I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
==================================================
Analysis:
Robert Frost heard two people discussing whether the earth would end in fire or end in ice. So, he decided to write a poem on the subject. His grasp of the world of ideas is similar to a second grade student discussing the subtleties of 19th century French literature with his classmates: inane. Contrary to his last name, Frost speculates that it is more likely that the earth will end in fire, because of his sexual exploits that involved Tiger Balm, a heating substance employing menthol and camphor. He then uses his keen intellect in the conjecture that the next time the world ends, ice will end it, which also makes no sense. He also creates a metaphor between ice and hate; this is because Frost had a group of rental properties which he lent to tenants for several years. For the first few years, things were going great. So, he decided to go to French riviera on vacation for a few months. When he returned, his properties were littered with trash, needles, and the smell of pungent cat urine. His rentals had been overrun with meth junkies and chemists who turned the properties into giant meth-lab-complexes with multiple floors of efficient drug delivery systems and mass production floors. Since Frost can't just plainly state what he thinks about ideas, he said, "I hate ice," when he meant that he hated meth and methheads. The world will still continue regardless of the ice or fire content on its surface. Even when plants, animals, fungi, bacteria, etc. are all dead, the world will still continue spinning with the same level of apathy it held since the beginning of time.

Explication:
Robert Frost was probably suffering from his mental illness, because this poem has absolutely no literal or metaphorical meaning whatsoever. He said that destruction by ice was also satisfactory. The only meaning that this poem could convey is the false dichotomy fallacy which it exhibits quite readily. There aren't just two possibilities for the end of the earth: a meteor could throw earth off its axis into a black hole, the EMP pulses from nebulas could exterminate all life on earth, or Mohammad could come back and rescue us all and then do his zombie magic.

Personal feeling:
This poem makes me feel like punching Robert Frost's pony repeatedly in the face. He disregards other possibilities for the end of the earth to comment on a deep subject like a simpleton. He doesn't deserve to be held in high esteem, if his worth was based solely on this poem. I am filled with outrage and vexation because of this terrible poem.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 9:19:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Woah, nice, much better than me
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 5:44:25 PM
I guess no one likes poetry, since rap music started with their hipping and a hopping and a bipping and a bopping.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 11:08:22 PM
At 5/4/2012 10:44:35 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
assuming this is a joke because whilst humourous is terrble analyiss of poem?

Yes?
Debate.org Moderator
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 11:11:42 PM
While I am no true expert in analyzing poetry--though I've been lauded for my analytical power, I do have to contend, most seriously, that you presented a work of great vigor and strength.....for the eyes of a five year old.;P
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 11:17:49 PM
At 5/4/2012 11:08:22 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 5/4/2012 10:44:35 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
assuming this is a joke because whilst humourous is terrble analyiss of poem?

Yes?

im dunk