Jump to topic:

Random: MOVING TO THE MIDWEST!

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 9:02:04 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
This is a random post that some DDO chums might find funny.

So I decided to move to Illinois to live with my girlfriend (she couldn't handle the east coast... pu$sy. Lol jk <3). We went to meet the landlord of the apartment and sign a lease; to our surprise it was an EXTREMELY CHRISTIAN husband and wife couple whose entire lives revolve around the Church!!! We wound up sitting at their dining room table for five hours talking (they liked us a whole lot); however, we had to pretend to be Christian!

Apparently they are unfamiliar with social etiquette: they asked us what religion we were, and because she felt completely awkward, my gf proclaimed that she was Orthodox Christian (lol wtf?!) which is hilarious because she's a full blown atheist who grew up in a Muslim family. As far as sexuality goes, the landlords seemed more than uncomfortable that their daughter is "not straight" (the woman couldn't even bring herself to say the word Gay), so of course we didn't tell them that we plan on sharing a bedroom...

Anyway, aside from being adamant about Creationism and against birth control, perhaps worst of all these people told us that they are huge fans of Rush Limbaugh!!! I nearly keeled over. Haha imagine Vi_Veri and I listening to this for hours (and nodding in polite agreement) to these passionate individuals who invited us to join their Church now that we're moving to the community. Of course we don't plan on accepting the invitation, but needless to say we're probably going to have to keep up appearances with these people as we don't want any landlord/tenant tension. I just think this whole situation is hilarious. They have no idea that three progressive (socially), free-thinking intellectuals are moving in... there goes the neighborhood!

On that note, I should mention that DeKalb, IL is a college town (Northern Illinois University) and IL in general is the bluest state in the midwest, so we are not alone in our somewhat liberal ideals. That being said, is anyone here from IL or the midwest in general, and can offer some interesting things to do around here?! I'm from NYC so this is going to be quite a change of pace from what I'm used to.
President of DDO
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 10:03:27 AM
hahaha!

Sounds like you guys have a twenty-first century version of Three's Company. (For those uninformed: http://en.wikipedia.org...) Your living situation should make for some interesting and entertaining encounters. Just don't let Mr. Roper find out you are "not straight." Also, be sure to inform us of any more humorous exploits.

I've never lived in Illinois. I've only been there once (to visit a friend in Chicago) and only for a week. If you are close to Chicago I'm sure you could find plenty of New York City-esk things to do. If you are close to Lake Michigan you could go to one of the beaches (or any other water-related activity).
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 10:11:50 AM
We have to help them paint today..... This will be entertaining....
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
KRFournier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 10:15:56 AM
Interesting. But, why pretend? It seems that it will create a tense living situation as now, if the truth is ever revealed, there will be deception layered on top of the social differences. Wouldn't it be better to find another place to live this point... since it's too late to be upfront about it? Or is there no where else to live?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 10:26:28 AM
Lol, it's going to be quite an awkward situation if they ever visit the apartment and find Christopher Hitchens books lining the shelves.

I would have been upfront with them, because it is illegal for them to discriminate against you based on religion (at least it should be). But, this could make for an interesting story to tell others later on.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 10:41:27 AM
Ahh.....that split my sides. I can imagine the second-to-last episode being a series of competitions, with you and Vi winning. They then evict you anyway, and the rest of the community decide to let you stay.

Anyway, who's the third cowboy[girl]?? You said 3 progressive people.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 12:10:14 PM
Also, you should seriously convince Phil to fund a camera crew to follow the action. Comedy & Sitcom gold.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 12:21:09 PM
Eh, confrontation with the landlords seems inevitable, although I wonder if they'd go so far as to kick you out when they inevitably learn the truth. In any case, be sure to let us know how this turns out. :D

PS: I take it SaintNick had to move out. ;)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 12:29:27 PM
KRF: Actually, you're right - there IS no other place for us to live. Haha. Long story.

Volkov: Good point. Our book collection will definitely give us away!!! I may be able to counter that though by hanging up my diploma from Moore Catholic HS.

But anyway, I don't think the issue of "lying" will be a problem. The woman talks and talks and talks -- I think she just likes me so much because I let her ramble on and on. She must be lonely. Also, we look harmless. She probably thinks we're too cute to be gay. If anything (ya know - like she catches us... praying) I could always start crying and drop to my knees claiming to have been tempted by Satan, and beg for her help in trying to change my ways.
President of DDO
untitled_entity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 12:35:07 PM
At 7/29/2009 12:29:27 PM, theLwerd wrote:
But anyway, I don't think the issue of "lying" will be a problem. The woman talks and talks and talks -- I think she just likes me so much because I let her ramble on and on. She must be lonely. Also, we look harmless. She probably thinks we're too cute to be gay. If anything (ya know - like she catches us... praying) I could always start crying and drop to my knees claiming to have been tempted by Satan, and beg for her help in trying to change my ways.

