Jump to topic:

HighDeas

OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 4:06:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Have you ever thought centuries from now, some of us may become famous and be read about in history books. Where do you think the historians are going to get the primary sources? Sure, they'll use your own work but where can they get a REALLY good idea of who you actually are if not from the online forums. Yes, obviously they know your joking but this would be the ultimate form of information because it's anonymous with no fear of reprisal.

Could DDO be in the history books of the 2200s?

Give me feedback.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 5:14:02 PM
At 4/18/2012 4:06:16 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Have you ever thought centuries from now, some of us may become famous and be read about in history books. Where do you think the historians are going to get the primary sources? Sure, they'll use your own work but where can they get a REALLY good idea of who you actually are if not from the online forums. Yes, obviously they know your joking but this would be the ultimate form of information because it's anonymous with no fear of reprisal.

Give me feedback.

I actually did think about that a while ago (the bolded part). I figured that a lot of us likely will go far in life and become famous. I know if anyone asked me where my intellectual influences have come from, DDO would certainly get a mention. It would be cool to see in the future a list of well known members of DDO. Highly unlikely, but you never know!

This thread deserves more attention.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 5:23:14 PM
At 4/18/2012 5:14:02 PM, thett3 wrote:

Give me feedback.

I actually did think about that a while ago (the bolded part). I figured that a lot of us likely will go far in life and become famous. I know if anyone asked me where my intellectual influences have come from, DDO would certainly get a mention. It would be cool to see in the future a list of well known members of DDO. Highly unlikely, but you never know!

Their homework could be analyzing threads or debates between members (if one of us is famous enough.) Like if you're writing to an audience its not the same thing as writing anonymous and getting that pure feedback with a purer, more unfiltered expression of thought. Imagine how much easier we could have sorted like Lincoln's concern for slavery if he had a DDO account.

We need to get moar posts here.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 5:44:50 PM
At 4/18/2012 5:23:14 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

Give me feedback.

Their homework could be analyzing threads or debates between members (if one of us is famous enough.) Like if you're writing to an audience its not the same thing as writing anonymous and getting that pure feedback with a purer, more unfiltered expression of thought. Imagine how much easier we could have sorted like Lincoln's concern for slavery if he had a DDO account.

True. Maybe jimtimmys thought of this site coming back to haunt him had some merit after all..
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 8:29:28 PM
Bump
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 9:11:38 PM
At 4/18/2012 5:44:50 PM, thett3 wrote:

Give me feedback.

True. Maybe jimtimmys thought of this site coming back to haunt him had some merit after all..

JT might already be dead in the water if he ever ran for public office come to think of it. A lot of us know who he is personally and his posts here are pretty unedited.

Yeah, but where are historians going to go for primary sources hundreds of years from now? If they can attach a person with a username they have tons of information, and if anyone DDO user becomes a famous writer, politician, etc. there's bank loads of info here. The children of the 2100s and 2200s could be assigned to read through threads for homework.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 9:20:57 PM
That's perhaps true to an extent. But, the amount of conversation that probably occurs online within the course of a week is probably astronomical. So, I have doubts that we even have the information storage technology to retain whatever was said within the last six months even a decade from now.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 9:23:56 PM
At 4/18/2012 5:44:50 PM, thett3 wrote:

Give me feedback.

My extreme social stances would do well in a republican primary, but in anything in a general election vs a democrat those stances would fry my chances.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 4:13:27 PM
Today's highdea:

We are effectively living in different universes. We communicate using words, words signify concepts. Our conceptions of a given object or idea are undoubtedly unique. You can see this either in communicating with someone else through the language, but then you must already realize there are other differences that are not covered by the language.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 4:44:41 PM
At 4/19/2012 4:33:31 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I think you overestimate the members on DDO and the worth of the info on this website.

Maybe I do, or maybe I just realize it otherwise ends up lingering in my head until vanishing and choose the lesser of two evils. I'll never understand the exact circumstances of how it came about that you responded in that manner - like your state of mind, intentions, motivating factors (conscious and unconscious). Our universes are different and to a large extent unbridgeable.

I feel alone...
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 4:50:00 PM
At 4/19/2012 4:13:27 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Today's highdea:

We are effectively living in different universes. We communicate using words, words signify concepts. Our conceptions of a given object or idea are undoubtedly unique. You can see this either in communicating with someone else through the language, but then you must already realize there are other differences that are not covered by the language.

In that way language modes our thinking habits although it certainly bridges the gap between individuals. It is interesting to think about how different languages are reflective of different cultures.

Body language, tone, facial expressions can often get the point accross more effectively than the words themselves. In this way you can uniquely express the intent behind the thought where we might have only set options of words to describe the thought.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 4:57:34 PM
At 4/19/2012 4:50:00 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Today's highdea:

In that way language modes our thinking habits although it certainly bridges the gap between individuals. It is interesting to think about how different languages are reflective of different cultures.

Body language, tone, facial expressions can often get the point accross more effectively than the words themselves. In this way you can uniquely express the intent behind the thought where we might have only set options of words to describe the thought.

Yes, body language helps and language can shape the way we think. I've always been inclined to think of concepts as just more real than language and that we can say that certain concepts just exist a priori and language is ultimately an attempt to represent these concepts.

Yes, body language helps but there will always be stuff out of reach of the viewer that he really just can't know. Like say we're talking in person and you get mad at me. Imagine you're me now, so I know you're "mad" but what is "mad" - is it the internal rage or is it the body language you're expressing to me? Imagine how you were taught what "mad" was - your parents probably pointed towards a picture in a book with someone appearing angry.

I could just be rambling but I'm really high right now.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 4:58:37 PM
At 4/19/2012 4:57:34 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Today's highdea:

Yes, body language helps and language can shape the way we think. I've always been inclined to think of concepts as just more real than language and that we can say that certain concepts just exist a priori and language is ultimately an attempt to represent these concepts.

Yes, body language helps but there will always be stuff out of reach of the viewer that he really just can't know. Like say we're talking in person and you get mad at me. Imagine you're me now, so I know you're "mad" but what is "mad" - is it the internal rage or is it the body language you're expressing to me? Imagine how you were taught what "mad" was - your parents probably pointed towards a picture in a book with someone appearing angry.

In case I wasn't clear: How did you make that jump to anger being an inner phenomenon?
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 5:00:40 PM
Today's highdea:

In other words -- our existences are separate, distinct, and abide by their own physical laws; but, bridges are drawn between these existences through what we know as interaction (but is actually an analogue for the forces necessary to make this connection), which can result in influences we understand to be consensus and communal experience.

Amirite?

(*puff*)
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 5:01:58 PM

Nono -- what makes emotes special is that they're ubiquitous and we're born recognizing them. Those that don't are likely autistic.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 5:08:26 PM
At 4/19/2012 5:00:40 PM, Ren wrote:
Today's highdea:

In other words -- our existences are separate, distinct, and abide by their own physical laws; but, bridges are drawn between these existences through what we know as interaction (but is actually an analogue for the forces necessary to make this connection), which can result in influences we understand to be consensus and communal experience.

Amirite?

(*puff*)

I want to emphasize the unbridge-ability between consciences. Like in any given fact to face interaction you interpret someone else's motives with varying degrees of confidence. I'm just saying even your "confident reads" just neglect an enormous amount of information. Yes, interaction will draw some bridges but we're fundamentally separate to a large extent but perhaps not completely.

Tell me if I'm wrong here, but saying we're all essentially separate and alone is basically a universally depressing notion. Given the universality of it - I'm basically challenging my old example - but we can claim at least some commonality. Perhaps this is what's ultimate real?
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 5:10:28 PM
Today's highdea:

^ Haha, a few more hours and I will be where you are at :P

Yeah, surely a concept in itself means more than the words to describe it. The whole is more than the parts.

