Jump to topic:

HAVENWOOD MAFIA GAME: Mafia Win!!!

KRFournier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:06:34 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
The Havenwood Mafia have wittled the citizenry into submission. They now rule the city with a criminal fist.

Survivors

#1. dvhoose
#2. resolutionsmasher
#3. DeadLeaves93, a.k.a. mrbullfrog11
#4. Harlan
#5. JBlake, a.k.a. crackofdawn_Jr
#6. usafkid1121, a.k.a. Johnicle
#7. theitalianstallion
#8. I-am-a-Panda
#9. wjmelements, a.k.a. DrumBum1234

Deceased

#1. usafkid1121 (townie) , Turncoat (Becomes mafia if targeted for a mafia kill at night) - killed by vigilante on Night Phase 1. (REPLACED ournamestoolong on Night Phase 6)

#2. theLwerd (townie), Psychic (When casting lynching vote, lynch fails if target is innocent and succeeds if target is mafia. One use every four days) - killed by mafia on Night Phase 1. (REVIVED on NP2)

#3. SaintNick (townie), Cop (Can investigate a player at night to determine if that person is mafia or innocent) - lynched on Day Phase 2. (REVIVED on NP3)

#4. Logical-Master (townie) , Mason Recruiter (Can recruit a new mason during each night phase without knowing if recruit is mafia or innocent) - killed by vigilante on Night Phase 2. (REPLACED Im_always_right on Night Phase 5)
#5. DeadLeaves93 (townie) , Mason (Can communicate privately with other masons) - killed by mafia on Night Phase 2. (REPLACED mrbullfrog11 on Night Phase 5)

#6. Clockwork (mafia) - killed by vigilante on Night Phase 4.

#7. theLwerd (townie), Vigilante (Can kill one player each night) - killed by mafia on Night Phase 4. (REPLACED Zeratul on Night Phase 5)

#8. wjmelements (townie), Mason (Can communicate privately with other masons) - killed by Moderator on Day Phase 5 for violating rule 5--no copying and pasting private conversions with moderator. (REPLACED DrumBum1234 on Night Phase 8)

#9. JBlake (townie), Nightwatch (Can follow a player during each night phase and be told who that person targeted) - killed by Mafia on Night Phase 5. (REPLACED crackofdawn_Jr on Night Phase 8)

#10. SportsGuru (mafia), Mafia Assassin (Carries out mafia kills and kills the vigilante if targeted; the mafia always has exactly one assassin) - lynched on Day Phase 6.

#11. AnimeFanTony (townie), Inventor (Can roll the dice to random effect1-Cop, 2-Doctor, 3-Revive, 4-Death) – killed by rolling a 4 on Night Phase 6.

#12. The_Booner (townie), Politician (Can force any player to vote for another player each day phase) – killed by mafia on Night Phase 6.

#13. Logical-Master, a.k.a Im_always_right (mafia) - lynched on Day Phase 7.

#14. usafkid1121, a.k.a ournamestoolong (townie), Doctor (Can select a player at night and keep protect them from a night kill) – killed by mafia on Night Phase 7. (REPLACED Johnicle on Night Phase 8)

#15. SaintNick (townie), Cop (Can investigate a player at night to determine if that person is mafia or innocent) - killed by mafia on Night Phase 8.

#16. Ragnar_Rahl (mafia), Godfather (Innocent when investigated by cop; the mafia always has exactly one godfather) - lynched on Day Phase 9.

#17. theLwerd, a.k.a Zeratul (townie) - killed by mafia on Night Phase 9.

#18. theitalianstallion (townie) , Ex Navy Seal (If targeted by mafia, kills the Mafia Assassin instead, but can still die at the hands of the Vigilante) - lynched on Day Phase 10.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:08:41 PM
At 7/17/2009 3:07:38 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
...You forgot to take me off the survivor's list...

lol.

And I want to know who was what from the beginning.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:09:06 PM
At 7/17/2009 3:08:41 PM, wjmelements wrote:

lol.

What were you?
When Reach fell, I came.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:09:46 PM
At 7/17/2009 3:09:06 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
At 7/17/2009 3:08:41 PM, wjmelements wrote:

lol.

What were you?

I started out as a mason (duh), and then I took over Drumbum's role of Reviver.
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:10:55 PM
At 7/17/2009 3:09:46 PM, wjmelements wrote:

So you were one of the original two with L-M?
When Reach fell, I came.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:11:01 PM
I was the Forensic Investigator. We should have lynched Res. Smasher. Well, time to plan the next one.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:13:28 PM
At 7/17/2009 3:11:01 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I was the Forensic Investigator. We should have lynched Res. Smasher. Well, time to plan the next one.