Haha.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 12:35:53 PM
At 7/29/2009 12:29:27 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Yes, now that that is a possibility, I will personally fund a Big Brother camera system.
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 12:53:41 PM
Hey, I'm a conservative Christian and I still read Chris Hitchens. (I even listen to Rush sometimes, but rarely.) If you consider yourself open-minded, then keep so with these people, so long as it's not too heavy a burden (which it doesn't sound like it is).

So long as they're generally nice people; reasonable/efficient landlords; and giving you an affordable place to stay with necessary amenities, lie till your heart's content.

(After all, you shouldn't worry about it affecting your chances of getting into heaven, right?)
iamadragon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 1:14:05 PM
Who is the third person?

I live in Chicago... it's completely different from the rest of the Midwest, so despite living in IL I can't really speak about anything else.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 1:52:26 PM
At 7/29/2009 10:26:28 AM, Volkov wrote:

I would have been upfront with them, because it is illegal for them to discriminate against you based on religion (at least it should be). But, this could make for an interesting story to tell others later on.
Private.

Property.

For this reason I am disappointed :(.

But meh, I won't have to live with the consequences.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 2:08:40 PM
At 7/29/2009 1:52:26 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Private.

Property.

Discrimination is bad. Besides, if there is a paying customer that doesn't default on payments and don't cause major disruptions, I see no point in discrimination against what they believe - and the law agrees with me!
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 2:30:31 PM
Well, I'm sure my being a philosophy major can cover up a lot of the atheist books on our shelves ; ) Just tell them it's all a part of my education lol

As for everything else -- they can't just waltz into our house, obviously -- so I'm sure all of the lying will only take place around Christmas time when we put up a little tree -- they're cute anyway, right? hahah...

I'll just tell them we enjoy our privacy. I do think it's against the law to just barge into the home. I'll just make sure to put a nicely bound copy of the bible on each shelf ; )

As for everyone's asking: the third person is a very good friend of ours that needs a place to stay, so she's moving in with us. Her and I are doing research for Erowid next semester ; ) Now THAT research material and books should be interesting to explain to the landlords hahah...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 2:39:32 PM
At 7/29/2009 12:53:41 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:
Hey, I'm a conservative Christian and I still read Chris Hitchens. (I even listen to Rush sometimes, but rarely.) If you consider yourself open-minded, then keep so with these people, so long as it's not too heavy a burden (which it doesn't sound like it is).

So long as they're generally nice people; reasonable/efficient landlords; and giving you an affordable place to stay with necessary amenities, lie till your heart's content.

(After all, you shouldn't worry about it affecting your chances of getting into heaven, right?)

They're nice alright. Nice and dumb. Just the way I like 'em!

Seriously though, this is just going to be entertaining. And Panda, don't worry about any camera funding. I always have a few strategically places ones for my own personal, uh, documentaries.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 2:42:09 PM
So the nice christian landlords are convinced they have a nice trio of respectable, Christian, straight, sober and non-drug taking ladies. Ho-ho, I claim media rights.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 2:52:23 PM
Lol. Well there are 1--1.5 straights, depending on alcohol intake, which I'm sure only increases the value of your potential reality show. I can dig it. And stop implying that we are these rambunctious drug takers lol we're simply about free love... which again probably only adds to the content value of the show ; )
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 2:53:53 PM
At 7/29/2009 2:52:23 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Lol. Well there are 1--1.5 straights, depending on alcohol intake, which I'm sure only increases the value of your potential reality show. I can dig it. And stop implying that we are these rambunctious drug takers lol we're simply about free love... which again probably only adds to the content value of the show ; )

Where do I sign?
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 2:55:13 PM
I've only ever been to Chicago but I have heard that many of the people who live in the rural Mid West are nice enough but can be really backward in their social outlook. Mind you, this is true of country folk the world over.

I went to college in a country town with a huge student population and the natives really resented us because most of us were not local and they were mainly uneducated (you don't need a degree to drive a tractor). This made them suspicious of our relatively progressive views, not to say our outlandish Goth clothes. Still, during the whole time I was there, farmers' boys only shot at me once.

But I wouldn't worry about your landlord, girls, Christian or not, he's still a man so I can hardly see him objecting to a couple of attractive girls sharing a bedroom - just check the light-fittings for hidden webcams that's all!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 3:12:57 PM
It's actually a couple (I think they are property managers for the owner who is apparently a bitchy old maid), but you're probably right. We've made good impressions on them thus far.
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 3:29:02 PM
At 7/29/2009 2:08:40 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/29/2009 1:52:26 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Private.

