Jump to topic:

Why is the drinking age 21?

Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2009 4:25:36 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
---It is 18 practically everywhere else.
---You can shoot people thousands of miles away at 18, but you can't drink..?
---People under 21 drink all the time anyway.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2009 4:42:36 PM
I don't know much about this subject, but I would imagine that the drinking age in the US is based on health factors mostly.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2009 4:53:49 PM
I haven't done particular research over it, but, as I recall, there's some kind of political issue involved; I think there's a law that talks about how, if the drinking age changes from 21, states lose funding for highways or something like that; there's definitely a lot of red tape involved there.
Brock_Meyer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2009 5:01:50 PM
At 7/1/2009 4:43:55 PM, Volkov wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Puritan moral pillars probably aren't the greatest.

I have to second that. The pervading view is that alcohol abuse destroys families (and consequently, "family values").
Lifeisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2009 6:16:41 PM
There are many good reasons for this law.

I think you guys are just mad because you're all still under the legal drinking age. ;)
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2009 6:22:55 PM
At 7/1/2009 6:16:41 PM, Lifeisgood wrote:

I think you guys are just mad because you're all still under the legal drinking age. ;)

Not where I live. I don't mind the law in the US either - more Americans can come here to spend their money and get drunk, because the age limit is 19. In Quebec, it is only 18.

Don't change the law - we need the money more than you do.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2009 1:38:11 PM
I laugh at every American who has the misbelief that Europe's drinking ages are like 16.

Yes, Germany, Italy, etc. are lenient about their drinking laws. But at 16, it's only the light stuff.

In Ireland (The supposed nation of Drinkers and Debauchees), it's 18, with no legal age on private property. So, my Dad could be giving me Guinness topped with Baileys without any law enforcement response.

Besides, the teaching that alcohol like wine is acceptable at small doses with a meal at an early age is better than preventing people from drinking as long as possible. Works for Europe. Mainland Europe.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2009 6:22:38 PM
At 7/3/2009 1:38:11 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I laugh at every American who has the misbelief that Europe's drinking ages are like 16.

Yes, Germany, Italy, etc. are lenient about their drinking laws. But at 16, it's only the light stuff.

In Ireland (The supposed nation of Drinkers and Debauchees), it's 18, with no legal age on private property.
Woohoo, you can go in a bar?

That's private property ^_^
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2009 6:27:23 PM
At 7/1/2009 6:16:41 PM, Lifeisgood wrote:

*Waits patiently for these "many good reasons"

I don't consider there to be any. People should be able to drink at the age of responsibility.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2009 6:31:03 PM
At 7/1/2009 5:01:50 PM, Brock_Meyer wrote:
At 7/1/2009 4:43:55 PM, Volkov wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Puritan moral pillars probably aren't the greatest.

I have to second that. The pervading view is that alcohol abuse destroys families (and consequently, "family values").

According to Bill Bryson's book 'Made in America', the Puritans were actually quite heavy drinkers. They also had very liberal attitudes to casual sex - the only caveat being that if a man got a girl pregnant he had to marry her. As a consequence, most brides were up the duff when they stood before the altar.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2009 5:18:32 AM
At 7/3/2009 6:22:38 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

In Ireland (The supposed nation of Drinkers and Debauchees), it's 18, with no legal age on private property.

Clarification: Bar = Pub

Pub = Slang for Public House, an industrial age term for a public place to drink

A private establishment must have a licence to sell alcohol. Then, they must serve the legal age.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2009 8:28:27 AM

In Ireland (The supposed nation of Drinkers and Debauchees), it's 18, with no legal age on private property. So, my Dad could be giving me Guinness topped with Baileys without any law enforcement response.

Besides, the teaching that alcohol like wine is acceptable at small doses with a meal at an early age is better than preventing people from drinking as long as possible. Works for Europe. Mainland Europe.

In that case... the U.S.A. should become more like Europe. (I never thought I would ever say that)
*Shivers*

---My cousin (from England) is 16 and he gets alchohol easily. No fake ID's and no people over-18 to get the alchohol for him. So, I doubt the laws are really enforced.

---Lifeisgood, where are those "many reasons", I am dieing to hear them.
Chuckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2009 5:18:06 PM
Like someone said, the federal government couldn't actually mandate a drinking age for the nation because it is a state's right to do so. They got around that by offering so much federal funding for transportation/highways/etc. to states that have the limit at 21. As far as i know, all states have done so.
The main reason i have heard for the current drinking age is that human brains don't finish developing until around 21, thus they try to protect young people's brains from harm via alcohol. But it has more to do with certain influential groups' morals than science.
Personally, I'm with Panda, if people are raised around responsible models for drinking, they can avoid major problems like alcohol poisoning/abuse. Lower the drinking age, SCREW the drinking age on private property, and show teens the right way to drink. Otherwise, either in secret or once they are 21, many go on drinking "binges" in potentially fatal manners.
"Pumas are wretched beasts with enourmous salty genitals."-MadMonkey889

: At 5/5/2009 9:47:22 PM, rogerklotz wrote:
:That's obviously changed by the government. The Atlanteans probably had something to do with it.
: QUIT USING LOGIC

: At 4/25/2009 3:09:34 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
:God is GOING to have His way with you.
: At 5/5/2009 11:41:18 AM, Volkov wrote:
:When both sides can agree and disagree without someone quoting Proverbs, then the debate comes worthwhile
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2009 6:06:15 PM
The actual reason? Drinking makes people more irrational. Young people are physically stronger than older people. Many older people fear the idea of uncontrollable and irrational young people. Therefore, they make laws to limit their irrationality. Simple animal instinct. Old monkeys hate being pushed around by young challengers. It's a dominance issue.
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2009 6:17:03 PM
At 7/4/2009 5:18:32 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 7/3/2009 6:22:38 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Clarification: Bar = Pub

Pub = Slang for Public House, an industrial age term for a public place to drink

A private establishment must have a licence to sell alcohol. Then, they must serve the legal age.

