Favorite Board Game

Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2009 4:26:13 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
RISK.

I almost always win. I'd probably say I've got about a 90% win percentage and I play a lot. While, I play a lot in the winter and rainy days, etc. Because I almost always win at Risk, my neighborhood friends (my usual game partners) don't like to play anymore.

We usually play Monopoly now. I probably have an 80% win percentage in that.

And if we don't play Monopoly, we play Texas Hold'Em, and I probably have a 95% win percentage in that, so they are usually reluctant to play for money.

I don't mean to brag, but I am quite nasty at board games. But, when we play CoD or Halo, I usually get pwned.

So... what is your favorite all-time board game?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2009 4:30:51 PM
Here is the wikipedia article on Risk:
http://en.wikipedia.org...(game)
-Click on Risk (disambiguation) and click: Risk (game), a strategy board game of world conquest

I love it because it is a simulation of world war. The last man standing wins. Tactics, strategy, and negotiation prevail. Weakness fails. Awesomeness.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2009 4:37:17 PM
At 7/26/2009 4:32:50 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
Chess
-I like Chess a lot too. But not many people play chess. So, my dad is my only ever worthy opponent.
And Candy Land. Once played on regional level.
-Lol. I've played Go Fish on a national level.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2009 4:53:02 PM
At 7/26/2009 4:41:49 PM, wjmelements wrote:
You misspelled favourite. lol

I hate it when Candians and Europeans say colour and favourite instead of color and favorite.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2009 5:00:11 PM
Chinese Chess and Go.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2009 5:01:06 PM
At 7/26/2009 4:53:02 PM, Nags wrote:

I hate it when Candians and Europeans say colour and favourite instead of color and favorite.

I am neither but I have such a respect for Old English that I use the original spellings anyways.
My favourite OE spelling is connexions. Then comes chuse.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2009 5:23:55 PM
At 7/26/2009 4:53:02 PM, Nags wrote:

Well the language is called English and that's what I am, I don't bemoan the bastardisation of my mother tongue by illiterate Americans so let's all spell how we think is right. lol

Who are Candians? they sound yummy, except we call candy sweets in English. hehe.

@wj: connexion and chuse are not modern English spellings, don't know if you realise this or not.
KRFournier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2009 5:42:00 PM
Settlers of Catan

Have gotten everyone I know into it and get to play it quite often. Even have the Collector's Edition 3D board. Awesome game. If you have played it, you are missing out on the best board game of all time.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2009 5:48:07 PM
At 7/26/2009 5:23:55 PM, feverish wrote:
@wj: connexion and chuse are not modern English spellings, don't know if you realise this or not.

I know that. I use Old English, not British.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Lifeisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2009 6:10:33 PM
At 7/26/2009 4:30:51 PM, Nags wrote:
Here is the wikipedia article on Risk:
http://en.wikipedia.org...(game)
-Click on Risk (disambiguation) and click: Risk (game), a strategy board game of world conquest

I love it because it is a simulation of world war. The last man standing wins. Tactics, strategy, and negotiation prevail. Weakness fails. Awesomeness.

Risk is so much more simple than real warfare. I used to really like it, but as I grew older I started reading more and more books on warfare and such. I became drunk on the complexities and incredible situations. After that, returning to the staleness of Risk seemed quite an unappetizing waste of time.

Like others, I'd have to say my favorite board game would be Chess. Game of Kings.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2009 6:17:01 PM
Beat your enemy with a board
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2009 8:45:14 AM
Settlers of Catan
Monopoly
Clue
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2009 9:32:31 AM
Coming from the guy who said, "History Cllass Lies."

Settlers of Catan, Chess, Clue, Carcassone, Puerto Rico.
heart_of_the_matter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2009 10:58:28 AM
While I do also like Risk a lot...I find that the main strategy in that game is psychological warfare! like you have to learn how to get the other players to attack each other...inserting comments during the game like "Are you going to let him get away with THAT!"...etc...until it comes down to heads up...then you better have cards!

A game similar to that that I like is "Axis and Allies" - this game eliminates the "team up on one guy" factor....it also brings in planes and ships and different units into the mix which brings it to a whole new level!

Chess is also a favorite, but I only play against the computer now...I found that the potential for hurting people's feelings is very high with that game...as there is NO luck involved...and I don't want to do that...I'm not saying I would never play it against a person again, but the situation hasn't been right...

Stratego is another game similar to Chess that is pretty fun too...

anyway that is probably enough...I am a gamer....I have many I like
(also I have Settlers of Catan too...and I second it that it is a very cool game!)

As far as the "spelling/ mispelling" I like this quote by Mark Twain "I feel sorry for people who can only spell things one way." :D
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2009 2:12:53 PM
At 7/27/2009 2:07:51 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
I forgot Monopoly, I LOVE Monopoly. One of my extremely liberal friends is hooked on it and he doesn't get why I think it's funny.

I have an extremely liberal friend who loves monopoly as well. I'll use that joke on him next time.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2009 2:23:47 PM
Lol, whenever I play monopoly, I choose a custom Hammer and Sickle piece and then I declare everything state property and claim an auto win. I also steal all the money from the bank.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2009 9:59:20 PM
Scrabble and Chess are decent runners up, but Monopoly is my favorite.

It takes some luck, but here's the best strategy:

Get at least one of each property and NEVER trade. You're guaranteed to win one of two ways:

1 - You'll likely develop one/some monopoly/ies, and you'll be the only player with such; or

2 - Your opponents will quit in frustration that you have them trapped and won't budge.

It takes a little bit of luck, but it's pretty manageable. Great game.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 1:51:53 AM
I notice a lot of people have said chess.

Like golf and horse-riding, when I grew up chess was only for the posh kids, not working class ragamuffins like me, so I never learned.

Never mind, some Chinese friends of mine taught me how to play Mah-jong, which is just as strategic and much, much faster.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 7:43:54 AM
Kidding.

I like Risk, though I haven't played it in a very long time. Chess is cool but I ALWAYS lose. Cranium is entertaining if I remember correctly. However I find myself liking Apples to Apples a lot at the moment; it's really fun to play when everyone is tipsy (which is the only time any friends of mine are going to be playing board games).

That said, I HATE MONOPOLY!!! I remember playing as a kid and it seemed kind of fun; however, lately when I play (I haven't played in awhile, but I remember) it's so freaking dull as everyone just buys whatever property they land on right at the start of the game. I think the problem is that it lets you start out with too much money and thus everyone just buys everything right away and the whole game goes to crap and gets boring after that.
President of DDO