Jump to topic:

In the name of Equality..

haley.debate20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 9:52:05 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
How do feel about the stereotype "Emo", what do you think it stands for..blah blah blah. I want to know your opinions.
Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent."
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 9:55:22 AM
At 8/7/2009 9:52:05 AM, haley.debate20 wrote:
How do feel about the stereotype "Emo", what do you think it stands for..blah blah blah. I want to know your opinions.

I think the term "Emo" differs from the term "Goth." In my eyes, an "Emo" is one who has lost his/her place in the world and feels the need to create additional physical/emotional harm onto self. "Goth" is one who suffers from displacement and certain hatred towards others and uses dark music and clothes to express themselves.
haley.debate20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 9:59:08 AM
At 8/7/2009 9:55:22 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

I think the term "Emo" differs from the term "Goth." In my eyes, an "Emo" is one who has lost his/her place in the world and feels the need to create additional physical/emotional harm onto self. "Goth" is one who suffers from displacement and certain hatred towards others and uses dark music and clothes to express themselves.

Emo (in my opinion) is Emotional. Which is true, to some extent.. I am stereotyped as an emo everyday just because I wear skinny jeans, my hair is poofy and crazy, and I like listening to the music.
A lot of people will argue that Emos cut themselves and only want to die. However, that is not the case for a lot of us. We don't cut because we respect ourselves and our bodies. The way we dress is how we feel. It's just who are and it's how we feel comfy.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 10:00:34 AM

Sorry for the double post. I just wanted to say that I do not appreciate it when people stereotype against Emos and Goths. Their is usually a negative opinion held towards Emos and Goths, but I know many of them to be nice, caring people. (who may have a couple of issues, but that is besides the point)
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 10:03:15 AM
At 8/7/2009 9:59:08 AM, haley.debate20 wrote:

Emo (in my opinion) is Emotional. Which is true, to some extent.. I am stereotyped as an emo everyday just because I wear skinny jeans, my hair is poofy and crazy, and I like listening to the music.
A lot of people will argue that Emos cut themselves and only want to die. However, that is not the case for a lot of us. We don't cut because we respect ourselves and our bodies. The way we dress is how we feel. It's just who are and it's how we feel comfy.

I understand. I don't know many devout Christians who are Emo, so I don't exactly know what they pick up from you to label you like that. Do you wear dark clothes with black eye shadow and mascara?
asiansarentnerdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 10:29:07 AM
I don't think that stereotypes are true at all...(asians are nerdy..lol), but a video on YouTube comes to mind by nigahiga, which got took down due to copyright: "How to be Emo."

"E is for emotional, ruins everybody's day
M is for miserable people
O is for on the dark side, cuz we have cookies, cookies!"

^ Thats from their vid.
I'm asian.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 10:48:21 AM
It's just a fashion statement, another sub-culture. To me it's no big deal. If I'd had move confidence back in my youth I probably would have been a Goth. Emo came later and seems similar, Emo is almost a mix of indie and goth... isn't it? Well I am too old to know, and not cool enough to care!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 11:17:17 AM
I find emos one of the less respectable cultures. They are depressed, but the only thing they want to do is show everyone else that they're depressed. For me, depression is more or less the same thing as pain - your body is telling you that you have a problem. Let's use a toothache for an example. When you get a toothache, what do you do? Well, you go see a doctor, and you go see what the hell is up, and you either get something done about it or get it removed.

Essentially, emos are just parading their toothache. This, to me, does not particularly make much sense. I'm generally a problem solving guy, and since depression is a problem, I would work towards a solution. So when I see emos, it just blows me away how people like this can exist. They realize that they have a problem, but they don't attempt to solve it!

I don't have ties with emos; I get irritated with them really quickly and I bring about a direct confrontation. I ask them, "Are you going to do something about your being depressed, or not?". If they answer yes, then I try my best to help them. If they answer no or are obviously attempting to not progress when I am trying to help them, then I cut them off. I really don't have the luxury or the intention of being infected by those who can't be consistent.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 11:23:13 AM
I did not think that Emo's were actually depressed, merely that they affected the fashion of depression and melancholia.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 11:29:59 AM

That is because you are not emo. You are a hipter. I don't really know which is worse.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 11:47:28 AM
At 8/7/2009 11:29:59 AM, JBlake wrote:

That is because you are not emo. You are a hipter. I don't really know which is worse.

