Jump to topic:

E-books suck. Yes, I said it.

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 10:07:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
When I read an E-book, I never get the same feeling I do from reading a real book. It's just looking at information! E-books cannot take you into the book and make you forget that the real world exists. Reading them is just an empty, soulless experience. And the biggest joke of all is that environmentalist crap people keep spewing.

Thoughts?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 10:18:59 AM
At 5/23/2012 10:07:03 AM, MouthWash wrote:
When I read an E-book, I never get the same feeling I do from reading a real book. It's just looking at information! E-books cannot take you into the book and make you forget that the real world exists. Reading them is just an empty, soulless experience. And the biggest joke of all is that environmentalist crap people keep spewing.

Thoughts?

There ought not to be a difference between the information presented in an e-book versus that in a regular book.

That having been said, I almost never read e-books. I find reading regular books to be a significantly better experience. It's much more aesthetically pleasing.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 10:48:55 AM

Thoughts?

I agree.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 11:58:40 AM

Thoughts?

I enjoy reading ebooks just as much as real books. I find the vicarious experiences are equivalent, and the emotional impact scarcely differs.

Advantages include lower prices per book, usually, and the ability to carry hundreds of books around with me without a massive mountain of boxes.

I do like the feel of a physical book, though, and the smell; and if I pay for something I'd rather actually have a physical object I can resell if I need the cash.

So I split the difference. I own 300+ real books, and who knows how many ebooks, and I'm happy with all of them.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 12:07:28 PM
At 5/23/2012 11:58:40 AM, Chrysippus wrote:

Thoughts?

I enjoy reading ebooks just as much as real books. I find the vicarious experiences are equivalent, and the emotional impact scarcely differs.

Advantages include lower prices per book, usually, and the ability to carry hundreds of books around with me without a massive mountain of boxes.

: I do like the feel of a physical book, though, and the smell; and if I pay for something I'd rather actually have a physical object I can resell if I need the cash.

So I split the difference. I own 300+ real books, and who knows how many ebooks, and I'm happy with all of them.

I agree. I like having a tangible object to trade with or sell to other students. I also like put sticky notes in my books as tabs or just random tid bits of information.
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 12:42:56 PM
The #1 problem I have with ebooks is the difficulty in jumping around a book. I read a lot of economics books, and it's next to impossible to leap to the index to research a topic. Also, you can't look ahead for where the next chapter begins.

The #1 awesome feature of ebooks is the flat, steady reading surface. I hate reading regular books because it's obnoxious holding the pages open, which requires bending the binding and physically holding the book open, then when you move to the next page, the process repeats. Ebooks eliminate this annoying feature of typical books.

Ebooks are also great for reducing book costs, self-publishing, and storing a variety of books on a lightweight device. [http://mises.org...]
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 3:00:54 PM
E-books are just the books.

I've read LOTR in print and e-book and guess what? They're both the same. They're all just words.

Navigating an ebook is difficult I give it that but outside of that one inconvenience they're the same as normal.

That's just me though. The way I read is eventually I don't see the words anymore, just the moving image in my head.
jedipengiun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 4:40:46 PM
I love the aestheticism when reading a book, I love the idea of building a library too! Imagine a library where it's just a single ebook on a shelf! No, it's no way near as good as books upon books upon shelves!
Things that make me happy!

: At 6/22/2012 1:46:11 PM, Kinesis wrote:
: Also, as an Englishman I'm obligated to be prejudiced against gingers and the French.

: At 8/27/2012 10:00:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
: Every self-respecting philosopher needs to smoke a pipe.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 6:00:23 PM
At 5/23/2012 4:40:46 PM, jedipengiun wrote:
I love the aestheticism when reading a book, I love the idea of building a library too! Imagine a library where it's just a single ebook on a shelf! No, it's no way near as good as books upon books upon shelves!

I like the idea that I can pick up my Kindle and say "What to read?" and have 50+ books ready right there and the option to buy any book I choose.

That is a neat idea and very useful.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 6:42:37 PM
I read the second Hunger Games book as a PDF on my phone. I didn't mind.

However, the biggest mistake I ever made was purchasing a textbook as an e-book. It's so much better having the actual textbook in your hand and being able to flip through pages, highlight important parts, handwrite notes in the margins or whatever, etc. Plus you only save like 40% and you get it for 6 months, whereas with an actual textbook, you can sell it back and it costs about the same.
yang.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2012 7:02:00 PM
I love ebooks; those are pretty much the only books I buy now. And I don't understand the complaints about navigability with ebooks...I have a kindle and it's a lot easier for me to navigate around the books. Plus I can search the books a lot more easier than with physical copies of the book (I love to look at footnotes and such it's cool because I can just click on the citation number it'll take me to the footnote). Those features and others (like inbuilt dictionaries and the like) and makes me think ebooks are golden.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 4:46:52 AM

Thoughts?

Lol, what?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 5:13:41 AM
Nope. Nope. Nope.

I love my Nook. Many books read upon it. I see no difference. I don't buy books to rub the pages all over me, I buy them to fucking read the book.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
jedipengiun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 11:42:46 AM
At 5/23/2012 6:00:23 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/23/2012 4:40:46 PM, jedipengiun wrote:

I like the idea that I can pick up my Kindle and say "What to read?" and have 50+ books ready right there and the option to buy any book I choose.

That is a neat idea and very useful.

I've never really looked as it as pragmatic really. I just think there's something magical about owning a book.

I think they ought to start selling books along with their ebooks, if they did that I'd probably buy a Kindle.
Things that make me happy!

: At 6/22/2012 1:46:11 PM, Kinesis wrote:
: Also, as an Englishman I'm obligated to be prejudiced against gingers and the French.

: At 8/27/2012 10:00:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
: Every self-respecting philosopher needs to smoke a pipe.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 12:23:45 PM
Tablets make ebook navigation easy, if not easier than actual books. Flipping pages in an actual book quickly loses its luster when the book gathers dust and takes up space in my room when I'm not reading them.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 1:51:07 PM
At 5/24/2012 5:13:41 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Nope. Nope. Nope.

I love my Nook. Many books read upon it. I see no difference. I don't buy books to rub the pages all over me, I buy them to fucking read the book.

But that's soulless
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 5:03:03 PM
At 5/24/2012 1:51:07 PM, Jon1 wrote:
At 5/24/2012 5:13:41 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Nope. Nope. Nope.

But that's soulless

BELIEVE IN THE HEART OF THE BOOKS, YUGI!
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 1:20:31 AM
It's very difficult to masturbate to ebooks. You can't even get like a sexy paper cut, or anything... total boner-kill.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.