Jump to topic:

What do clothes "express"?

1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2012 5:47:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Many anti-dress code people argue that dress code stifles "expression". Well tell me, what can you "express" with clothes? Dark shirts =sad, light =happy? Seriously, what "expression" can clothes be?
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2012 5:53:19 PM
At 4/29/2012 5:47:49 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
Many anti-dress code people argue that dress code stifles "expression". Well tell me, what can you "express" with clothes? Dark shirts =sad, light =happy? Seriously, what "expression" can clothes be?

Im all for freedom of expression and stuff, but this issue is so petty compared to things like creationism in schools and stuff. I think its because the media pumps our kids full of this "Feel good, be yourself, the world is disneyland" crap.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2012 6:05:12 PM
It all depends on your label. I for one am a bit of an emo/gothic freak so I tend to wear black a lot.
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2012 6:18:26 PM
At 4/29/2012 6:05:12 PM, kyro90 wrote:
It all depends on your label. I for one am a bit of an emo/gothic freak so I tend to wear black a lot.

No wonder the people in your profile pics are always dressed in black
Wall of LOL
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2012 7:02:33 PM
At 4/29/2012 6:18:26 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:

No wonder the people in your profile pics are always dressed in black

Duh!?!? xD
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2012 7:06:30 PM
At 4/29/2012 5:47:49 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:

idk ... I think it has to do with what you're more comfortable wearing. At least, that's what it is with me. Other people just buy whatever is in fashion no matter how ridiculous it might be, lol. I remember there was this girl with shorts so short, that her shirt went over her shorts and I thought she wasn't wearing pants.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2012 7:09:10 PM
Clothes express whatever people think they express or whatever they want them to express.

Objectively, what do they express? When I wear clothes, the message I'm sending is:

"I'm currently wearing clothing."
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2012 8:14:20 PM
Close are an expression in and of themselves. They greatly contribute to your appearance, and thus, your individuality as well as how you choose to be perceived by the world.
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 10:13:32 AM
That argument really only applies to, like, t-shirts with slogans on them. Even in that case it's ridicdulous. Clothing doesn't express anything but boundary lines between cliques. (I'm not saying that uniforms solve this problem)
Some girl once told me that "It's not just a shirt, it's my personality". My thinking is that if you need a shirt to have a personality, then you have bigger problems than what to wear.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 11:42:09 AM
Clothes are an outer expression of our inner nature.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where judgement on another happens very often. This is human nature. Clothes represent many, many things - how clean you are, how much money you have, how stable you are, how open you are, etc. etc.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 2:22:16 PM
At 4/30/2012 10:13:32 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
That argument really only applies to, like, t-shirts with slogans on them. Even in that case it's ridicdulous. Clothing doesn't express anything but boundary lines between cliques. (I'm not saying that uniforms solve this problem)
Some girl once told me that "It's not just a shirt, it's my personality". My thinking is that if you need a shirt to have a personality, then you have bigger problems than what to wear.

I totally agree with this woman. If I didnt have my skinny jeans, Idk what id do.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 2:25:22 PM

I've always wondered, is summer just hell for kids who go with the emo look? I remember in high school some of the kids always wore black jeans and a black sweatshirt, even if it was 95 and high humidity out.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 2:28:28 PM
At 4/30/2012 2:25:22 PM, lewis20 wrote:

I've always wondered, is summer just hell for kids who go with the emo look? I remember in high school some of the kids always wore black jeans and a black sweatshirt, even if it was 95 and high humidity out.

Its not that bad but I hate the hot weather. Ive always loved the cold since I was born in New York so I tend to wear Black.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 2:40:03 PM
At 4/30/2012 11:42:09 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:

Unfortunately, we live in a world where judgement on another happens very often. This is human nature. Clothes represent many, many things - how clean you are, how much money you have, how stable you are, how open you are, etc. etc.

How stable, open? How?
Wall of LOL
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 3:34:52 PM
At 4/30/2012 2:40:03 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
At 4/30/2012 11:42:09 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:

How stable, open? How?

How? because your clothes are a reflection of how you perceive yourself. Granted, clothes are on the surface and these are surface issues. They don't give you a full sense about a person. Like i said, this is a judgmental world, and we present ourselves how we feel about ourselves and how we want others to perceive us. Let me give you a few examples.

Take a look at subject number 1:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com...

This person is wearing clothes that are meant for someone half of their size. They likely have a disconnected sense of self and aren't very stable.

http://magfashion.net...

This is for a photo shoot but imagine that it's not. This girl is comfortable with herself and doesn't mind taking risks.

http://img2.timeinc.net...

This girl is shy and can be self-defeating. She's not comfortable in her body. She doesn't take much risk. She's the type that likes to blend in. She is probably calm but sensitive.

http://www.flickr.com...

this person is guarded. he likes to set himself apart from people and puts himself at a distance. Not very open.

http://image.made-in-china.com...

and.. this guy means serious business. confidence. stability.

it's just about how you choose to portray yourself. how you portray yourself is a direct relation of how people will treat you. people treat you how you ask to be treated. your outfit is part of that. you would be more inclined to take orders and say "yes sir" to the guy in the suit rather than the guy in the goth outfit.

Sure, it might seem superficial, and people deserve more than a quick judgement, but it is what it is.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2012 4:34:33 PM
At 4/30/2012 3:45:55 PM, drafterman wrote:
Sweater puppets.

That is all.

That is all
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2012 9:00:34 AM
At 4/30/2012 2:22:16 PM, kyro90 wrote:
At 4/30/2012 10:13:32 AM, devinni01841 wrote:

I totally agree with this woman. If I didnt have my skinny jeans, Idk what id do.

My point is proven.. you shouldn't need a certain kind of clothes to be who you are.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.