If no one else is doing it, I volunteer to be host.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:14:13 PM
At 7/17/2009 3:10:55 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
At 7/17/2009 3:09:46 PM, wjmelements wrote:

So you were one of the original two with L-M?

Yep.
The original 3 masons:
- L-M (recruiter)
- me
- Deadleaves
Then, we added
- IS
Then, we added
- dvhoose
However, after we added him, our recruiter and Deadleaves died.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:15:40 PM
At 7/17/2009 3:13:28 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
At 7/17/2009 3:11:01 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

If no one else is doing it, I volunteer to be host.

I personally would want to host a mafia game, though I'm not sure how Summer Band is going to affect my DDO time.

I wouldn't have a problem with L-M hosting it, though.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:16:39 PM
At 7/17/2009 3:12:45 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
You were the Revivor? Dayum. It's a good thing all things happened when they did. Otherwise, we would have been screwed.

It was a one-time use role. It was used to revive SaintNick before I acquired it.
KRFournier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:17:46 PM
MAFIA

The mafia had only two roles: Godfather and Mafia Assassin. The roles are perpetual as they are randomly reassigned when they player dies. I'll explain my reasoning a bit later. The Godfather appears innocent to the cop and is the one that decides who to kill each night. The Mafia Assassion role is passive. The player with this role performs the killings each night and if targeted by the Vigilante, kills the Vigilante instead. However, as a counter-balance, if the Ex Navy Seal is tareted, the Mafia Assassin dies.

Since I gave no roleblocking roles, I maximized the mafia size to 1/3 total player count: 8 out of 24.

Here were the game's mafia players and all my notes on their activity:

Ragnar_Rahl - Godfather #1
- Chose to kill theLwerd on NP1
- Chose to kill DeadLeaves93 on NP2
- Chose to kill dvhoose on NP3
- Chose to kill theLwerd on NP4
- Chose to kill JBlake on NP5
- Chose to kill The_Booner on NP6
- Forced to vote for himself on DP7
- Chose to kill usafkid1121 on NP7
- Lynched on DP9

SportsGuru - Mafia Assasin #1
- Killed theLwerd on NP1
- Killed DeadLeaves93 on NP2
- Failed to kill dvhoose on NP3 (dvhoose is bulletproof)
- Forced to vote for himself on NP4
- Killed theLwerd on NP4
- Killed JBlake on NP5
- Lynched on DP6

Clockwork
- Killed by theLwerd (Vigilante) on NP4

resolutionssmasher - Mafia Assassin #2
- Randomly assigned as new Mafia Assassin after death of SportsGuru
- Killed The_Booner on NP6
- Killed usafkid1121 on NP7
- Killed theLwerd on NP9

usafkid1121, aka Johnicle
- Replaced Johnicle on NP8

JBlake, aka crackofdawn_Jr
- Protected by ournamestoolong (Doctor) on NP3
- Replaced crackofdawn_Jr on NP8.
- Chose to kill theLwerd on NP9

Logical-Master, aka Im_always_right
- Replaced Im_always_right on NP5
- Lynched on DP7

DeadLeaves93, aka mrbullfrog11
- Replaced mrbullfrog11 on NP5
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:19:02 PM
On second thought, I'm pretty sure I-Am-Panda or JBlake had said they wanted to run a game. If neither of them wants to do it, I'll gladly be host. I've been dying to try out some new gameplay elements (at least to the debate.org games).
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:20:59 PM
At 7/17/2009 3:19:02 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
On second thought, I'm pretty sure I-Am-Panda or JBlake had said they wanted to run a game. If neither of them wants to do it, I'll gladly be host. I've been dying to try out some new gameplay elements (at least to the debate.org games).

I want there to be a Cult next time, along with the Masons.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:23:29 PM
At 7/17/2009 3:20:59 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 7/17/2009 3:19:02 PM, Logical-Master wrote:

I want there to be a Cult next time, along with the Masons.

Yeah, I think that since more people are experienced now, we can afford to have some more of the advanced roles in order to up the difficulty.
KRFournier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:24:15 PM
Masons

There were three masons to start the game, and two more were recruited. Usually, if there is a Mason Recruiter, he dies if recruiting mafia. The upside is that all masons are confirmed townies. The downside is that recruiters get really shy about using the power. So, I decided that he could recruit anyone without fear of death, but I wouldn't disclose the newcomer's alignment. By making the shrewd Logical-Master the recruiter, I knew it would be interesting to say the least. As luck would have it, Logical-Master only recruited townies.

Logical-Master - Mason Recruiter
- Protected by ournamestoolong (Doctor) on NP1.
- Killed by vigilante on NP2.

DeadLeaves93 - Mason
- Killed by SportsGuru (mafia) on NP2.

wjmelements - Mason
- Pasted PM content to the forums and had to be mod-killed. (ouch)

theitalianstallion - Ex Navy Seal (Kills Mafia Assassin if targeted by mafia but can still be killed by the Vigilante)
- Recruited into the masons on NP1.
- Forced to vote for himself on NP2.

dvhoose - Bulletproof (Cannot be killed at night by either the mafia or the vigilante)
- Recruited into the masons on NP2.
- Targeted by mafia on NP3 but survived due to role power.
KRFournier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:43:47 PM
Townies

Yes, I have been cited as being a purist, and I really wanted to be. However, it was quickly apparent that people reluctant to be a townie without having a role. However, I am pro-townie. I stand by my theory that the mafia already have an immense advantage, and roles such as the Paranoid Cop are--to me--utterly ridiculous. Thus, I modified some known roles to ensure the townies still had some advantage if used wisely.

Regarding theLwerd's switch to the vigilante. Zeratul was the original vigilante, but he resigned the role once he thought he couldn't be active enough. theLwerd had just been revive and I had originally intended on their being a delay in her role power to balance out the possibility of multiple revives (hence the comment in the Herald about her not being her same old self). So, instead of reinstating her old power, I made her vigilante instead.

The doctor was ournamestoolong, and respectfully, I think he did a poor job. He opted to not use his power half the time even when the Cop was revealed. By good luck, the mafia never targeted the cop thinking he was always protected. Usafkid1121 took over and immediately announced his role, which got him immediately killed followed by the Cop. SaintNick's inactivity made him less effective had a more active player been the cop. These two vital roles were simply not in the best of hands, in my opinion. (Sorry to those who might be offended by my assessment).

JBlake - Nightwatch (Can follow a player each night and find out who they targeted)
- Chose to track theLwerd on NP1. Result: She did not target anyone. (She has no targeting role)
- Chose to track dvhoose on NP2. Result: He did not target anyone. (He has no targeting role)
- Chose to track DrumBum1234 on NP3. Result: He tracked a dead body of SaintNick
- Chose to track outnamestoolong on NP4. Result: He did not target anyone. (He has no targeting role)
- Chose to track Harlan on NP5. Result: He did not target anyone. (He has no targeting role)
- Killed by SportsGuru (mafia) on NP5

theLwerd - Psychic (If casting the lynching vote, the person dies if mafia or lives if innocent)
- Tracked by JBlake on NP1
- Killed by SportsGuru (mafia) on NP1
- Revived by AnimeFanTony (Inventor) on NP2
- Protected by AnimeFanTony (Inventor) on NP3
- Made her the vigilante on NP3
- Chose to kill Clockwork on NP4

The_Booner - Politician (Can force one player's vote each day phase)
- On NP1, forced DrumBum1234 to vote for himself.
- On NP2, forced DrumBum1234 to vote for theitalianstallion.
- On NP3, forced theitalianstallion to vote for himself.
- On NP4, forced SportsGuru to vote for himself.
- On NP5, forced The_Booner to vote for himself.
- On NP6, forced Ragnar_Rahl to vote for himself.
- Killed by resolutionsmasher (mafia) on NP6

usafkid1121 - Turncoat (Becomes mafia if targeted for a mafia night kill and remains so for the remainder of the game)
- Killed by vigilante on NP1

SaintNick - Cop (Can investigate one player each night to determine if he/she is a mafia or townie)
- Chose to investigate JBlake on NP1. JBlake is innocent.
- Killed on DP2.
- Revived on NP3.
- Chose to investigate dvhoose on NP4. Dvhoose is innocent.
- NP5 expired before he could use his role power.
- Chose to investigate Logical-Master on NP6. Logical-Master is mafia.
- Investigated Harlan on NP7. Harlan is innocent.
- Killed by resolutionsmasher (mafia) on NP8.

usafkid1121, aka ournamestoolong - Doctor (Can protect one person each night from being killed by the mafia or vigilante, but not both)
- Chose to protect Logical-Master on NP1.
- Chose not to use his power on NP2.
- Chose to protect crackofdawn_jr on NP3.
- Chose not to use his power on NP4.
- Replaced ournamestoolong on NP6.
- Chose to protect SaintNick on NP6.
- Chose to protect SaintNick on NP7.
- Kill by resolutionsmasher (mafia) on NP7.

