What the heck is goin on with me!!!

studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 8:49:30 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I need some guidance.

I am about to enter my junior year of high school. For my entire life, I have greatly excelled in academics and athletics. But since the summer started, I have noticed so many things about my personality that really scare me.

I got really depressed and had suicidal thoughts. I get really angry for no apparent reason, and when this happens, I start shaking and want to grasp something and squeeze it endlessly. I feel no motivation to do anything at all. I don't feel like doing any outside activities that I used to adore doing. I never even look at my summer homework assignments. I don't care about anything anymore, and it is really pissing me off, scaring me, and can ruin my future. Plus, every time I'm in public, I mentally criticize everyone for being things like overweight or homosexual, but I honestly don't try to do it. I can't even express my thoughts or feelings to anyone.

I'm not myself anymore. I'm even questioning my faith. I get so anxious about things that my whole body shivers. I hunch over when my body trembles, and my belly button is not in the center of my body anymore, it's more to the right.

I feel helpless and can't do anything. HELP!!!!!!!!!! ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my most important year, and I have nothing that I used to have. I am addicted to DDO so much I'm on it for hours a day.

I need to find my soul back, but I can't. I really need help and explanations. Is this simply puberty, or do I need to see a psychiatrist or something? Please, give advice.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 8:51:36 PM
I'm also staying up till like three in the morning every night for no reason. During the last school year, I did homework for around six hours a night and would finally finish at like 1:30 in the morning. I received a panic attack the night before an English mid-term. I'm sorry for the double post.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:05:19 PM
At 8/1/2009 8:49:30 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I need some guidance.

I am about to enter my junior year of high school. For my entire life, I have greatly excelled in academics and athletics. But since the summer started, I have noticed so many things about my personality that really scare me.

I got really depressed and had suicidal thoughts. I get really angry for no apparent reason, and when this happens, I start shaking and want to grasp something and squeeze it endlessly. I feel no motivation to do anything at all. I don't feel like doing any outside activities that I used to adore doing. I never even look at my summer homework assignments. I don't care about anything anymore, and it is really pissing me off, scaring me, and can ruin my future. Plus, every time I'm in public, I mentally criticize everyone for being things like overweight or homosexual, but I honestly don't try to do it. I can't even express my thoughts or feelings to anyone.

I'm not myself anymore. I'm even questioning my faith. I get so anxious about things that my whole body shivers. I hunch over when my body trembles, and my belly button is not in the center of my body anymore, it's more to the right.

This is my most important year, and I have nothing that I used to have. I am addicted to DDO so much I'm on it for hours a day.

I need to find my soul back, but I can't. I really need help and explanations. Is this simply puberty, or do I need to see a psychiatrist or something? Please, give advice.

Is this an honest post? Because if it is, I'll give an honest response.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:06:15 PM
Okay, first questions first. How far into puberty are you? Before/after growth spurt?
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:08:13 PM
At 8/1/2009 9:06:15 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Okay, first questions first. How far into puberty are you? Before/after growth spurt?

This is an honest post. Well, I've never really had a growth spurt. I just keep moving up slowly but consistently. I'm shy under 5'8 right now...
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:10:06 PM
Obviously I am no psychologist or psychiatrist but it sounds as though you have severe depression. You should seek attention for this from trained professionals as soon as possible. I would suggest trying a psychologist first to get a diagnosis. He will be able to give you further advice (like if you need to consider a psychiatrist who can prescribe medication).

Please please please do not make the mistake of thinking there is a fault in seeking professional assistance. They can help you. I would be inclined to think that with some help you will eventually grow out of it (many teens do).

As far as panic attacks are concerned. Are you concerned about it?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:11:13 PM
Describe your relationship with your elder family members, your siblings, and your closest friends. Talk about:

1. Respect and trust
2. How often you communicate
3. Depth of communication
4. How you view this person
5. How you think this person views you
6. The difference between how this person views you and who you really are.

studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:11:54 PM
At 8/1/2009 9:10:06 PM, JBlake wrote:
Obviously I am no psychologist or psychiatrist but it sounds as though you have severe depression. You should seek attention for this from trained professionals as soon as possible. I would suggest trying a psychologist first to get a diagnosis. He will be able to give you further advice (like if you need to consider a psychiatrist who can prescribe medication).

Please please please do not make the mistake of thinking there is a fault in seeking professional assistance. They can help you. I would be inclined to think that with some help you will eventually grow out of it (many teens do).

Yeah. Throughout this whole school year, I freaked about every single quiz, every single assignment and test. I got A's on almost all of them, but I kept worrying. I am a mess lmao
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:14:02 PM
At 8/1/2009 9:11:54 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/1/2009 9:10:06 PM, JBlake wrote:

Yeah. Throughout this whole school year, I freaked about every single quiz, every single assignment and test. I got A's on almost all of them, but I kept worrying. I am a mess lmao

Understand that panic attacks are different than general anxiety, and the response to each is different. Do you have full-blown panic attacks to each of those, or is it anxiety?
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:16:39 PM
At 8/1/2009 9:14:02 PM, JBlake wrote:

Understand that panic attacks are different than general anxiety, and the response to each is different. Do you have full-blown panic attacks to each of those, or is it anxiety?

This may help you determine if it anxiety or panic attacks:

DSM-IV Diagnostic Criteria for Panic Attack

A discrete period of intense fear or discomfort, in which four (or more) of the following symptoms developed abruptly and reached a peak within 10 minutes:

* Palpitations, pounding heart, or accelerated heart rate

* Sweating

* Trembling or shaking

* Sensations of shortness of breath or smothering

* Feeling of choking

* Chest pain or discomfort

* Nausea or abdominal distress

* Feeling dizzy, unsteady, lightheaded, or faint

* Derealization (feelings of unreality) or depersonalization (being detached from oneself)

* Fear of losing control or going crazy

* Fear of dying

* Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations)

* Chills or hot flashes
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:20:50 PM
At 8/1/2009 9:11:13 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Describe your relationship with your elder family members, your siblings, and your closest friends. Talk about:

1. Respect and trust
2. How often you communicate
3. Depth of communication
4. How you view this person
5. How you think this person views you
6. The difference between how this person views you and who you really are.

I will do just that:

1. Dad- respect him for his work and "love", but the trust is a balancing act
Mom- respect her a lot and trust her most of time- I LOVE her
Sis- barely any respect b/c she hates me and no trust
Bro- some respect but little trust
Friends- make fun of me, not too much trust or respect

2. D&M- (Dad and Mom)- Not often. I do not really open up.
S&B- (Sis and Bro)- Sis-never. Bro- we hang some times but no real talking
F- (Friends) At school we do, but not really during summer

3. D&M- Not deep. Maybe one deep conversation once a month.
S&B- really no depth.
F- not real depth unless about schoolwork.

4. D&M- Love them to death, but for some reason I question my D b/c he yells a lot
S- extremely cruel.
B- awesome little guy.
F- cool some times, stupid other times.

5. D&M- smart but troubled.
S- like an inmature loser.
B- like a role model.
F- wise a** who feels superior to others.

6. I don't know who I am anymore. I have no self-confidence. So....
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:22:33 PM
Did a girlfriend break up with you?

This is not meant to be insensitive or mocking. It's a serious question.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:23:49 PM
At 8/1/2009 9:16:39 PM, JBlake wrote:
At 8/1/2009 9:14:02 PM, JBlake wrote:

This may help you determine if it anxiety or panic attacks:

DSM-IV Diagnostic Criteria for Panic Attack

A discrete period of intense fear or discomfort, in which four (or more) of the following symptoms developed abruptly and reached a peak within 10 minutes:

* Palpitations, pounding heart, or accelerated heart rate

* Sweating

* Trembling or shaking

* Sensations of shortness of breath or smothering

* Feeling of choking

* Chest pain or discomfort

* Nausea or abdominal distress

* Feeling dizzy, unsteady, lightheaded, or faint

* Derealization (feelings of unreality) or depersonalization (being detached from oneself)

* Fear of losing control or going crazy

* Fear of dying

* Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations)

* Chills or hot flashes

It was only once when it lasted over ten minutes-and that was for the mid-term. Most times, I tremble, shake, hunch over, keep shaking, tighten the abs and chest, feel like I cannot breathe, and this happens at least once a day but for only like 30 seconds.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:26:00 PM
At 8/1/2009 9:22:33 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:

No. Like I said, I have low self-confidence and haven't had a gf for a long time. Last year this girl liked me for the whole year, but I'd find an excuse not to commit-I've been doing that a lot lately, and I don't know why, I just don't want to embarass myself
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:31:13 PM
At 8/1/2009 9:23:49 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

It was only once when it lasted over ten minutes-and that was for the mid-term. Most times, I tremble, shake, hunch over, keep shaking, tighten the abs and chest, feel like I cannot breathe, and this happens at least once a day but for only like 30 seconds.

This sounds very similar to a panic disorder (I had a panic disorder in my mid-teens into early twenties). One possibility could be that you have a panic disorder which oftentimes leads teens to become depressed. Both of these should be treated with Behavior Therapy. The good news with panic disorder is that it is very treatable. I would suggest looking at some websites that talk about it and see if it makes sense to you.

With panic disorder, identifying the issue is a huge step. I know for me, once I figured out what it was I was very relieved and rejuvenated.

One further question: Do you find yourself avoiding situations which have set off attacks in the past? Does going into a situation that has cause an attack in the past make your anxiety level rise?
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:31:40 PM
Without risk there is no chance to succeed either.

In basketball there's a lot higher of a percentage to make a shot if you shoot rather than not =)
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:32:30 PM
At 8/1/2009 9:26:00 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 8/1/2009 9:22:33 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:

No. Like I said, I have low self-confidence and haven't had a gf for a long time. Last year this girl liked me for the whole year, but I'd find an excuse not to commit-I've been doing that a lot lately, and I don't know why, I just don't want to embarass myself

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but everything you say sounds like you are a perfect candidate for Behavioral Therapy. Based on the things you have said, I think Behavioral Therapy would be quite successful.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:40:41 PM
At 8/1/2009 9:31:13 PM, JBlake wrote:
At 8/1/2009 9:23:49 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

One further question: Do you find yourself avoiding situations which have set off attacks in the past? Does going into a situation that has cause an attack in the past make your anxiety level rise?

YEs!!! One instance is, in the sixth grade, I was invited to a party where I knew no one-it was a party with all the popular kids in my grade. It wasn't like I was a loner or anything, but I'm pretty shy. I was forced to go because the kid who had the bday was a neighbor. At the party, no one would even look at me and I just sat in a chair all by myself for over three hours. Every time I get invited by actual friends to do something, I make up an excuse not to go- b/c I never want to feel that humiliation again. I get really embarassed and self-conscious about myself.

I just worry that the psychiatrist will be a waste of time. I'm at the top of my class- why should I? I just can't believe this is happening to me...
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:42:10 PM
At 8/1/2009 9:31:40 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:

In basketball there's a lot higher of a percentage to make a shot if you shoot rather than not =)

Yea, but if you never take the risk, you never get the pain that goes with the longball.
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:46:31 PM
At 8/1/2009 9:42:10 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Yea, but if you never take the risk, you never get the pain that goes with the longball.

Nor the pride of hitting a shot =)
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:49:41 PM
At 8/1/2009 9:40:41 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

I just worry that the psychiatrist will be a waste of time. I'm at the top of my class- why should I? I just can't believe this is happening to me...

That would be a huge mistake. Therapy can be a lot more helpful than you think. If you do go, try to go with an open mind, even the smartest people can use some help sometimes. It can sometimes be benefitial to get different perspectives.

Like I said, Panic disorder has a very high successful treatment rate (in the 90%s). General Anxiety also has a high success rate. This may also help with what seems to be a depression brought on by anxiety (or panic disorder, if that is indeed what you have). If you treat the anxiety, you will likely also see a lot of improvement in depression. If you take care of both of these, you will enjoy the things you used to enjoy again, &ct.

