Jump to topic:

July 4th

Mind_Equals_Power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2009 8:23:38 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
It is a wonderful holiday to some people. But what is the true meaning behind it? White people think they are celebrating something wonderful. While we stand on stolen land. We stole the land from native Americans, killed almost all Native Americans. So how can we celebrate and ignore the truth? We was never murdered out, never was slaved on this land. African Americans live in the ghettos, in jails, has been in slavery, and even after all of that there was hangings. Now today like I said they live in the ghetto, still living poor, when they should be the one rich as h**l! But their not. They have build and pulled for 400 years. How can anyone celebrate Independence Day? Independence means The state or quality of being independent; freedom from dependence; exemption from reliance on, or control by, others; self-subsistence or maintenance; direction of one's own affairs without interference. So we have always been independent, but African Americans still aren't free today. They give a child molester a couple of years, but give a drug dealer 25 years in jail. The biggest drug dealer in America never was put in prison. The biggest pimp got praised and has his own show on tv! The laws are unjust I think. So why do we celebrate Independence day again?
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2009 8:37:03 AM
At 7/6/2009 8:23:38 AM, Mind_Equals_Power wrote:
barely coherent rambling

Would you be so kind as to run that wall of text through a spell/grammar-check? Also, most of the things you mentioned are not relevant to the fourth of July.

Yes, the U.S. has some negative periods in its history. But there are also many positive aspects of our history, and even more today.
dvhoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2009 9:31:27 AM
Independence Day is the day that Britain surrendered... It's the day that America was it's own country, not just a colony... Yeah, we've done some dark things, but that's irrelevant to the concept of Independence Day
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2009 10:11:40 AM
I look at the name: Independence Day.
I remember what my teachers taught me: Freedom and Liberty.
Then I put it into action.
And I celebrate: By being even more anarchistic.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2009 4:52:56 PM
At 7/6/2009 9:31:27 AM, dvhoose wrote:
Independence Day is the day that Britain surrendered...

Uhh... no?

It was the day the Declaration was signed. They surrendered over half a dozen years later.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light