I dont know what a hipter is but I can't see anything wrong with a little bit of self-expression.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 12:19:05 PM
I don't mind goths, but I don't like emos.

Goths have a good amount of friends and like to associate with people. Emos hate people and always talk about how their life s*cks.
haley.debate20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2009 9:40:35 AM
At 8/7/2009 10:29:07 AM, asiansarentnerdy wrote:
I don't think that stereotypes are true at all...(asians are nerdy..lol), but a video on YouTube comes to mind by nigahiga, which got took down due to copyright: "How to be Emo."

"E is for emotional, ruins everybody's day
M is for miserable people
O is for on the dark side, cuz we have cookies, cookies!"

^ Thats from their vid.

I've watched all of nigahiga's movies and they ROCK!!
haley.debate20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2009 9:42:11 AM
At 8/7/2009 10:03:15 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

I understand. I don't know many devout Christians who are Emo, so I don't exactly know what they pick up from you to label you like that. Do you wear dark clothes with black eye shadow and mascara?

--Really it's only because I dress differently than everybody else. I wear black (sometimes) and I do that crazy poof, which they believe is an emo thing. And just because a girl that dresses like that AND listens to heavy metal instead of High School Musical, they think I'm emo.
haley.debate20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2009 9:44:39 AM

((Please excuse me for all the posts I am putting, I can't remember everything and everybody, so i'm just replying to them seperatly))

I don't understand fully what you mean that I am a hipter?
--I also find it stupid that you can stereotype me without even knowing me.
Chuckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2009 9:58:51 AM
At 8/8/2009 9:44:39 AM, haley.debate20 wrote:

((Please excuse me for all the posts I am putting, I can't remember everything and everybody, so i'm just replying to them seperatly))

i think he meant "hipster"
"Pumas are wretched beasts with enourmous salty genitals."-MadMonkey889

: At 5/5/2009 9:47:22 PM, rogerklotz wrote:
:That's obviously changed by the government. The Atlanteans probably had something to do with it.
: QUIT USING LOGIC

: At 4/25/2009 3:09:34 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
:God is GOING to have His way with you.
: At 5/5/2009 11:41:18 AM, Volkov wrote:
:When both sides can agree and disagree without someone quoting Proverbs, then the debate comes worthwhile
haley.debate20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2009 10:39:57 AM
At 8/8/2009 9:58:51 AM, Chuckles wrote:

--You are probably very right, I still believe him to be ignorant... Since I've been able to dress myself I have always dressed myself. I don't dress in one specific style, instead I create my own style.
--Who is to judge people by what they wear? Certainly not you.
bearsfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2009 1:12:46 PM
At 8/8/2009 10:39:57 AM, haley.debate20 wrote:

--You are probably very right, I still believe him to be ignorant... Since I've been able to dress myself I have always dressed myself. I don't dress in one specific style, instead I create my own style.

I frequently judge people by what they wear. I don't tell anyone about what I think, I just subconciously do. I'm sure all of you have done this at least once.
"I'd like to have more self esteem but I don't deserve it" - Woody Paige

"Some people have a way with words, others not have way" - Woody Paige

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be" - Woody Paige

"My French teacher is muy caliente!" - Woody Paige

"It's not rocket surgery" - Woody Paige

"I'm schizophrenic and so am I!" - Woody Paige
haley.debate20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2009 7:15:44 AM
At 8/8/2009 1:12:46 PM, bearsfan wrote:
At 8/8/2009 10:39:57 AM, haley.debate20 wrote:

I frequently judge people by what they wear. I don't tell anyone about what I think, I just subconciously do. I'm sure all of you have done this at least once.

--At least you admit to it. One of the girls I know from Honors World History II kept saying how much she hated stereotypes and labels. She just went on and on. Then one day a transfer student I knew came in wearing a polo and a nice khaki skirt. After Kelly saw her she started saying what a stuck up b*tch she looked like, and how she was a total prep. Ugh Ranters. I got so fed up with it, I called her out on everything and basically put her in her place. Needless to say, she doesn't talk to me anymore. :P