Property.

Discrimination is bad.
That statement, without further qualification, is you passing your own death sentence.

Is discrimination between food and poison bad?

^_^

Discrimination in housing in regard to the sexual preferences of the occupants may indeed be bad (unless they are into burn play or something, in which case it's a danger to property), but lots of things are bad, that is no excuse to commit expropriation in whole or in part, which is worse.

Besides, if there is a paying customer that doesn't default on payments and don't cause major disruptions, I see no point in discrimination against what they believe -
I see plenty of point in allowing the market to discriminate against such landlords once they make themselves open, by punishing their profits for it :).

and the law agrees with me!
Ad authoritatem.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 3:43:39 PM
At 7/29/2009 3:29:02 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
That statement, without further qualification, is you passing your own death sentence.

Is discrimination between food and poison bad?

Lol, funny guy. Discrimination when justified is good; ie., the difference between food and poison is good, as that is something vital to your well-being and purpose. Which would mean that if you needed food, you eat the food; if you needed poison, for whatever reason, you take the poison.

Discrimination when not justified, ie. keeping atheists or homosexuals from renting your apartment simply because you don't like them, is not good, as such a thing is not vital to your well-being or negatively affects the purpose of renting out an apartment in the first place (for money).

I see plenty of point in allowing the market to discriminate against such landlords once they make themselves open, by punishing their profits for it :).

Ah, the market, the market, the market. Unfortunately, the market does not protect someone's choice under certain circumstances, ie., this apartment may be the only thing available, or it may be the most affordable, etc. "Punishing" a landlord's profits doesn't serve a purpose unless a landlord forgets about their bias (unlikely unless forced to), or drives them to find someone they do agree with (likely as it is their choice), which denies someone who is financially available the chance to rent that property. Do you believe that the "market" should be open to everyone?

Ad authoritatem.

I know, that was the point.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 3:58:06 PM

Ah, the market, the market, the market. Unfortunately, the market does not protect someone's choice under certain circumstances, ie., this apartment may be the only thing available, or it may be the most affordable, etc. "Punishing" a landlord's profits doesn't serve a purpose unless a landlord forgets about their bias (unlikely unless forced to), or drives them to find someone they do agree with (likely as it is their choice), which denies someone who is financially available the chance to rent that property. Do you believe that the "market" should be open to everyone?

Sure. Including discriminatory landlords. "The market is open" means you may make whatever offer you want to the owner of the property you are after, and their word is the only thing which permits it.

If you enact legally sponsored discrimination against certain religious beliefs, by announcing that conservative Christians do not have property rights, you create problems far worse than the issue that an occasional conservative Christian makes an a** of himself.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 4:08:51 PM
At 7/29/2009 3:58:06 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Sure. Including discriminatory landlords. "The market is open" means you may make whatever offer you want to the owner of the property you are after, and their word is the only thing which permits it.

"Their word" shouldn't be the only thing permitting the sale of something; laws about how that person sells the object, in this case an apartment for rent, are in place to stop discriminatory or mishandled sales.

If you enact legally sponsored discrimination against certain religious beliefs, by announcing that conservative Christians do not have property rights, you create problems far worse than the issue that an occasional conservative Christian makes an a** of himself.

Who said it is limited to conservative Christians? It would extend to all landlords, regardless of what they believe or who they are (on the basis of what their financial situation is, whether they can legally rent out something, etc.). Discriminatory practices that extend outside of financial or legal issues should be overseen, regardless of whether or not it is "private property." When you put your property out on the market for rent or sale, that sale is in the public arena; the government can oversee the sale to keep it fair for all those that wish to take advantage of the opportunity.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 4:15:06 PM
At 7/29/2009 4:08:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/29/2009 3:58:06 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

"Their word" shouldn't be the only thing permitting the sale of something
Of their property?

laws about how that person sells the object in this case an apartment for rent, are in place to stop discriminatory or mishandled sales.
Otherwise known as "We should take it from the owners without permission!"

Who said it is limited to conservative Christians? It would extend to all landlords, regardless of what they believe or who they are (on the basis of what their financial situation is, whether they can legally rent out something, etc.).
That's like saying prohibiting gay marriage isn't discrimination against gays because they can still marry the opposite sex. If you determine by law only one model of business to be acceptable, you discriminate against all those who would choose to act differently.

