Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Interesting Thing to Ponder

asiansarentnerdy
Posts: 124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2009 8:18:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
This is something began noticing more and more frequently through AIM and Facebook.

I noticed that when people criticize someone through the web, it somehow makes it seem less mean when "lol" or some sort of emoticon is added behind the insult. This makes the insult get across in sort of a joking manner so that it seems less of an insult, even though it is still an insult.

Example..
1a. I don't like that game. Its not fun.

1b. Lol, I don't like that game. XD
Its not funnn :P

Maybe its just me, but doesn'the second example kidna of "lessen" the impact of the insult?
I'm asian.
untitled_entity
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2009 8:20:29 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/20/2009 8:18:18 PM, asiansarentnerdy wrote:
This is something began noticing more and more frequently through AIM and Facebook.

I noticed that when people criticize someone through the web, it somehow makes it seem less mean when "lol" or some sort of emoticon is added behind the insult. This makes the insult get across in sort of a joking manner so that it seems less of an insult, even though it is still an insult.

Example..
1a. I don't like that game. Its not fun.

1b. Lol, I don't like that game. XD
Its not funnn :P

Maybe its just me, but doesn'the second example kidna of "lessen" the impact of the insult?

it's kinda like when someone says 'no offense' when they say something offensive.
ToastOfDestiny
Posts: 990
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2009 9:04:08 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/20/2009 8:18:18 PM, asiansarentnerdy wrote:
This is something began noticing more and more frequently through AIM and Facebook.

I noticed that when people criticize someone through the web, it somehow makes it seem less mean when "lol" or some sort of emoticon is added behind the insult. This makes the insult get across in sort of a joking manner so that it seems less of an insult, even though it is still an insult.

Example..
1a. I don't like that game. Its not fun.

1b. Lol, I don't like that game. XD
Its not funnn :P

Maybe its just me, but doesn'the second example kidna of "lessen" the impact of the insult?

It's a way to add humanity to what you're saying. Without being able to read body language, texts/chats are often read literally. It's hard to convey that you're joking or not that serious when you insult something.

In real life, would you say, with a stone face, "This game isn't fun"? Or would you smile and say "Hey guys - this game kinda sucks"?
At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
Our demise and industrial destruction
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Only exists in your head, as already shown.

At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
reveal why you answer with a question mark
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Because it was a question.

RFDs Pl0x:
http://www.debate.org...
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2009 9:39:17 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Lol, this thread is stupid and OP is too! LOL, no offense, rofl, etc.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2009 9:49:04 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
You all make me sick lol :-) xoxox
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2009 10:35:17 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/23/2009 10:33:51 AM, wjmelements wrote:
Emoticons and fake "lol" 's tick me off.

lol XD then your like gay hahahahha lol
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2009 2:26:14 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 8/23/2009 10:33:51 AM, wjmelements wrote:
Emoticons and fake "lol" 's tick me off.

Fake emoticons and fake lol's tick me off.
Fix'd

I think it's a matter of who is using the emoticons and the lol's and the "no offense" lines and how it's being used, really. For some people, I really do get their point and their intent is believable, but for the overwhelming majority, I know they're just f*cking around constantly.

It is annoying to me precisely because these people are degrading the intelligent people's vital method for getting a controversial argument across openly, so the receiver doesn't become really emotional and therefore unreceptive.

But I guess using it retardedly has certain redeeming aspects. It makes true trust and true friendship a hell of a lot more valuable.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?