Jump to topic:

DDO's Dictionary

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 11:18:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This thread was patterned after Ambrose Bierce's "The Devil's Dictionary" that offers reinterpretations of words through satirical lenses. For example, a conservative is defined, rather humorously, as "A statesman who is enamoured of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others".

You can post definitions for members (MIG-A swan who looks too much in the sky to know that her eggs have cracked under her...soothing weight) [you can mix satire--not overt criticism and disdain--with respect or sympathy], terms on DDO, phenomena (trolling, flame wars, and so forth), etc.

Have fun!
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 11:20:59 PM
At 5/17/2012 11:18:18 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
This thread was patterned after Ambrose Bierce's "The Devil's Dictionary" that offers reinterpretations of words through satirical lenses. For example, a conservative is defined, rather humorously, as "A statesman who is enamoured of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others".

You can post definitions for members (MIG-A swan who looks too much in the sky to know that her eggs have cracked under her...soothing weight) [you can mix satire--not overt criticism and disdain--with respect or sympathy], terms on DDO, phenomena (trolling, flame wars, and so forth), etc.

Have fun!

Criticism: Something that you should threaten suicide over, leave, then come back, then report the person.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2012 11:31:58 PM
Debate: A period of periodicity, where Juno finds a lock to grace herself and maids play with tank tops.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 8:58:51 PM
Bump.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 11:05:40 PM
Troll: A person who is a complete idiot who degrades the site and should be kicked off immediately unless his name is imabench for reasons not fully understood
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 11:07:07 PM
At 5/20/2012 11:05:40 PM, imabench wrote:
Troll: A person who is a complete idiot who degrades the site and should be kicked off immediately unless his name is imabench for reasons not fully understood

Imabench: A person who always writes the opposite of the truth, and should be banned immediately for reasons fully understood.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush