Jump to topic:

Nature Notes

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2009 11:15:10 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Do you have any wildlife living around you?

When I am on my boat, there are plenty of waterfowl: swans, ducks, herons, cormorants, moorhens, seagulls and my favourite, coots.

http://smbasblog.files.wordpress.com...

Coots are very quarrelsome birds by nature but the other morning, at about this time (7 am.), there was an almighty commotion going on outside in the marina. This was more than the usual squabble and I looked out through my cabin porthole to see two males actually fighting beak to beak.

When I get up and open the doors onto the aft deck, I am usually greeted by the couple of coots (who nest on an artificial raft of vegetation a neighbouring berth-holder constructed for them) because I am in the habit of feeding them bread for their breakfasts. However, that morning, no such greeting was forthcoming.

When I ventured out onto the pontoon I discovered that my coots had been evicted from their nest and another couple of coots had taken their place. However, they had a chick with them.

I felt sorry for my old feathered friends but I suppose the new birds' need was greater than theirs because of their chick. I was relieved to find, a few days later, to that my old friends had made a new nest further along the pontoon. The only trouble is that they had made it on the swim platform of a Sunseeker sports cruiser, which luckily the owner doesn't use very often because they are a protected species and to disturb their nest by moving his boat would be illegal!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2009 3:53:27 AM
The only wildlife I have is some crazy cats a woman down the road keeps. You know how difficult it is to shoo them at the second floor window away from my Dads petunias whilst not being noticed by neighbours?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2009 9:57:49 AM
There is a nasty gang of foxes that lives down my road, they come out at night and skulk about. leaving cigarette butts and broken Stella bottles behind!
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2009 10:09:21 AM
Wildlife is more and more rare around here unfortunately thanks to overdevelopment. :( We get occasional deer defoliating the neighbor's apple trees and shrubbery, there are quite a few active coyotes filling the night with their song (which I love but unfortunately others don't). My sister's place, a dozen miles closer to Mt. Rainier, has been frequented by large herds of elk, very majestic!

We have mostly crows these days in terms of large birds. There used to be a few bald eagle nests around here, but unfortunately I haven't seen any eagles in awhile ... redtailed and redshouldered hawks, certainly, and a few magnificent Great Blue Herons. A good plethora of hummingbirds frequent the feeder here, and a pair of sparrows has taken up residence in a birdhouse on our property.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2009 10:12:17 AM
At 8/3/2009 9:57:49 AM, Nik wrote:
There is a nasty gang of foxes that lives down my road, they come out at night and skulk about. leaving cigarette butts and broken Stella bottles behind!

How dreadful? Where do you live? You should really have the cops do more regular patrols.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2009 1:59:20 PM
At 8/3/2009 9:57:49 AM, Nik wrote:

http://www.cartoonstock.com...

Urban foxes. Don't mess with them!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...