Total Posts:32|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Odds

sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 5:46:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
In the beginning, the odds were 50/50 that anything could happen. With that said, shouldn't the universe be half filled with the first thing that happened?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 5:50:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What establishes the odds at 50/50?

It's not as though there is always an equal probability between the likeliness of yes and no, or will be and wont be.
Debate.org Moderator
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 12:47:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'd think that there would be so many possibilities of what could have occurred at the Universe's creation that the odds for any one event taking place would be infinitesimal.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 1:11:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The beginning of a universe is an event. An event presumes existence. Therefore a universe doesn't begin.

Existence exists. Existence always has existed. Existence always will exist.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 4:03:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/30/2012 1:11:15 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The beginning of a universe is an event. An event presumes existence. Therefore a universe doesn't begin.

Existence exists. Existence always has existed. Existence always will exist.

False. Entropy proves this theory wrong.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:40:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"odds" are a self-manifested mental construct imposed on the world through the human nervous system.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 1:01:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/30/2012 5:40:29 PM, FREEDO wrote:
"odds" are a self-manifested mental construct imposed on the world through the human nervous system.

Yes. True randomness does not exist.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 1:02:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 1:01:00 AM, MouthWash wrote:
At 5/30/2012 5:40:29 PM, FREEDO wrote:
"odds" are a self-manifested mental construct imposed on the world through the human nervous system.

Yes. True randomness does not exist.

Unless you are the dictator of DDO.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 1:06:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
lol
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 11:32:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/30/2012 4:03:35 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/30/2012 1:11:15 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The beginning of a universe is an event. An event presumes existence. Therefore a universe doesn't begin.

Existence exists. Existence always has existed. Existence always will exist.

False. Entropy proves this theory wrong.

Not if it's a temporary phenomena of cyclical explosions. Extrapolation is not necessarily justified good sir.

If you believe in incontrovertible entropy do you believe that God is dead, btw?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 11:55:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/29/2012 5:46:28 PM, sadolite wrote:
In the beginning, the odds were 50/50 that anything could happen. With that said, shouldn't the universe be half filled with the first thing that happened?

Lol, you know... clearly, you are smart enough to understand physics.

You're just do dogmatic to accept it.

Yes. The Universe is filled with the first thing that ever happened.

We call it the Big Bang. And it is still happening.

If it ever stops happening, the Universe won't exist anymore.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 12:00:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/30/2012 1:11:15 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The beginning of a universe is an event. An event presumes existence. Therefore a universe doesn't begin.

Existence exists. Existence always has existed. Existence always will exist.

Justification?
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 12:03:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/29/2012 5:46:28 PM, sadolite wrote:
In the beginning, the odds were 50/50 that anything could happen. With that said, shouldn't the universe be half filled with the first thing that happened?

You're either gay or not gay. Two options. Ergo there is a 50 percent chance you're gay!
westernmarch
Posts: 1,340
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 12:49:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 12:03:46 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/29/2012 5:46:28 PM, sadolite wrote:
In the beginning, the odds were 50/50 that anything could happen. With that said, shouldn't the universe be half filled with the first thing that happened?

You're either gay or not gay. Two options. Ergo there is a 50 percent chance you're gay!

This.

I believe gays make up 1/10 of American population.
.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 12:51:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 12:49:43 PM, westernmarch wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:03:46 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/29/2012 5:46:28 PM, sadolite wrote:
In the beginning, the odds were 50/50 that anything could happen. With that said, shouldn't the universe be half filled with the first thing that happened?

You're either gay or not gay. Two options. Ergo there is a 50 percent chance you're gay!

This.

I believe gays make up 1/10 of American population.

You mean you haven't conducted exhaustive empirical research to prove this?
westernmarch
Posts: 1,340
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 1:38:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 12:51:32 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:49:43 PM, westernmarch wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:03:46 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/29/2012 5:46:28 PM, sadolite wrote:
In the beginning, the odds were 50/50 that anything could happen. With that said, shouldn't the universe be half filled with the first thing that happened?

You're either gay or not gay. Two options. Ergo there is a 50 percent chance you're gay!

This.

I believe gays make up 1/10 of American population.

You mean you haven't conducted exhaustive empirical research to prove this?

