Jump to topic:

Do A Little Bit to Help the Needy

Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 4:53:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't get it. Why don't they just cut out the middle man and donate all the rice.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 4:54:51 PM
At 6/2/2012 4:53:39 PM, Oryus wrote:
I don't get it. Why don't they just cut out the middle man and donate all the rice.

They can't. They earn the money to donate the rice through advertisements that you see when play their game. The more their pages refresh/update, the more money they receive and the more funds they can donate to the UN program.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 4:55:38 PM
At 6/2/2012 4:54:51 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

They can't. They earn the money to donate the rice through advertisements that you see when play their game. The more their pages refresh/update, the more money they receive and the more funds they can donate to the UN program.

I was about to say that.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 5:01:41 PM

Cool. That's what I guessed but I have no idea how that shiet works.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 5:44:11 PM
Close, but no cigar.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 5:54:37 PM
At 6/2/2012 4:51:57 PM, westernmarch wrote:
This is terribly easy

Turn the difficulty up to 60.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 5:56:36 PM
I started doing this until you said that the money was given to the UN.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 5:59:07 PM
At 6/2/2012 5:56:36 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Wow, really? They're buying rice for hungry people, and it doesn't hurt you at all to do it. In fact, it HELPS you because you improve your mastery of the English language.

Seriously :(
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 6:00:14 PM
At 6/2/2012 5:59:07 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Wow, really? They're buying rice for hungry people, and it doesn't hurt you at all to do it. In fact, it HELPS you because you improve your mastery of the English language.

Of course it hurts me. Ever heard of opportunity costs?

Regardless, I do not trust the UN.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 6:00:18 PM

Your bias is showing.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 6:00:48 PM
At 6/2/2012 6:00:18 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Your bias is showing.

?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 6:01:45 PM

I find that learning to increase one's vocabulary is a waste of time. Why should I bother learning words that nobody else knows. Nobody is going to understand what I'm saying If I use it.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 6:02:14 PM

You started doing this?

Lol, I don't think dissing the UN was a douchie enough counterbalance for how unexpected that is.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 6:03:20 PM
At 6/2/2012 6:01:45 PM, darkkermit wrote:

I find that learning to increase one's vocabulary is a waste of time. Why should I bother learning words that nobody else knows. Nobody is going to understand what I'm saying If I use it.

LmfaooOOoOoOo, Kermit.

Wtf, it's so weird, you will say something so intelligent and profound in another thread, and then post some shiit like this.

Lol... I think you have an interesting duality going on in your personality that you may eventually grow out of.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 6:04:00 PM
At 6/2/2012 6:02:14 PM, Ren wrote:

You started doing this?

Lol, I don't think dissing the UN was a douchie enough counterbalance for how unexpected that is.

Contrary to your belief, I support private charity initiatives that directly apply that money into the field.

Having the government (or a government) as an intermediary for any type of charity is unacceptable.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 6:04:37 PM

Usually it is impressive to employers, and it definitely helps high school students do well on the SAT
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 6:10:27 PM
At 6/2/2012 6:04:37 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Usually it is impressive to employers, and it definitely helps high school students do well on the SAT

Avoiding the use of slang and 'casual speak' goes a long way in job interviews and working on vocabulary def. helps with SATs.. Although over use of "big words" in general conversation, in presentations, or on a job interview has a negative effect.

There is a decent balance to it. Once shouldn't force a more complex word when a simple word would suffice, as it just seems unnatural.
Debate.org Moderator
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 6:13:26 PM

I really like this idea. It feeds the hungry and makes me feel better about my grasp on the English language.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 6:13:31 PM

Not sure about the employer thing. I suppose it depends on the position. However, if your trying to look smart, you can just find a few words, memorize them and use them for the interview.

Fair enough for hs students for the SATs. Although, the best way to study for it would be to use Barron's SAT booklet and they actually have a list of commonly used vocabulary words.

I'm not sure how well the whole "brute memorization" method works because you aren't really learning the words in context, but just learning a "close enough synonym". I think If your serious about increasing your reading SAT score, the best thing you can do is read a LOT of books.
Open borders debate:
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 6:18:05 PM
At 6/2/2012 6:13:31 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Not sure about the employer thing. I suppose it depends on the position. However, if your trying to look smart, you can just find a few words, memorize them and use them for the interview.

Fair enough for hs students for the SATs. Although, the best way to study for it would be to use Barron's SAT booklet and they actually have a list of commonly used vocabulary words.

I'm not sure how well the whole "brute memorization" method works because you aren't really learning the words in context, but just learning a "close enough synonym". I think If your serious about increasing your reading SAT score, the best thing you can do is read a LOT of books.

You are probably right, but I personally find the notion of purchasing books or courses for the standardized test to be unethical because it just provides the wealthy with an even greater advantage than they already have because they have better access to educational resources. I didn't study for the SAT for that reason. I did study for APs, but those are a different matter.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 6:32:19 PM
At 6/2/2012 6:18:05 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

You are probably right, but I personally find the notion of purchasing books or courses for the standardized test to be unethical because it just provides the wealthy with an even greater advantage than they already have because they have better access to educational resources. I didn't study for the SAT for that reason. I did study for APs, but those are a different matter.

I studied for mine, and it turned out to be a f*cking waste of time since I went to a state college anyways. I mean, I didn't get into Ivy league like yourself but I got into some decent colleges. If I went to Wheaton, I could've actually taken classes at Dartmouth College and dual degree in chemistry and chemical engineering. I guess its nice though because I got out of student debt and I do have a unique minor in nuclear engineering.
Open borders debate:
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 6:32:51 PM

... if you're* trying to look smart ...
I think if you're* ...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 6:41:08 PM
Interesting. You can actually pick other subjects such as mathematics or SAT preparation.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 6:44:04 PM
At 6/2/2012 6:32:19 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/2/2012 6:18:05 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

I studied for mine, and it turned out to be a f*cking waste of time since I went to a state college anyways. I mean, I didn't get into Ivy league like yourself but I got into some decent colleges. If I went to Wheaton, I could've actually taken classes at Dartmouth College and dual degree in chemistry and chemical engineering. I guess its nice though because I got out of student debt and I do have a unique minor in nuclear engineering.

Picking Columbia over OSU was the worst mistake of my life. I'm going to be swamped with debt and I would have gotten a comparable education for free at OSU.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 7:22:30 PM
At 6/2/2012 6:44:34 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Anyways, this thread has been derailed. Back to the topic, please.

What were we supposed to talk about?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 7:30:33 PM
At 6/2/2012 7:22:30 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 6/2/2012 6:44:34 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Anyways, this thread has been derailed. Back to the topic, please.

What were we supposed to talk about?

How we can give food to the hungry while boosting our self-esteems.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2012 7:48:04 PM
At 6/2/2012 6:44:04 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Picking Columbia over OSU was the worst mistake of my life. I'm going to be swamped with debt and I would have gotten a comparable education for free at OSU.

OSU is a great school, it's in the mid-west, its got a decent football program, and I have a few friends that go there that say its an excellent school. For things that actually matter, the education offered there isn't significantly different, though going to an ivy certainly doesn't hurt.

My sister went to BU for undergrad and is now at Yale for her PHd. I think she would say that going to any respectable school for undergrad (in lieu of an ivy) was beneficial to her for many reasons, especially financially, but going to an ivy afterwards for grad school definitely has its benefits.
Debate.org Moderator