So, in other words not private property, but an alcoholic Castle doctrine. There is a distinction.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Lifeisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 5:41:49 PM
At 7/3/2009 6:27:23 PM, wjmelements wrote:
*Waits patiently for these "many good reasons"

I don't consider there to be any. People should be able to drink at the age of responsibility.

What is this "age of responsibility"? As for those of you who ask what the many good reasons are... heck, I don't know. There has to be some reason why the drinking age is specifically 21.

Oh man... I'm gonna get it now...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2009 7:55:34 AM
I thought the drinking age was 21 because your brain stops developing once you're about 22. I'm not sure of the specifics (I'll ask Vi when she gets home -- she's the Psych major, and we're taking a Brain and Behavior class together, though I can't remember this specific detail)... Anyway I think in addition to the responsibility issue is also the biological fact that something significant happens to our brains once we reach that age. I personally disagree with the law though as well (even though I'm of age).
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2009 8:11:55 AM
At 7/9/2009 7:55:34 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I thought the drinking age was 21 because your brain stops developing once you're about 22.
Recent science tells us about 25.
Lifeisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2009 8:49:20 AM
Aha. Thank you, Ragnar and Lwerd. I strongly suspected it was something along those lines.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2009 7:56:32 AM
At 7/9/2009 8:11:55 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I thought the drinking age was 21 because your brain stops developing once you're about 22.

That's a relief. Although I've killed quite a lot of brain cells already...
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2009 10:22:20 AM
At 7/10/2009 7:56:32 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 7/9/2009 8:11:55 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

That's a relief. Although I've killed quite a lot of brain cells already...

A relief?

As in "Glad I'm not stuck with this brain yet?"

If so you seem to be considerably underevaluating :)
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2009 10:50:30 AM
Drinking kills off brain cells, which is good.

Natural selections proves that only the strongest can survive change. And the brain can only go as fast as the slowest cells. Ergo, drinking makes you smarterer...rer
Chuckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2009 11:28:09 AM
nothing wrong with neurocyte death :D
"Pumas are wretched beasts with enourmous salty genitals."-MadMonkey889

: At 5/5/2009 9:47:22 PM, rogerklotz wrote:
:That's obviously changed by the government. The Atlanteans probably had something to do with it.
: QUIT USING LOGIC

: At 4/25/2009 3:09:34 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
:God is GOING to have His way with you.
: At 5/5/2009 11:41:18 AM, Volkov wrote:
:When both sides can agree and disagree without someone quoting Proverbs, then the debate comes worthwhile
pcmbrown
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2009 10:39:57 AM

the age for liquor may be 18, but nobody checks ID...
"Did I shock you with this discovery.? Of curse not..!!"-banker
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2009 5:22:52 PM
In Milan there has been a storm of protest because the city has banned the sale of alcohol to under 16's.

http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Apparently this is because 1/3 of 11 year-olds have alcohol-related problems so it is probably a good thing.

21 seems too old to me though.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2009 5:40:58 PM
At 7/10/2009 10:50:30 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Natural selections proves that only the strongest can survive change.
Er, more like the most adaptable to change survive... : )
President of DDO
Republican95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2009 11:35:30 AM
It's was 18 at one time, but got changed to 21 during the mid-to-late 1970's. (I think 1978, but I'm not sure)...

It was changed because of the high amount of alcohol related car accidents among the 18 to 21 demographic.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2009 12:34:19 PM
Yeah, which is stupid. However, now that I'm older and all that, looking back I think HS kids are friggin RETARDED and probably shouldn't be drinking. Haha. I was watching this reality show yesterday where this 17 year old girl was like sneaking alcoholic beverages from her parents' party and you could just tell by the look on her face that she thought she was so0o0o cool. Oh yes. You're so cool, my friend, so cool. Anyway, I think the law should just be amended so that people can drink when they're 18. It's stupid to hold them accountable in the eyes of the law as adults but not give them the adult "privilege" to drink alcohol.
President of DDO
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2009 12:39:11 PM
Now that my 21st birthday is coming up in August, I've changed my mind on the issue, just to stick it to you younger guys out there. MWAHAHA.

But seriously, I'm for the drinking age being moved to 14/13. I think Parents should encourage drinking at dinner time and have time to teach children at an impressionable age, proper drinking when to stop, etc. Besides the bad kids who are drinking at parties will do it anyway, you're only punishing the responsible kids and preventing anyone from having it taught by the parents. By illegalizing it, you making it the "cool" thing to do. Instead of letting colleges be the place where our children start drinking, we should have the dinner table be the place.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com