Jump to topic:

The stages of life....... of people on DDO

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 6:45:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I wanted to type this out for some time now and now that I finally finished my calculus final I have the time to do this now.

There are 3 main stages of life on DDO, and just about everybody goes through them at one point or another, some do it faster than others, others jump back and forth between two stages, sometimes people are stuck in between. This is my philosophy about the life roles people play on DDO

Stage 1: The debater

99% of people come to this site by coming across debates, or googling debate, or something else and when we get here, most of us immediately dive into debating. DDO when you first get here is such a neat site because you can test your knowledge and opinions against other people. Its fun for new people, to be able to test your knowledge, or see an angle you havent seen before to an argument, or to simply make your point and have it be heard by others. It is quite a drug, but it is just a phase.

After a while though, say 2-4 months, maybe longer, people arent as enthusiastic about debating anymore. Why does this happen? When people first come here, they are always up to the challenge to put their ideas and opinions on the line and test their knowledge, but as debaters become more seasoned people are less inclined to start debates, because they have already formed a concrete opinion about most of their cherished opinions and stances on issues. These seasoned debaters will debate new members who have opposing view points, but there comes a time when debaters become less open minded and do not make debates as much as they used to. This is the closure of the first stage and the point where many noob debaters leave DDO, however the smart ones and the seasoned ones who are hungry for knowledge do not leave, instead they transition to the next stage.

Stage 2: The forum poster

After people grow out of their debater phase, they transition into a forum poster, where people spend more time on the forums giving input in threads here and there rather then try to start debates or participate in them. Being a forum poster though can last much longer then being a debater, and the biggest reason is summarized by one word, mafia.

Seasoned debaters over time become well acquainted with other debaters as time passes, and they soon spend more time chatting with them rather then racking up wins in debates ir putting their own beliefs up for a challenge. At this point people most people fall into a mafia addiction to feed their new desire to socialize with people they know here on DDO, others become forum posters to defend their views outside of a debate setting or just provide input into discussions. This is more addictive because people transition from testing their knowledge in a battle arena like a gladiator, to feeling like a member of an intelligent gathering of people questioning all aspects of society, much like a Socratic society. Being part of something greater than yourself and providing valuable input into such a thing is a far more addicting drug then the gladiator in a ring fighting for what you believe in scenario.

Over time though people soon distance themselves from the forums. Topics become repetitive, outdated, and previous information in other arguments are lost as new generations start discussing the same issues. Suddenly the drug of being part of something bigger becomes teaching a class that wont listen as you restate information you have already mentioned before, but have to do it over and over due to the repetitive cycle of topics to discuss. The addictivenes now becomes a depressant, and people who lived off of forums now have grown out of this phase. At this point a few go back to debating and start the cycle again, but most of them enter the final phase.

Stage 3: the legend

Those who are seasoned debaters or forum posters who tire from both by this point are very well known and probably respected by others. But people who are legends often have moved long past their debating phase and are less and less seen in the forums, or anywhere online for that matter. At this point the person has become a legend through their personality, opinions, history, or some combination of the three. But fame isnt enough for people to stay on this site forever, and soon people begin to take longer and longer breaks from DDO. Then they simply are never heard from again. Some people announce retirement, others simply leave the site and are never heard from again.

Those are the three phases on life on DDO, and although some people never go through them all, and others that do never take the same path as anyone else, they are still the three phases that people go through. You cant plan out how to go through them, but you can still control how people remember you at least.

Thanks for reading :D

- Imabench
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 6:49:54 PM
Well done.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 6:53:26 PM
I think of myself as a new legend cause im actually pretty well known by the active members of DDO. Im known for like so many things here lol. One would be my incredible tan lines. ;)
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 6:56:39 PM
Thanks guys :D
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 6:58:05 PM
At 5/2/2012 6:53:26 PM, kyro90 wrote:
I think of myself as a new legend cause im actually pretty well known by the active members of DDO. Im known for like so many things here lol. One would be my incredible tan lines. ;)

... you think you're a legend? You misunderstand who that means. That's people like Ann, and PoeJoe, and Danielle, and Matt, and Askbob, and Cody (who came back) and Bluesteel (mostly) and Korashk, and Rogue.

You're not at the legend stage yet.