In short, I highly recommend you find a psychologist who specializes in Behavioral Therapy.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:50:43 PM
At 8/1/2009 9:46:31 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:

Yeah, but hot streaks always go cold and turn into droughts. I play basketball, and I have an easier chance of hitting a half-court shot (which I can actually hit about 25% of the time) than bangin a girl. I find it funny that I'm talking to a fellow Christian about girls. Are u waiting till marriage?
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:51:39 PM
I need some guidance.

I wouldn't presume to comment on your own personal situation but I remember having similar feelings when I was a teenager.

While I had fantastic highs, I was normally sunk in the depths of depression. I now realise it was due to hormonal changes, but anyway, I got over it with time and my mental equilibrium was eventually restored.

That said, there is nothing wrong with questioning your faith and as far as mental criticism of homosexuals and overweight people is concerned, that is a perfectly natural reaction to people that do not conform to your conception of the human ideal. Those feelings will probably always be with you, but you must, and I'm sure will, learn that everybody is built differently and that they deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, unless, of course, they fail to extend the same courtesies to you!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:52:29 PM
At 8/1/2009 9:49:41 PM, JBlake wrote:
At 8/1/2009 9:40:41 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

That would be a huge mistake. Therapy can be a lot more helpful than you think. If you do go, try to go with an open mind, even the smartest people can use some help sometimes. It can sometimes be benefitial to get different perspectives.

Like I said, Panic disorder has a very high successful treatment rate (in the 90%s). General Anxiety also has a high success rate. This may also help with what seems to be a depression brought on by anxiety (or panic disorder, if that is indeed what you have). If you treat the anxiety, you will likely also see a lot of improvement in depression. If you take care of both of these, you will enjoy the things you used to enjoy again, &ct.

In short, I highly recommend you find a psychologist who specializes in Behavioral Therapy.

Would it take a chunk of my time? B/c I have a lot of hw assignments to do. Is there any chance I can get out of this slump on my own?
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:54:20 PM
At 8/1/2009 9:51:39 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I need some guidance.

I wouldn't presume to comment on your own personal situation but I remember having similar feelings when I was a teenager.

While I had fantastic highs, I was normally sunk in the depths of depression. I now realise it was due to hormonal changes, but anyway, I got over it with time and my mental equilibrium was eventually restored.

That said, there is nothing wrong with questioning your faith and as far as mental criticism of homosexuals and overweight people is concerned, that is a perfectly natural reaction to people that do not conform to your conception of the human ideal. Those feelings will probably always be with you, but you must, and I'm sure will, learn that everybody is built differently and that they deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, unless, of course, they fail to extend the same courtesies to you!

Yeah, I'll be really excited for one minute, and then really depressed. This year will be the most important for me, and I need to get better fast. Thanks for the input.
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:56:34 PM
At 8/1/2009 9:50:43 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Yeah, but hot streaks always go cold and turn into droughts. I play basketball, and I have an easier chance of hitting a half-court shot (which I can actually hit about 25% of the time) than bangin a girl. I find it funny that I'm talking to a fellow Christian about girls. Are u waiting till marriage?

Thus far i have, and plan to. But I still date a lot.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:57:01 PM
At 8/1/2009 9:52:29 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Would it take a chunk of my time? B/c I have a lot of hw assignments to do. Is there any chance I can get out of this slump on my own?

It certainly is possible to do it on your own, but I wouldn't recommend trying to without first consulting a psychologist. At least get a diagnosis so that you have a better idea of what it is you are dealing with.

As far as time, most people go for an hour-long session once a week. If you wanted more often you could go twice a week. The point is, it does not take up too much of your time.

It is worth it to repeat that you should get a diagnosis before even considering whether you should attempt to deal with it on your own.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 9:57:43 PM
At 8/1/2009 9:56:34 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
At 8/1/2009 9:50:43 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Thus far i have, and plan to. But I still date a lot.

Congrats. Are you broke yet?