Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Happy Birthday U.S.A.

Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2009 8:39:05 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/4/2009 8:37:26 PM, mongeese wrote:
What does the U.S.A. want to wish for? There are so many problems that need solutions...

Probably wipe away the $11 trillion national debt would be close to #1.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2009 8:39:08 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/4/2009 8:29:50 PM, Nags wrote:
Just though I'd give a shoutout to the best country in the world.

Are you sure the U.S. is the best country in the world?

Would our Founding Fathers who celebrated Independence Day be proud of the difficulties and bullsh*t in society today? No.
Lexicaholic
Posts: 526
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2009 8:52:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/4/2009 8:39:08 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 7/4/2009 8:29:50 PM, Nags wrote:
Just though I'd give a shoutout to the best country in the world.

Are you sure the U.S. is the best country in the world?

Would our Founding Fathers who celebrated Independence Day be proud of the difficulties and bullsh*t in society today? No.

I think they might. Yes, it would be a very different world, but it would still be a nation devoted to liberty, and far freer than many nations.

There would probably be quite a bit of culture shock though. :)
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2009 8:59:05 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I have a lot of problems with our country, but I'd rather live here than anywhere else.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2009 9:36:21 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/4/2009 8:59:05 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I have a lot of problems with our country, but I'd rather live here than anywhere else.

I know one place I would choose right now...
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2009 2:17:16 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/4/2009 8:52:12 PM, Lexicaholic wrote:
At 7/4/2009 8:39:08 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 7/4/2009 8:29:50 PM, Nags wrote:
Just though I'd give a shoutout to the best country in the world.

Are you sure the U.S. is the best country in the world?

Would our Founding Fathers who celebrated Independence Day be proud of the difficulties and bullsh*t in society today? No.

I think they might. Yes, it would be a very different world, but it would still be a nation devoted to liberty, and far freer than many nations.

There would probably be quite a bit of culture shock though. :)

Lol, quite easy for Americans to call America the best country in the world.

Land of the freedom? Roflcopter.

Ireland ranks above it in Economic and certain freedoms.

Ireland ranks joint 5-6 with Finland in Press Freedom. The U.S. is joint 37-41 with Spain, Taiwan, South Africa and Cape Verde. The U.S. ranks below Ghana, Mali, Namibia, Costa Rica, Surinam and Bosnia and Herzegovina. All are considered Ex. USSR\ 3rd World by Americans. Also, most of "Socialist" Europe is far ahead fo the U.S.

Also, Extra Territorial U.S. (Guam, etc.) ranks 119th, which means the U.S. average is 79th, below East-Timor, Malawi, Nicaragua, Kosovo, Chile, Romania and Togo.

Europe = Land of the Free.

http://www.heritage.org...

http://www.rsf.org...
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Lexicaholic
Posts: 526
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2009 2:46:25 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/5/2009 2:17:16 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Lol, quite easy for Americans to call America the best country in the world.

Land of the freedom? Roflcopter.

Land of the free. Short for land of the free (people). I don't think we've ever referred to the U.S. as the land of the freedom.

Ireland ranks above it in Economic and certain freedoms.

Well, you have your troubles too, y'know:
http://www.voanews.com...

Ireland ranks joint 5-6 with Finland in Press Freedom. The U.S. is joint 37-41 with Spain, Taiwan, South Africa and Cape Verde. The U.S. ranks below Ghana, Mali, Namibia, Costa Rica, Surinam and Bosnia and Herzegovina. All are considered Ex. USSR\ 3rd World by Americans. Also, most of "Socialist" Europe is far ahead fo the U.S.

We actually do need a much more responsible and freer press. I won't deny that.

Also, Extra Territorial U.S. (Guam, etc.) ranks 119th, which means the U.S. average is 79th, below East-Timor, Malawi, Nicaragua, Kosovo, Chile, Romania and Togo.

Those are unincorporated territories. They make their own laws and rule themselves, for the most part. They don't count as the U.S. really. They're more like protectorates.

Europe = Land of the Free.