And I definitely skipped the debating portion. I'm not even really a forum poster. I got into Mafia for a while, but I'll probably take a hiatus soon (the Zombie game looks too interesting) and in other threads I usually am not very argumentative (like Royal, DanT, JimTimmy, and the like who are obsessed with saving the world with their views). I guess I'm more like Freedo, but no where near as crazy.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 7:00:01 PM
At 5/2/2012 6:58:05 PM, M.Torres wrote:

... you think you're a legend? You misunderstand who that means. That's people like Ann, and PoeJoe, and Danielle, and Matt, and Askbob, and Cody (who came back) and Bluesteel (mostly) and Korashk, and Rogue.

And I definitely skipped the debating portion. I'm not even really a forum poster. I got into Mafia for a while, but I'll probably take a hiatus soon (the Zombie game looks too interesting) and in other threads I usually am not very argumentative (like Royal, DanT, JimTimmy, and the like who are obsessed with saving the world with their views). I guess I'm more like Freedo, but no where near as crazy.

most people reading this forum right now are in the forum poster phase.

kyro90
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 7:00:57 PM

I probobly did miss read it and wasnt reading to its fullest extent. Ill just take step two then.
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 7:01:01 PM
Personally I see myself as a stage two person who still has his left foot in stage one.

johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 7:01:51 PM
At 5/2/2012 7:01:01 PM, imabench wrote:
Personally I see myself as a stage two person who still has his left foot in stage one.

Of course it is a cracked scaly foot with a club and lives under a bridge.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 7:02:30 PM

Yeah, what M.Torres said. There are people like Roy (who is a legend, no matter what he says), Danielle, Bluesteel, PoeJoe, Cody who were here longer than you have and have earned much more respect than you have. They are far, far beyond you or I.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 7:06:49 PM
At 5/2/2012 7:01:51 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 5/2/2012 7:01:01 PM, imabench wrote:

Of course it is a cracked scaly foot with a club and lives under a bridge.

He likes the water!

Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 7:27:07 PM
Stage 4: Everyone dies, no one remembers anyone. The only thing anyone changed is KFC earning just a bit more than before the site was made.
kfc
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 8:13:58 PM
I am in the forum poster stage.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 8:14:49 PM
At 5/2/2012 8:13:58 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
I am in the forum poster stage.

When I first came here I never visited the forums for about 1 month and now I visit it every 30 minutes.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 8:18:44 PM
I am phase 1
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 8:33:43 PM

My zombie game?
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 9:50:49 PM
This seems somewhat accurate. I think it's different for people who did, and really enjoyed, real life debate. For me at least I know that debating is a passion of mine that will never go away, and this site is the best means to fulfill that.

"But thett, u rnt duing tons of deabt3s rite noa!111!!" Yeah, AP tests and finals.

But I agree with you for te most part bench, very well written :)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 10:31:11 PM
At 5/2/2012 9:50:49 PM, thett3 wrote:
This seems somewhat accurate. I think it's different for people who did, and really enjoyed, real life debate. For me at least I know that debating is a passion of mine that will never go away, and this site is the best means to fulfill that.

"But thett, u rnt duing tons of deabt3s rite noa!111!!" Yeah, AP tests and finals.

But I agree with you for te most part bench, very well written :)

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 10:37:29 PM
Agree with pretty much all of it. Of course this makes it awkward for me since I'm fairly active in mafia and some of the other forums, as well as an active debater. I think I cut myself in half (without killing myself. I'm that skilled) and let one half fall in the first stage and let the other half fall in the second stage.

Either that or KFC.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 10:45:36 PM
You guys don't understand. Stage 1 and 2 can't be combined. If you think you're in the middle, you're in Stage 2.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 10:50:28 PM
At 5/2/2012 10:45:36 PM, M.Torres wrote:
You guys don't understand. Stage 1 and 2 can't be combined. If you think you're in the middle, you're in Stage 2.

But I haven't given up on debating. I still do it quite often. But I'm also on the forums a lot. So how can I be in 2 when I still meet the qualifications for 1
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 11:24:19 PM
Well said.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 11:22:45 AM
At 5/2/2012 10:45:36 PM, M.Torres wrote:

theyre arent completely divided into 2, some people are active in the forums but still start debates. if you accept debates only, then your in phase 2, but people who still start debates are thus partially in phase 1. Zaradi qualifies as this because I have seen him start debates "In LD style" recently so he definitely qualifies as someone who is quite a bit into phase 2 but still has a tie to phase 1