Also, it depends a lot on ones capacity to express their ideas. Most here at ddo are better than average at this aspect. There is so much that gets lost or buffered out between the concept and the expression, whether it be through written language or speaking. I imagine that is an authors ultimate goal - to get what is in their head onto the paper in the most pure & authentic form. Honestly, that is the goal of anyone that creates something. To replicate their mental vision into something concrete. Language is the concrete manifestation of an intent or a concept.

I'v actually think about thoughts a lot when I am high. It amazes me how we will never truly know someone because each of our brains operate only in the sense that it can perceive another through its own form of understanding. Sometimes it creeps me out when I am in a room with someone and even though it is quiet, I realize that there is noise going on in their head. I wonder how loud they are thinking.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 5:10:36 PM
At 4/19/2012 5:01:58 PM, Ren wrote:

Nono -- what makes emotes special is that they're ubiquitous and we're born recognizing them. Those that don't are likely autistic.

lol, I completely agree. This is actually a question that Wittgenstein spends a good amount of time here. I just brought in some of academic reading. I'm on a comedown...fcuk.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 5:15:08 PM
I'v actually think about thoughts a lot when I am high. It amazes me how we will never truly know someone because each of our brains operate only in the sense that it can perceive another through its own form of understanding. Sometimes it creeps me out when I am in a room with someone and even though it is quiet, I realize that there is noise going on in their head. I wonder how loud they are thinking.

I completely agree. It reminded me of this quote.

"We live together, we act on, and react to, one another; but always and in all circumstances we are by ourselves. The martyrs go hand in hand into the arena; they are crucified alone. Embraced, the lovers desperately try to fuse their insulated ecstasies into a single self-transcendence; in vain. By its very nature every embodied spirit is doomed to suffer and enjoy in solitude. Sensations, feelings, insights, fancies — all these are private and, except through symbols and at second hand, incommunicable. We can pool information about experiences, but never the experiences themselves. From family to nation, every human group is a society of island universes."

-Aldous Huxley, The Doors of Perception
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 5:31:35 PM
At 4/19/2012 5:15:08 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

I completely agree. It reminded me of this quote.

"We live together, we act on, and react to, one another; but always and in all circumstances we are by ourselves. The martyrs go hand in hand into the arena; they are crucified alone. Embraced, the lovers desperately try to fuse their insulated ecstasies into a single self-transcendence; in vain. By its very nature every embodied spirit is doomed to suffer and enjoy in solitude. Sensations, feelings, insights, fancies — all these are private and, except through symbols and at second hand, incommunicable. We can pool information about experiences, but never the experiences themselves. From family to nation, every human group is a society of island universes."

-Aldous Huxley, The Doors of Perception

I agree with all of this. Other people's real emotions, thoughts, and experiences seem completely impenetrable and unknowable.
This thread makes me wanna smoke. And also- Justin Bieber is hot.
And after this bowl, I'll have some rambling to contribute ^__^

For now, as usual, there is a waking life clip a discussion on DDO reminds me of.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2012 6:38:37 PM
I'm surprised nobody has disagreed yet. I have brought this up to my uncle before and he vehemently disagreed with me.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2012 1:52:16 PM
At 4/19/2012 6:38:37 PM, Oryus wrote:
I'm surprised nobody has disagreed yet. I have brought this up to my uncle before and he vehemently disagreed with me.

who could say something bad about justin beiber? your uncle is just jealous because he lacks that boyish charm.

lol. seriously though. i don't even think we fully understand our own thoughts most of the time.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2012 2:05:39 PM
At 4/20/2012 2:03:11 PM, drafterman wrote:
I have no opinion about Justin Bieber, I've never listened to her music.

that is a blatant insult to women lol
:
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2012 2:11:49 PM
At 4/20/2012 2:03:11 PM, drafterman wrote:
I have no opinion about Justin Bieber, I've never listened to her music.

lucky.