I have nothing against Europe. I said the U.S. is freer than many nations, not every nation ... in some ways, it's still a lot freer than France.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Hmm ... France is higher on the press freedom list. Strange. Perhaps it depends on how you rank 'freedom.'
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
Harlan
Posts: 1,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2009 3:31:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/4/2009 8:59:05 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I have a lot of problems with our country, but I'd rather live here than anywhere else.

Seriously? What aspect of the US do you feel makes it a more preferable place to live then any other in the world?

It is not so free as many other nations, the government is not so good as many other nations, you apparently live in Texas so the climate is certainly not it, and I don't think I even need to mention the culture.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2009 3:38:55 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/5/2009 3:31:42 PM, Harlan wrote:
At 7/4/2009 8:59:05 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I have a lot of problems with our country, but I'd rather live here than anywhere else.

Seriously? What aspect of the US do you feel makes it a more preferable place to live then any other in the world?

It is not so free as many other nations, the government is not so good as many other nations, you apparently live in Texas so the climate is certainly not it, and I don't think I even need to mention the culture.

Its government is stable, and our governments aren't as socialist as the European alternative. Japan would be fine, but I don't speak the language.

Australia is tyranny. You can't go to the bathroom wihtout government up your a*s.

Britain is terrible from what I've heard as well. They're a socialist nanny state.

Where else is there to go?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Harlan
Posts: 1,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2009 4:15:16 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Its government is stable, and our governments aren't as socialist as the European alternative. Japan would be fine, but I don't speak the language.

Australia is tyranny. You can't go to the bathroom wihtout government up your a*s.

Britain is terrible from what I've heard as well. They're a socialist nanny state.

Where else is there to go?

Ah, well if you have a problem with more socialist governments, then that changes everything. Otherwise I would have suggested Scandinavia. Or Canada.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2009 4:59:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/5/2009 4:15:16 PM, Harlan wrote:
Its government is stable, and our governments aren't as socialist as the European alternative. Japan would be fine, but I don't speak the language.

Australia is tyranny. You can't go to the bathroom wihtout government up your a*s.

Britain is terrible from what I've heard as well. They're a socialist nanny state.

Where else is there to go?

Ah, well if you have a problem with more socialist governments, then that changes everything. Otherwise I would have suggested Scandinavia. Or Canada.

In Canada, you have to wait three years for a hip replacement, and months upon months for an MRI. This hasn't struck America yet, so we stay in America, and try to make sure that it will never strike.
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2009 5:03:59 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Have you tried to arange the March on Washington yet?
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2009 10:23:14 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Australia is tyranny. You can't go to the bathroom wihtout government up your a*s.

Haha! What are you basing this on? I've spent most of my life in Australia and that's not how it is at all. It's basically like living in the States, but you feel a lot safer and people are generally nicer. The government is far from a tyranny, and rarely "up your a*s".
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2009 4:43:01 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/5/2009 4:59:42 PM, mongeese wrote:

In Canada, you have to wait three years for a hip replacement, and months upon months for an MRI.

And in America, if you can't afford such an operation you may wait your entire life.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2009 5:54:24 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
The US is the land of the free for those who can afford it.

Personally, I love America, especially Florida, Hawaii and Texas where most of my family lives, and I spend a lot of time in the States, but I would hate to be poor there.

The British National Health Service is not perfect but it is much loved - no politician would ever dare to reduce spending on it in order to cut taxes.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2009 6:41:02 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
meh, US is still to socialist. I went to a gov't funded fireworks show on the 4th.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2009 10:25:20 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/6/2009 6:41:02 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
meh, US is still to socialist. I went to a gov't funded fireworks show on the 4th.

Oh, the horror. Government funded fireworks display celebrating a holiday about the creation of the government!
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 6:35:24 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/6/2009 1:50:26 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
Let's stop arguing and agree that we KICK A$$!

Gotta love the dollar signs.

Has it occurred to you that the reason a lot of people have misgivings about America is that you seem so intent on kicking a$ much a$$ a$ possible?
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 6:36:58 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/7/2009 6:35:24 AM, feverish wrote:
At 7/6/2009 1:50:26 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
Let's stop arguing and agree that we KICK A$$!

Gotta love the dollar signs.