I mean someone esle did it. I am probs wrong? what is the Ratio of homo/Heterosexual people.?
.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 1:40:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 1:38:04 PM, westernmarch wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:51:32 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:49:43 PM, westernmarch wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:03:46 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/29/2012 5:46:28 PM, sadolite wrote:
In the beginning, the odds were 50/50 that anything could happen. With that said, shouldn't the universe be half filled with the first thing that happened?

You're either gay or not gay. Two options. Ergo there is a 50 percent chance you're gay!

This.

I believe gays make up 1/10 of American population.

You mean you haven't conducted exhaustive empirical research to prove this?

I mean someone esle did it. I am probs wrong? what is the Ratio of homo/Heterosexual people.?

I think you're probably right.
westernmarch
Posts: 1,340
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 1:43:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 1:40:12 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/31/2012 1:38:04 PM, westernmarch wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:51:32 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:49:43 PM, westernmarch wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:03:46 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/29/2012 5:46:28 PM, sadolite wrote:
In the beginning, the odds were 50/50 that anything could happen. With that said, shouldn't the universe be half filled with the first thing that happened?

You're either gay or not gay. Two options. Ergo there is a 50 percent chance you're gay!

This.

I believe gays make up 1/10 of American population.

You mean you haven't conducted exhaustive empirical research to prove this?

I mean someone esle did it. I am probs wrong? what is the Ratio of homo/Heterosexual people.?

I think you're probably right.

Isn;'t there a Fallacy based on odds?
.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 8:04:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 12:00:04 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/30/2012 1:11:15 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The beginning of a universe is an event. An event presumes existence. Therefore a universe doesn't begin.

Existence exists. Existence always has existed. Existence always will exist.

Justification?
P1:The beginning of a universe is an event.
P2:An event presumes existence.
(Unspoken P3): "Universe" means all existence.
(Unspoken P4): If a thing already exists it can't begin.
Conclusion: Therefore a universe doesn't begin.

Which of these premises are you disputing? Or do you not see how they lead to the conclusion?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 8:54:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 8:04:04 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:00:04 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/30/2012 1:11:15 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The beginning of a universe is an event. An event presumes existence. Therefore a universe doesn't begin.

Existence exists. Existence always has existed. Existence always will exist.

Justification?
P1:The beginning of a universe is an event.
P2:An event presumes existence.
(Unspoken P3): "Universe" means all existence.
(Unspoken P4): If a thing already exists it can't begin.
Conclusion: Therefore a universe doesn't begin.

Which of these premises are you disputing? Or do you not see how they lead to the conclusion?

Are you saying that our physical universe has always existed or that there is the Greater Universe that includes existence in general that goes beyond our physical universe?
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 9:09:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So much wrong with this....
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 9:52:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 12:49:43 PM, westernmarch wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:03:46 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/29/2012 5:46:28 PM, sadolite wrote:
In the beginning, the odds were 50/50 that anything could happen. With that said, shouldn't the universe be half filled with the first thing that happened?

You're either gay or not gay. Two options. Ergo there is a 50 percent chance you're gay!

This.

I believe gays make up 1/10 of American population.

I would say less. I don't think there is almost 40 million gay people in america.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 12:33:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 9:52:26 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:49:43 PM, westernmarch wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:03:46 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/29/2012 5:46:28 PM, sadolite wrote:
In the beginning, the odds were 50/50 that anything could happen. With that said, shouldn't the universe be half filled with the first thing that happened?

You're either gay or not gay. Two options. Ergo there is a 50 percent chance you're gay!

This.

I believe gays make up 1/10 of American population.

I would say less. I don't think there is almost 40 million gay people in america.

Sure there are. It's spreading like wildfire. Even though there's "no choice" to it, it continues to spread. Interesting isn't it?
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 12:39:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/1/2012 12:33:59 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/31/2012 9:52:26 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:49:43 PM, westernmarch wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:03:46 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/29/2012 5:46:28 PM, sadolite wrote:
In the beginning, the odds were 50/50 that anything could happen. With that said, shouldn't the universe be half filled with the first thing that happened?

You're either gay or not gay. Two options. Ergo there is a 50 percent chance you're gay!

This.

I believe gays make up 1/10 of American population.

I would say less. I don't think there is almost 40 million gay people in america.

Sure there are. It's spreading like wildfire. Even though there's "no choice" to it, it continues to spread. Interesting isn't it?

"Increases in homosexual populations are primarily due to individuals choosing to be gay."

