elephant and you see a purple elephant? How about this analogy... If I say, " If you punch someone really hard straight in the nose, you won't feel anything( not wearing a mask)." Is this true? or... is there an objective truth that says ( more like feels in this case) that you do experience Pain and Bleeding, emotions, thoughts, and such? or is it just what you 'perceive'? This is for people who want to ponder the question, no short mindless answers, please, Read. Think. Ponder. Answer.
As George Santayana said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Do you really believe that what you believe is really real?
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 11:09:40 AM
I think all truths are subjective. Kind of. I'm not sure. One must desire to be consistent with reality in order to have their truths be "objective" - but in a weird way, since the desire is their subjective truth, all objective truths are based upon a subjective truth, which makes all truths subjective. I dunno. But if we ask "Are there objective truths?" and we forget about the subjective desire for a moment, I think we can all agree that the answer to that question is yes: "2+2=4" is a true statement.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
ClayMeister
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 11:35:17 AM
Okay, So you believe that subjective truth is true? I haven't heard of Subjective truth so could you explain it to me, so I can better understand your thoughts?
As George Santayana said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 12:32:36 PM
Subjective truth: If I believe it is true, then it is true.
Ex: I believe X is a douche. So he's a douche.

Which is really what all truths come down to, from how I see it. I believe 2+2=4. Therefore it is true. Or if we also get the implied words, "Therefore it is true for me." I think that's a pretty good definition of truth: what you believe.

That's how I meant it in my last comment, anyways. I'm not sure what the academics or formal philosophers call it. Hell, when I first learned out what Objectivism was, I was like "Wait a minute, shouldn't it be called Subjectivism then?", but whatever.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 12:37:33 PM
Wait, why should Objectivism be called Subjectivism, considering the primacy of consciousness implied by your description of subjective truth, a primacy explicitly rejected by subjectivism?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 12:37:51 PM
er, by Objectivism.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 12:41:55 PM
My conception of truth does not have much to do with what I said about Objectivism. I was using Objectivism as an example as to how people can word things completely differently - though I have forgotten why I thought it would be better named "Subjectivism". It was a long time ago.

GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 1:08:52 PM
Without truth nothing exists, the universe began to exist at when God wanted it to. So there is a truth about the universe. With out there being a out side truth, how can the universe begin to exist?
Chuckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 1:48:26 PM
i've thought about this a lot in the last year or so. Going along the lines of your Purple Elephants: We all know red is red, right? We've been taught that This color has This name since we were kids. But what if Red is not red to some? What if we all saw colors differently, but still called them by the same names, because that's what we're taught? So imagine you and I both look at...the flag advertisement at the top of my screen currently. It's red, white, and blue, of course. But what if my Red, white, and blue actually look like orange, green, and yellow in your mind? Perception is key, and different perceptions are the reason we believe what we believe.
"Pumas are wretched beasts with enourmous salty genitals."-MadMonkey889

: At 5/5/2009 9:47:22 PM, rogerklotz wrote:
:That's obviously changed by the government. The Atlanteans probably had something to do with it.
: QUIT USING LOGIC

: At 4/25/2009 3:09:34 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
:God is GOING to have His way with you.
: At 5/5/2009 11:41:18 AM, Volkov wrote:
:When both sides can agree and disagree without someone quoting Proverbs, then the debate comes worthwhile
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 3:23:49 PM
Consider this: I say the King of the U.S. is bald. But, this isn't true. If it is false, then the King of the U.S. is bald.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
ClayMeister
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 3:25:59 PM
But this isn't Titled what your perception is. Truth is Truth. It was set-up by God. Now if I say the Holocaust never happened, is this true? Perception does matter, thats why you need to look at all sides, and determine for yourself. BUT it is also always true. Like a cow is white with black spots, not black with white spots. There is a defining line between what is true and your perception, I believe. If you believe what you believe and I believe what I believe, who is right? If we are different that is. What if my truth says your truth is a lie? Does the majority define the truth? Does God? Is there Evolution? Yes, there is Evolution of people, is there Darwin Evolution, No, that is scientifically dis-proven, but this is a different Title. Perceptions matter, but there is still the "Truth", whether you believe it or not. If I believe you do not exist, Is this True? No, it's absurd, you do exist( well, haha, yes, you may just be a programmed response system, but you hopefully get my point). I just challenge myself and you guys( and girls) to see for yourselves what is true, and who decides what is true. Is there a God? Wouldn't that interesting if there was?

ClayMeister
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 4:22:45 PM
Are there Absolutes?