Has it occurred to you that ONE OF the reasonS a lot of people have misgivings about America is that you seem so intent on kicking a$ much a$$ a$ possible?

Sorry, edit.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 6:55:46 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/7/2009 6:35:24 AM, feverish wrote:
At 7/6/2009 1:50:26 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
Let's stop arguing and agree that we KICK A$$!

Gotta love the dollar signs.

Has it occurred to you that the reason a lot of people have misgivings about America is that you seem so intent on kicking a$ much a$$ a$ possible?

That's a good point. When Iranians or Russians or North Koreans boast about their military prowess there is all hell to play.

The ordinary people in those, and other countries, feel as equally patriotic and proud of their respective cultures as Americans do and they are concerned when Americans use threatening and intimidating phrases such as "we kick a$$" and "you are either with us or against us".

Democracy is best spread by example, not by intimidation and bellicose threats of force.

Having said that, the British are equally, if not more guilty of this than the Americans and it is interesting that the Iranians blamed British, not American influences for the post-election violence there.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 7:19:02 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/7/2009 6:55:46 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Having said that, the British are equally, if not more guilty of this than the Americans and it is interesting that the Iranians blamed British, not American influences for the post-election violence there.

I would think that is due to the United State's current leadership, compared to the United Kingdom's, or even Canada's, as we have been accused of meddling as well, to the point where an Iranian-Canadian journalist "admitted" meddling by Canadian interests.

Obama is popular in Iran, as compared with Gordon Brown (uncharismatic, barely-known leader that took over after Tony Blair, willing participant in the Iraq War) and Stephen Harper (pompous a$$). I'm also sure that the BBC has something to do with it.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 7:43:11 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/7/2009 7:19:02 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/7/2009 6:55:46 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Having said that, the British are equally, if not more guilty of this than the Americans and it is interesting that the Iranians blamed British, not American influences for the post-election violence there.

I would think that is due to the United State's current leadership, compared to the United Kingdom's, or even Canada's, as we have been accused of meddling as well, to the point where an Iranian-Canadian journalist "admitted" meddling by Canadian interests.

Obama is popular in Iran, as compared with Gordon Brown (uncharismatic, barely-known leader that took over after Tony Blair, willing participant in the Iraq War) and Stephen Harper (pompous a$$). I'm also sure that the BBC has something to do with it.

Yes, I think you have hit the nail on the head there. It is the BBC that the Iranians distrust, but, ironically, so do right-wing Israelis.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com...
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 7:48:59 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/7/2009 7:43:11 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Yes, I think you have hit the nail on the head there. It is the BBC that the Iranians distrust, but, ironically, so do right-wing Israelis.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com...

Maybe you shouldn't point that out - if they think that they do not have anything in common, they might leave you alone.

Just remember, the US, UK and Russia joined together to defeat Germany - guess who is Germany in this situation.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 8:58:02 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/7/2009 6:35:24 AM, feverish wrote:
At 7/6/2009 1:50:26 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
Let's stop arguing and agree that we KICK A$$!

Gotta love the dollar signs.

Has it occurred to you that the reason a lot of people have misgivings about America is that you seem so intent on kicking a$ much a$$ a$ possible?

You sound like this wuss. http://www.popmatters.com...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 10:53:02 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
The reason the Americans aren't knocking on Tehran now is because of M.A.D (Mutually Assured Destructions). Iran more than likely have nukes, and the U.S. wont' chance them using said weapons. That said, the U.S. would be able to turn Iran into Dustan.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 11:06:15 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/7/2009 10:53:02 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
The reason the Americans aren't knocking on Tehran now is because of M.A.D (Mutually Assured Destructions). Iran more than likely have nukes, and the U.S. wont' chance them using said weapons. That said, the U.S. would be able to turn Iran into Dustan.

I disagree. The Iranians probably don't have enough enriched uranium for a fully fledged nuclear device yet - but those centrifuges are spinning.

Besides, MAD isn't the reason. Have you seen the state of the US Army, Navy and Air Force? Overstressed, overworked and under supplied. Stretch that into what would be an unpopular war with a country that has been known for its fervent fanaticism and powerful army/security forces, the situation would not be in their favour. At all.