Challenge me to that debate when you have the time.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 12:54:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/1/2012 12:39:53 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 6/1/2012 12:33:59 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/31/2012 9:52:26 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:49:43 PM, westernmarch wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:03:46 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/29/2012 5:46:28 PM, sadolite wrote:
In the beginning, the odds were 50/50 that anything could happen. With that said, shouldn't the universe be half filled with the first thing that happened?

You're either gay or not gay. Two options. Ergo there is a 50 percent chance you're gay!

This.

I believe gays make up 1/10 of American population.

I would say less. I don't think there is almost 40 million gay people in america.

Sure there are. It's spreading like wildfire. Even though there's "no choice" to it, it continues to spread. Interesting isn't it?

"Increases in homosexual populations are primarily due to individuals choosing to be gay."

Challenge me to that debate when you have the time.

Alright. Goodness. My debate list keeps growing... I'll try to fit you in next week.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 1:27:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/1/2012 12:54:01 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 6/1/2012 12:39:53 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 6/1/2012 12:33:59 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/31/2012 9:52:26 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:49:43 PM, westernmarch wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:03:46 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/29/2012 5:46:28 PM, sadolite wrote:
In the beginning, the odds were 50/50 that anything could happen. With that said, shouldn't the universe be half filled with the first thing that happened?

You're either gay or not gay. Two options. Ergo there is a 50 percent chance you're gay!

This.

I believe gays make up 1/10 of American population.

I would say less. I don't think there is almost 40 million gay people in america.

Sure there are. It's spreading like wildfire. Even though there's "no choice" to it, it continues to spread. Interesting isn't it?

"Increases in homosexual populations are primarily due to individuals choosing to be gay."

Challenge me to that debate when you have the time.

Alright. Goodness. My debate list keeps growing... I'll try to fit you in next week.

I will be waiting for this.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
LibertyCampbell
Posts: 288
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 1:44:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 8:04:04 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:00:04 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 5/30/2012 1:11:15 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The beginning of a universe is an event. An event presumes existence. Therefore a universe doesn't begin.

Existence exists. Existence always has existed. Existence always will exist.

Justification?
P1:The beginning of a universe is an event.
P2:An event presumes existence.
(Unspoken P3): "Universe" means all existence.
(Unspoken P4): If a thing already exists it can't begin.
Conclusion: Therefore a universe doesn't begin.

Which of these premises are you disputing? Or do you not see how they lead to the conclusion?

I'd like to see a justification for P1. I don't believe our cognitive senses are reliable, mind you.
"[Society] has no vested interest in continuing to exist." -RP
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 6:43:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'd like to see a justification for P1.

An event is a subject of the verb "To happen."

The beginning of this sentence happened.

I don't believe our cognitive senses are reliable, mind you.
Cognitive senses?

Are you saying that our physical universe has always existed
Physical universe? The subset of all things that exist that are physical?
Well, assuming be physical is to pertain to that which is material... A thing which is material cannot have a cause that does not pertain to the material, as to be the cause of a thing is to pertain to it. Therefore physicality exists, has always existed.

or that there is the Greater Universe
Universe= all that which exists. Singular. There' can't be "greater," "lesser."
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 7:28:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/31/2012 8:04:04 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
P1:The beginning of a universe is an event.
P2:An event presumes existence.
(Unspoken P3): "Universe" means all existence.
(Unspoken P4): If a thing already exists it can't begin.
Conclusion: Therefore a universe doesn't begin.

Which of these premises are you disputing? Or do you not see how they lead to the conclusion?

I see how they lead to the conclusion. If events presume some kind of prior existence and the beginning of the universe would be an event if it occurred, then it is logically contradictory to assert that the universe began to exist.

What support do you have for P2? Just an intuition that things can't 'just happen' without some kind of prior cause?
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 7:30:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/1/2012 12:33:59 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/31/2012 9:52:26 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:49:43 PM, westernmarch wrote:
At 5/31/2012 12:03:46 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 5/29/2012 5:46:28 PM, sadolite wrote:
In the beginning, the odds were 50/50 that anything could happen. With that said, shouldn't the universe be half filled with the first thing that happened?

You're either gay or not gay. Two options. Ergo there is a 50 percent chance you're gay!

This.

I believe gays make up 1/10 of American population.

I would say less. I don't think there is almost 40 million gay people in america.

Sure there are. It's spreading like wildfire. Even though there's "no choice" to it, it continues to spread. Interesting isn't it?

No, it's really that fewer people are afraid to come out.