Discriminatory practices that extend outside of financial or legal issues should be overseen, regardless of whether or not it is "private property." When you put your property out on the market for rent or sale, that sale is in the public arena
"Property in the public arena" is a contradiction in terms. Property is by definition exclusive.

the government can oversee the sale to keep it fair for all those that wish to take advantage of the opportunity.
Keep it "Fair" for all those except the one who worked for the property, for a specific goal, which may be money, or may be providing help to those with similar beliefs, or some combination of the two. Huh, very fair, to be concerned in the allocation of a good with everyone except the one who made it :)
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 4:36:11 PM
At 7/29/2009 4:15:06 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Of their property?

Yes, of their property. As I said; once the sale is promoted in the public sphere, the sale ceases to just be property, and instead becomes apart of the market, a market subject to regulation in order to provide fair opportunity to everyone that takes advantage of it.

No; otherwise known as "we should make it available to all that wish to buy it!"

Who said it is limited to conservative Christians? It would extend to all landlords, regardless of what they believe or who they are (on the basis of what their financial situation is, whether they can legally rent out something, etc.).
That's like saying prohibiting gay marriage isn't discrimination against gays because they can still marry the opposite sex. If you determine by law only one model of business to be acceptable, you discriminate against all those who would choose to act differently.

There is no discrimination against homosexuals that want to marry the opposite sex; the availability and legality is there, because the government does not discriminate against it because it conforms to their laws. Marital discrimination against homosexuals occurs when they wish to marry the same sex because they don't fit the government's laws.

The same applies to the sale of this apartment. There is no discrimination against prospective buyers when they fit the landlord's ideals, as it is available. Discrimination occurs against prospective buyers when they wish to buy the apartment but don't conform to the landlord's ideals.

It does not apply to the landlord though, as the landlord purposely put their apartment on sale in the public market, which is available to all prospective buyers.
Had the landlord kept it a private sale, intended for a specific person, then the government doesn't (or shouldn't) discriminate against that landlord's choice, because it is private.

"Property in the public arena" is a contradiction in terms. Property is by definition exclusive.

Property is; the sale of property is not, unless intended for a specific individual.

Keep it "Fair" for all those except the one who worked for the property, for a specific goal, which may be money, or may be providing help to those with similar beliefs, or some combination of the two. Huh, very fair, to be concerned in the allocation of a good with everyone except the one who made it :)

If the landlord's only purpose was to gain money, then to discriminate based on belief doesn't make sense towards that goal. If the landlord's purpose was to gain money and/or serve a specific person with specific beliefs, then a private sale intended directly towards that individual makes sense, and is legal.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 4:44:55 PM
At 7/29/2009 4:36:11 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/29/2009 4:15:06 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Of their property?

Yes, of their property. As I said; once the sale is promoted in the public sphere, the sale ceases to just be property
And what if it isn't promoted in the public sphere? What if it's offered conditionally, to only a subsection of the market?

and instead becomes apart of the market
The market is nothing but just property and it's owners.

a market subject to regulation
If it is regulation, it ceases to be a market insofar as there is regulation. The term "Market" refers to wholly voluntary exchanges.

No; otherwise known as "we should make it available to all that wish to buy it!"
Without the owner's permission :).

There is no discrimination against homosexuals that want to marry the opposite sex; the availability and legality is there, because the government does not discriminate against it because it conforms to their laws. Marital discrimination against homosexuals occurs when they wish to marry the same sex because they don't fit the government's laws.
That's just it. Neither does the conservative Christian.

It does not apply to the landlord though, as the landlord purposely put their apartment on sale in the public market
There is no such thing as a public market. The market is a sum of all things private, to introduce "publicness" (i.e. force), is to create something other than a market.

Had the landlord kept it a private sale, intended for a specific person, then the government doesn't (or shouldn't) discriminate against that landlord's choice, because it is private.

Property is; the sale of property is not, unless intended for a specific individual.
So it's either one individual or be a common carrier? You can't offer it for sale for two individuals, or three, or all who meet some criteria of your choosing? :)

If the landlord's only purpose was to gain money, then to discriminate based on belief doesn't make sense towards that goal. If the landlord's purpose was to gain money and/or serve a specific person with specific beliefs, then a private sale intended directly towards that individual makes sense, and is legal.
You're missing something, the case (presumably, we haven't tested it by actually asking these landlords), is a NONSPECIFIC person with specific beliefs.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2009 4:49:33 PM
Alrighty....

This is the only place we can rent for several reasons -- it is the best for us financially, it is the best for us to even be able to keep our two pets, and it is the best for us as it is the closest thing we can get to campus.

Therefore, we lie. Big deal. They'll never find out.

As long as they think we are straight Christians, they will be happy. Ignorance is bliss, aye?

Hmmm... Free love, L? lol, I don't know about you, but I don't turn into a hippie when drunk :p