I-am-a-Panda, aka rangersfootballclub - Forensic Investigator (Can investigate one dead body every four nights to determine who targeted that player)
- Took over for rangersfootballclub on NP2.
- Chose to investigate theLwerd's body on NP2.
- NP6 expired before he could use his role power.
- Chose to investigate The_Booner's body on NP7.

AnimeFanTony - Inventor (Can use ability each night, which randomly selects between Cop, Doctor, Revive, or Death)
- Used power on NP1. Rolled a 2: Doctor. Chose to protect himself.
- Usafkid1121 took over for DP2 and NP2, but must give control back on DP2.
- Used power on NP2. Rolled a 3: Revive. Chose to revive theLwerd.
- Used power on NP3. Rolled a 2: Doctor. Chose to protect theLwerd.
- Used power on NP4. Rolled a 2: Doctor. Failed to respond with a target before NP4 expired.
- Used power on NP5. Rolled a 1: Cop. Chose to investigate SportsGuru.
- Used power on NP6. Rolled a 4: Death.

Harlan - Hero of the People (If lynched, then skip the next day phase. If killed by mafia, then skip the next night phase)

wjmelements, aka DrumBum1234 - Reviver (May select one dead player once in the game and bring them back to life.)
- Forced to vote for himself in DP2
- Chose not to use his power on NP2
- Forced to vote for theitalianstallion in DP3
- Used his power to revive SaintNick on NP3
- Replaced DrumBum1234 on NP8

theLwerd, aka Zeratul - Former Vigilante (Was vigilante, but gave power away after theLwerd was revived)
•Chose to kill usafkid1121 on NP1
•Chose to kill Logical-Master on NP2
•Resigned his role on NP3
•Replaced Zeratul on NP5
•Killed by resolutionsmasher (mafia) on NP9
KRFournier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:50:36 PM
Self-Assessment

At first, I thought the potential for all the townie revives would be overpowering, but in the end, they still didn't work against the mafia.

I think I erred in bringing Logical-Master and DeadLeaves93 back as mafia since they knew the roles of all the masons. This gave an unfair advantage to the mafia.

I should have replaced players sooner as inactivity was the town's biggest handicap.

I can't decide if I should have listed all roles in the game first as my mod style was constantly in question. On the other hand, it allowed mafia to masquerade as oddball rolls.

I should have instituted the must-post-for-vote-to-count rule as soon as inactivity seemed to be a problem.

That's all I can think of.
KRFournier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:52:20 PM
This game lasted nearly TWO MONTHS! We started on May 22, 2009. Incredible. The word document containing all my notes and Havenwood Herald writings is 19 pages!
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:53:19 PM
Wow. I was so convincing in drawing suspicion to Stallion I forgot he was a townie when he started getting lynched.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
KRFournier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:55:40 PM
At 7/17/2009 3:54:48 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I wasn't expecting there to be 8 mafia.

Yep. And next time I mod, I will disclose the number of mafia.
KRFournier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 3:57:42 PM
At 7/17/2009 3:53:19 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Wow. I was so convincing in drawing suspicion to Stallion I forgot he was a townie when he started getting lynched.

You were great in this game. I was eager to see if SaintNick would investigate you. People were pretty convinced by what I thought was a ridiculous role (bumbling gunsmith), and getting investigated would have sealed the deal.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 4:01:05 PM
Salesman. Craftsmen, smiths, they can't bumble, or the gun wouldn't work.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2009 4:05:30 PM
At 7/17/2009 3:50:36 PM, KRFournier wrote:
Self-Assessment

At first, I thought the potential for all the townie revives would be overpowering, but in the end, they still didn't work against the mafia.

I think I erred in bringing Logical-Master and DeadLeaves93 back as mafia since they knew the roles of all the masons. This gave an unfair advantage to the mafia.

IMO, I think this was balanced out by not modkilling theLwerd on day 6 as well as giving her the vigilante power upon being revived. I'd say this game could have potentially been a domination on the part of the town if not for poor activity (the town's biggest enemy in this game . . . or, well any game for that matter). With two revivers (one which can kill, protect and investigate) and three investigative roles (one which was confirmed by the town ), this had the makings of a slam dunk fest.